PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: James Sanders re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss: James Sanders Signs

I'm a James Sanders fan, so glad to see him back. I suspect his contract will be for slightly bigger money than some are expecting though.

I wonder what kind of money he got? Regardless, bringing back a vet safety who already knows the system makes sense as long as the price is right. Even Meriweather didn't do much his first year. So if we draft a rookie safety, the guy won't have the pressure of having to start right away either.

Sanders is fine but would of preferred Sean Jones

I wonder what kind of money he got? Regardless, bringing back a vet safety who already knows the system makes sense as long as the price is right. Even Meriweather didn't do much his first year. So if we draft a rookie safety, the guy won't have the pressure of having to start right away either.

I agree. Meriweather is showing signs of becoming a Pro Bowl safety, and I think Sanders is a good player who could definitely fill that role of providing quality play in the interim if we choose to draft a highly graded safety.

I like Sanders a lot, and maintaining continuity at the safety position will be big as we bolster the CB position (and Wilhite and Wheatley continue to grow in the system.)

Ok, I went team by team. Below is 24 safeties I believe are definitely better than James Sanders and 9 whom I believe are probably better. Then there are the remaining 30 or so Safeties remaining, which I believe is the category where Sanders fits in. I think hes a good player to have, but it would be nice to upgrade. Sanders is still only 25 and has experience which is great, so unlike some players here, he should still be improving

Definitely Better (24)
Ken Hamlin, DAL
Kenny Phillips, NYG
Quintin Mikell, PHI
Brian Dawkins, DEN
Laron Landry WAS
Jim Leonhard, BAL
Antrell Rolle, ARI
Adrian Wilson, ARI
Ed Reed, BAL
Mike Brown, CHI
Sean Jones, CLE
Atari Bigby, GB
Bob Sanders, IND
Antoine Bethea, IND
Yeremiah Bell, MIA
Brandon Merriweather, NWE
Kerry Rhodes, NYJ
Gibril Wilson, MIA
Troy Polamalu, PIT
Ryan Clark, PIT
Eric Weddle, SD
Oshi Otogwe, STL
Michael Griffin, TEN
Chris Hope, TEN

Probably Better (9)
Chris Horton, WAS
Erick Coleman, ATL
Donte Whitner, BUF
Brodney Pool, CLE
Renaldo Hill, MIA
Darren Sharper, MIN
Madieu Williams, MIN
Michael Lewis, SF
Deon Grant, SEA

I'm happy about this. I was worried he was about the become the next Chief or Bronco.

i dont mind having him as a backup at safety, but as a starter hes below league average. i hope we can find an impact safety in FA or in the draft

I agree with bdog. There was a reason the Pats 3rd down D and red zone D was among the worst in the league (against a cupcake schedule). It wasn't Vrabel, it was the DBs. Rodney at his age rehabbing from another major injury is still way better than Sanders. Let's hope one of those 2nd rd picks is a safety. Rd 1 we need a CB.

i also have a feeling that if we sign both springs and bodden, we try to move springs to safety

i also have a feeling that if we sign both springs and bodden, we try to move springs to safety

Sure hope so. The guy's older than dirt. j/k

I would SERIOUSLY like to see some honest analysis on Watson and Sanders.

I think they are way under-rated. Watson is a solid TE with deadly speed. He'll better with Tom, but he was far from terrible.
I think JSanders is a good safety is definitely at an age where he can get better. He'll be starting next year beside Meri.

From Reiss:

Sanders, who enters his fifth NFL season, started all 14 games in which he played last year. He was credited by Patriots coaches with 66 tackles, sixth best on the team, and added one interception.

In the past, Sanders has been credited by Patriots coaches with aiding the overall communication of the secondary, as his knowledge of the overall defense is considered valuable.

He is a projected starter at safety for 2009 alongside Brandon Meriweather.

Last edited:

goood news about Sanders....I still think draft a safety in the draft(1 0f 2's)....wasn't the pats using alot 3 safety sets this year.....GO PATS!!!!!!

Sure hope so. The guy's older than dirt. j/k

I would SERIOUSLY like to see some honest analysis on Watson and Sanders.

I think they are way under-rated. Watson is a solid TE with deadly speed. He'll better with Tom, but he was far from terrible.
I think JSanders is a good safety is definitely at an age where he can get better. He'll be starting next year beside Meri.

From Reiss:

I'm high on Sanders. I like the way he plays, and think he's a smart player who will get better and better as he plays.

Watson...eh. He has all the tools, but seems to mentally check out. He makes big mistakes and hasn't been able to put it all together. I've all but given up on him, which is a shame.

The thing i noticed most about sanders is the poor angles he takes. another thing, i dont think he has a knack for the football. some players are just at the right place at the right time more than others, and he just doesnt have that. i think hes a good #3 S to provide depth. nonetheless, he probably starts at least a few games for us, if not all games

Great move. I'm really pleased with this.

I think it says a lot that Sanders could have gotten more money elsewhere, but chose to stay with the Pats. Whatever his shortcomings, he is a team player. He also offers good versatility at both FS and SS.

What Sanders gives us is an adequate starter next to Meriweather, and a really strong 3rd safety in a 3-man rotation. I believe the "upgrade" that many people want will come in the first 47 picks of the draft, in the form of Sean Smith, Louis Delmas, Patrick Chung or William Moore. Any of those would be an upgrade over Sanders at starting S, and would make a great rotation along with Meriweather and Sanders.

I also think that the ultimate goal is to build the best team possible, not the best rotation at each position. The fact is there is only so much cap room to go around, and at $3M/year Sanders is reasonably priced. Meriweather's contract is very reasonable, and a 2nd round rookie contract will not be too exorbitant, so we should be able to have a solid 3 man rotation for not much more than Denver could end up paying to 35 year old Brian Dawkins (5 years at $27M if he meets all the escalators, though this isn't too likely).

Money spent at the safety position can be used elsewhere: CB, resigning Mankins/Wilfork, or a FA (Peppers?).

I think Meri's noteworthy improvement is something to bear in mind. This may also involve a projection of how James and Brandon can improve this off-season.

That's a very nice, young Safety tandem, especially if they are coachable and will make an effort to improve (which I believe they will).

Rodney would be nice to bring back on a rotaional basis and the D needs some leadership. He probably can't pass a physical yet, though. Same may be for Tank.

I like this signing. He may not be great, but he's a solid safety who knows the system and can contribute.

Terms of the deal:
Scout.com: Safety Back in the Fold

Scout.com has confirmed the Patriots agreed to terms on a three-year worth $9 million. He'll make close to $4 million in the first year of the deal. The four-year pro has started 31 games in his career and was also pursued by the Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles.

3 yrs. 9M, with 4M in the first year. i wonder how this affects our pursuit of other FA's

3 yrs. 9M, with 4M in the first year. i wonder how this affects our pursuit of other FA's

That's signing bonus money included as well with 1st year compensation.

Somewhere, in a dark and isolated room, DW Toys is kicking a kitten.

Should we take round the clock shifts shifts for a while? Emergency 800 number? He is a comrade after all.:confused3:

With this signing and the Bodden non-signing, as of now it looks like a stud LB is THE prize that BB is looking for this year. So my money's on a huge FA signing (Suggs anyone?), or us trading up in the draft to get someone if need be. Doesn't look like Peppers is going to happen now either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News