PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Bryant A Patriot? Not This Time Either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Red Bryant A Patriot? Not This Time Either...
By:

You understand with that organization, the history that comes with it, and it's a specific type of player that they like. I was honored to be one of those guys...

Pretty misleading headline. He makes it sound like it is not going to happen when in truth it is just his opinion.

Pretty misleading headline. He makes it sound like it is not going to happen when in truth it is just his opinion.
No kidding. I thought when I read the headline that he'd somehow reupped with Seattle.

His point is that the draft has a supply of big, talented run stuffers with less of a cap hit. Valid, but if Pats plan to go TE or SS or OLB/DE in the 1st 2 rounds and OC in the 3rd, FA may be the answer. What I did learn is that Red has nice things to say about the Pats. Smart FA self-marketing, big guy!

Not only is the headline misleading, his idea that the draft is full of talented big linemen couldn't be more wrong. This is a lousy draft for big linemen. I'd much prefer a draftee, but even if the Pats had a high pick, It's an off year for mobile huge big men who produce.

I defer to those of you who know college players.

Not only is the headline misleading, his idea that the draft is full of talented big linemen couldn't be more wrong. This is a lousy draft for big linemen. I'd much prefer a draftee, but even if the Pats had a high pick, It's an off year for mobile huge big men who produce.

Rayclay- This draft is actually pretty deep with potential NTs and has several good 3-Tech guys. The bigger question is whether or not the Patriots are in a position to add one or two of them.

This draft is very deep with over-all talent and there are some good prospects that would fill needs for the Pats on the D-Line.

That being said, I was disappointed with the article because it is well known that Big Vince was playing with a leg injury before his Achilles blew out, yet the author doesn't recognize this at all.

This is not one of his better articles.

Waste of a good 45 seconds

There are a few from the college ranks who could help the Pats line, but only a couple that would have an immediate impact, as far as I can see. Few rookies do.

I prefer they strengthen their D-Line through free agency.

Bryant? No idea - he won't be as expensive as this article makes it seem.

Griffen or some other pass rusher...and another big body inside. Proven vets who perform, please.

Rayclay- This draft is actually pretty deep with potential NTs and has several good 3-Tech guys. The bigger question is whether or not the Patriots are in a position to add one or two of them.

This draft is very deep with over-all talent and there are some good prospects that would fill needs for the Pats on the D-Line.

That being said, I was disappointed with the article because it is well known that Big Vince was playing with a leg injury before his Achilles blew out, yet the author doesn't recognize this at all.

This is not one of his better articles.

I'm not an XO guy and I believe this draft is strong in the type of DL we already have, which is undersized pass rushers. As far as big physical guys, there's Dix who seems a 2 down player and Hageman, who is a great physical specimen but has a bad rep as far as motor and attitude.

I'm not arguing with anyone on college players, that would be stupid, I'm just giving my impressions and based on what I've read and seen (though those are highlights, of course).

Are there a bunch of huge, athletic DL who've performed? I don't think so. Are we looking for 3 technique linemen in the first? Maybe at 29, I suppose. It's unlikely a premium player with the size we want will be available IMO.

I think it was Mayock who said this class was poor, but i couldn't find that quote. Here's some stuff, though.

--------------------

Gathering more intel on DTs & TEs - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN

NFL Draft 2014: Mike Mayock Talks Defensive Line Draft Prospects - Blogging The Boys

MAYOCK: Yeah, it's mixed bag. The defensive tackles are kind of a mixed bag, for instance, my top two guys, [Louis] Nix and [Timmy] Jernigan couldn't be different, Nix is a typical nose tackle and Jernigan is more of that three technique. I think Jernigan can step in and be special, early. I think I can Nix is a little different kind of player. He's a 330‑pound nose. Aaron Donald from Pitt has three technique, quick, up field penetrator, but I don't think he's going until late one, early two. And I've talked about [Ra'Shede] Hageman as a little bit of a boom‑or‑a‑bust, talented guy, 6‑6, 320, who could play anywhere up and down that defensive line, and then Dominique Easley in my Top‑5 is injured, the second ACL and I don't think he's going to go until about the third round or so. There are two LSU players that are second or third round guys and I think there's some pretty good depth in the first three rounds, and I think Jernigan is a guy that if he's sitting there when the Bears are on the board at 14, I think you'd sprint to the podium.

Mike Mayock Cold On Louis Nix For The Steelers, Hot On Kyle Fuller

"Regarding Nix, some teams and general managers really like him as a prototypical nose tackle," Mayock said. “[He’s a] big kid, he’s got good, short area quickness for a 330-pound guy. He had a knee [issue] last year, flashed but didn’t play at a high level all the time. He’s got to be a little bit lighter. He’s got to play at 330, so the question is can he gain an edge and push the pocket. If you believe in that, then he’s probably a top-20 pick. If you don’t believe that, he’s probably not a top 20 pick for your team

Reiss likes Daquan Jones in the 3rd and that looks fine to me, though i really can't evaluate these guys personally. We might need a second, but the point is, you can't obsess on a certain position with a 1st, you need to get the best player that's available that fits your needs.

I don't think there is a center, nor do we need to spend a 1st. Tight end or defensive back would seem to be areas to improve, but I usually don't guess right on this team, so I won't try.

Thread title is a fail.

Rob Rang has Justin Gilbert being drafted twice, is that legal? :D

nah..that's Justin Gilbert and Gilbert Justin gettin' mixed up again:D

Seahawks just released him. Make the move, Bill.

Seahawks just released him. Make the move, Bill.

8934492_l.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back