PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prisco: Solder will start right away

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is sort of like saying that all Brady is used for is to play QB.

Slater is on the team to play special teams. We usually keep 2-3 players who are what I have called "sepcial teams only" players. Slater did not have ONE pass thrown to him in 2010. He is not here to play wide receiver.

Last year, Slater and Tracey White were special teams only players. I would re-sign White in a heartbeat.

The question is who will beat out these 2 as top special teams players that they are.

That being said, I see us keeping 25 on offense (if there is no roster expansion).
QB 3
RB 4
WR 5
TE 4
OL 9
---------------------------

Slater will need to compete with defensive STers for his roster spot, guys like White, Barrett, and Brown. As of now, I have us keeping 2 of the 4.

...let him take over Slater's slot as all Slater is used for is ST.

I don't have a whole lot of respect for Prisco's opinion. But...

I would say it's conceivable that Solder starts right away IF there is a full training camp. If there is not, then I say no way. The guy is a bit of a project to begin with, and even though Scar had a fellow project ready sooner than anyone expected in Vollmer, there is no way we can miss the traditional training camp and expect to see Solder at LT opening day.

Last edited:
I don't have a whole lot of respect for Prisco's opinion. But...

I would say it's conceivable that Solder starts right away IF there is a full training camp. If there is not, then I say no way. The guy is a bit of a project to begin with, and even though Scar had a fellow project ready sooner than anyone expected in Vollmer, there is no way we can miss the traditional training camp and expect to see Solder at LT opening day.

I think I agree with this. Unless they get Light for nothing (1 year $3 million or something) Light's a goner-it's just not worth it to have 2 pure left tackles on a team. So I assume they go with LeVoir or Kacur at LT until Solder is up to speed (might as well keep Vollmer where he'll play all year long) and game plan accordingly.

While I agree, Belichick may decide that the best protection for Brady would be Vollmer at LT and Kaczur at RT. The left side would be very strong with Vollmer and Mankins. The right side would have Connolly and Kaczur, with the option of a free agent in one of those spots.

I think I agree with this. Unless they get Light for nothing (1 year $3 million or something) Light's a goner-it's just not worth it to have 2 pure left tackles on a team. So I assume they go with LeVoir or Kacur at LT until Solder is up to speed (might as well keep Vollmer where he'll play all year long) and game plan accordingly.

Agreed. Light will be able to get more than a 1 year deal on the market, so I think he's lost and agree that LeVoir or Kaczur will fill in that spot until Solder is ready.

It is interesting that a moth ago many thought that LeVoir had little chance to make the team. Now that Belichick used a #1 pick at LeVoir's position, LeVoir is a possible starting LT. I am missing something.

It is interesting that a moth ago many thought that LeVoir had little chance to make the team. Now that Belichick used a #1 pick at LeVoir's position, LeVoir is a possible starting LT. I am missing something.

You didn't hear me say that LeVoir was a longshot to make the team. He's not a great player but he's a great 45th man on your game day roster/injury substitute--he's cheap (about 900k) and acceptable at LT and RT. Light doesn't have the positional flexibility and would be very expensive. Kaczur is ideal if he's healthy and if he takes a paycut, but you don't want a backup with a 4.4 million cap number.

It's simple.

If we hadn't drafted Solder, we would've resigned Light, granting us immediate starting caliber LT play, making one of LeVoir/Kaczur expendable.

Since we have drafted Solder, we are now very unlikely to be able to resign Light, making one of or both LeVoir/Kaczur essential.

I see no problem with paying a healthy Kaczur $3.4M of salary to start at LT (or RT) until Solder is ready, and be a backup the rest of the year at LT and RT.

Ok. I do not want to plan to start the season with my 45th best player starting at LT. I'd much rather pay a seasoned vet $3M or $4M to be my starter for the year, or until Solder is ready.

You didn't hear me say that LeVoir was a longshot to make the team. He's not a great player but he's a great 45th man on your game day roster/injury substitute--he's cheap (about 900k) and acceptable at LT and RT. Light doesn't have the positional flexibility and would be very expensive. Kaczur is ideal if he's healthy and if he takes a paycut, but you don't want a backup with a 4.4 million cap number.

Ok. I do not want to plan to start the season with my 45th best player starting at LT. I'd much rather pay a seasoned vet $3M or $4M to be my starter for the year, or until Solder is ready.

What if that 3 million was the difference between Ninkovich and Ray Edwards as a starting OLB?

It's hard to say how much a short term veteran should be paid without having any idea of what the salary cap rules and the Pats' budget will be like next year.

If you are asking whether I consider a starting LT for 2011 more important than a starting OLB, I'll vote LT every time this year and every year. It is instructive that belichick drafted a LT in the first instead of an OLB.

I'd much rather upgrade starting LT LeVoir (with maneri as backup) than one of our OLB's.

But then, we each have our own priorities.

What if that 3 million was the difference between Ninkovich and Ray Edwards as a starting OLB?

It's hard to say how much a short term veteran should be paid without having any idea of what the salary cap rules and the Pats' budget will be like next year.

Last edited:
If you asking whether I consider a starting LT for 2011 more important than a starting OLB, I'll vote LT every time this eyar and every year. It is instructive that belichick drafted a LT in the first instead of an OLB.

No, I'm asking how valuable the stop-gap LT is when you have a rookie LT who you liked enough to draft 17. I assume they think Solder can start as a rookie or they wouldn't have drafted him where they did.

EDIT: Clearly they could be wrong and he might not be ready to play effectively as a rookie, but when you're building a team you can't use too many resouces in cash and draft picks on one position, and with Solder they're using a lot of resources at LT. Likewise you can't have many (if any) $3-4 million players who aren't going to contribute a lot throughout the season.

Last edited:
No, I'm asking how valuable the stop-gap LT is when you have a rookie LT who you liked enough to draft 17. I assume they think Solder can start as a rookie or they wouldn't have drafted him where they did.

This.

Solder did not get drafted #17 to ride the pine. I've stated before that Light is not G material nor is he RT material as Seabass is there.

EDIT: Clearly they could be wrong and he might not be ready to play effectively as a rookie, but when you're building a team you can't use too many resouces in cash and draft picks on one position, and with Solder they're using a lot of resources at LT. Likewise you can't have many (if any) $3-4 million players who aren't going to contribute a lot throughout the season.

Solder has both strength and technique issues.

Solder has both strength and technique issues.

Reportedly.

If they're severe enough to keep him from being a solid contributor as a rookie then he's not a particularly good draft pick-a middle of the first round offensive lineman really needs to start from day one to be worth the pick.

Last edited:
Reportedly.

If they're severe enough to keep him from being a solid contributor as a rookie then he's not a particularly good draft pick.

That's simply not correct.

Being a little too tough, Deus. Every OT prospect has concerns coming into the draft. Look at Vollmer. He was good on strength but they even said he needs to put on 10-15 lbs of muscle.

National Football League: NFL Draft 2009 - Sebastian Vollmer

Negatives: Still a bit raw due to inexperience. Played left tackle for UH but is best on the right side in the NFL because he lacks the requisite lateral movement and recovery speed. His pad level is too high on most plays. Will lose the leverage battle and get pushed into the quarterback by stronger pro defensive ends unless he bends his knees and uses his hands effectively. Does not stay with his man if his quarterback scrambles. Could sustain blocks better by moving his feet, as he tends to simply push the defender and lose his balance. Struggles to adjust quickly to late blitzes and at the second level. Houston's pass-happy, spread offense did not allow him to line up with his hand on the ground very often. Must learn to explode from his stance in short-yardage situations.

Love the Solder and Cannon picks . . . the Pats O-line needed a serious upgrade after getting manhandled by physical D-lines during the playoffs the past few years . . .

It's clearly a matter of opinion. If you think using number 17 on a non-QB player who doesn't contribute as a rookie is a good use of that pick, bully for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft