PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats made Inquiries about Chase Young

Teams typically sign their best players.

Haven't we found out already that the FA market has the bare minimum for us?

We've actually been bringing in the to guys available at these positions; DE Judon; TE Smith, Gesicki, Henry; WR Algolor, Bourne, Smith-Schuster.

The fact that this isn't good enough isn't for a lack of trying to sign people. It's because the FGA market isn't really how you build a team.

Smith was a bust, Agolor was a bust, JSS was a bust.

We needed Hopkins and to keep Meyers this off season. huge misstep.
We needed to make a Legitimate play for a WR, not bargain shopping for leftovers.

Smith was a bust, Agolor was a bust, JSS was a bust.

We needed Hopkins and to keep Meyers this off season. huge misstep.
We needed to make a Legitimate play for a WR, not bargain shopping for leftovers.

They were the top FA WRs. Whether they busted or not is irrelevant (though you might notice that the guys who busted and left are now doubling their production in their new venues--don't be surprised if Jonnu makes the Pro Bowl now that he has a real QB).

They were the top FA WRs. Whether they busted or not is irrelevant (though you might notice that the guys who busted and left are now doubling their production in their new venues--don't be surprised if Jonnu makes the Pro Bowl now that he has a real QB).
When the Top FA WR are Trash, Maybe spend the money on players that are actually going to help. Everyone knew agolohor was trash. the TE were exciting, but ultimately were not great.

Juju was arguably NOT the top FA, Meyers was,

49ers 3rd rd pick

I don't know why we're complaining.

If we could've signed Young he'd be a great piece to have.

We have plenty of salary cap.

In case you haven't looked, not many teams want to part with their top WRs

Too bad we couldn't do better than San Fran. I would've given up a 4th and 5th for him.

A 3rd is too rich considering we'll probably be picking around 67 or 68
Niners have had and continue to have a huge advantage in trades due to their bevy of 3rd rd comp picks, gifted to them by the ridiculous and ineffective draft pick comp rules for minority coaching hires, like this brotha….IMG_9901.jpeg

When the Top FA WR are Trash, Maybe spend the money on players that are actually going to help. Everyone knew agolohor was trash. the TE were exciting, but ultimately were not great.

Juju was arguably NOT the top FA, Meyers was,
I think you're missing the point.

We needed WRs and TEs, and we went after the best money could by.

This is WHY I wrote that the FA market is the 3rd best option when it comes to building a team.

This is WHY I wrote that the FA market is the 3rd best option when it comes to building a team.

Use Jets strategies, wind up like Jets.

I’m not buying the Pats were “inquiring” about Chase Young. Chase Winovich maybe…not Chase Young. I think BB texted the wrong person.

At the end of their careers.

All the players you mentioned except Thuney got a second contract at least in New England.

And Thuney was the only mistake.

But what about all the players that earned 2nd and 3rd contracts over the years? Seymour actually had 3 w/ the Patriots. How much longer did he play? Gronk was here until he was broken down.

Now, name me the team that doesn't get rid of players who cost more than they're worth, to use your words. You say other teams don't do that. Which teams?
Sometimes players resign for less than they can get elsewhere. Otherwise the Pats would have no interest in them. Those are probably the players you're thinking of.

I said that the players cost more than they're worth to the Pats. You left that part out.

Letting Brady go was not only a mistake but one of the biggest blunders of all time. And it's now exposing just how much Bill depended on Brady for his success. He has none without him, and is actually mostly a losing HC for those 10 seasons

But Bill's making inquiries so everything's great.

yes true. but it was pretty evident that (1) Agholor and Jonnu were a poor fit here, (2) Henry could have been very good here, (3) the Pats over paid to sign them.
1) Agholor's strengths (speed) and weaknesses (route running/hands) were never going to be a good fit here with Cam/Mac at QB. Jonnu struggled learning the offense, and was thinking rather than playing. Poor fit for McD.
2) the Pats really went above and beyond for Jonnu and Agholor (and Henry) yet would not for Thuney, Karras or Meyers. 6 free agent decisions. an argument can be made given the money paid and production, all 6 were mistakes. missing on Harry, Agholor, and Meyers
then creates the mistakes that are JuJu and Parker.
not hard to understand why this offense is not working well

yes true. but it was pretty evident that (1) Agholor and Jonnu were a poor fit here, (2) Henry could have been very good here, (3) the Pats over paid to sign them.
1) Agholor's strengths (speed) and weaknesses (route running/hands) were never going to be a good fit here with Cam/Mac at QB. Jonnu struggled learning the offense, and was thinking rather than playing. Poor fit for McD.
2) the Pats really went above and beyond for Jonnu and Agholor (and Henry) yet would not for Thuney, Karras or Meyers. 6 free agent decisions. an argument can be made given the money paid and production, all 6 were mistakes. missing on Harry, Agholor, and Meyers
The real question is why we needed WRs and TEs, and you could throw OL in there too, if we were getting rid of them? We had a lot of holes on offense and still do.

Sorry, did you say a #6 pick for Young? Never mind, that’s a tad too rich for us….

Sometimes players resign for less than they can get elsewhere. Otherwise the Pats would have no interest in them. Those are probably the players you're thinking of.

I said that the players cost more than they're worth to the Pats. You left that part out.

Letting Brady go was not only a mistake but one of the biggest blunders of all time. And it's now exposing just how much Bill depended on Brady for his success. He has none without him, and is actually mostly a losing HC for those 10 seasons

But Bill's making inquiries so everything's great.
Letting Brady go wasn't a blunder but we've been through this multiple times.

All teams let top players go in their last years. All teams.

But here the organizational viewpoint is to always have a strong middle class because there are 22 players on the field, and paying a few players top money allows other teams to exploit your weak link. In all sports other coaches exploit your weaknesses, but this would be especially true in a sport with 22 players on the field.

What do you think happens when offenses face off against the Patriots? They are running to Uche's side and throwing the ball whereever Bryant is.

I already said Thuney was a mistake. Mason got his money. It was the wrong decision.

I don't get worked up on Meyers and Smith-Schuster for a number of reasons. The biggest is that these 2 are not number 1 receivers and they pretty much look like all other other WRs, both of them. The money isn't that great either. I went back to the Juju-Meyers thread from March, and I was one of the few people who preferred Meyers. 90% of the board preferred Juju and they mostly offered his YAC as the difference between them. I did not dig in because I thought they had a valid argument and I also thought this was not a game changer for us in any sense. Only one poster out of the 50+ that posted thought this was a grave mistake, and that was jlboot.

I don't get how signing Jonnu is a mistake or Algholor and Henry for that matter when the alternative is not having ANYONE else to play those positions. They were the best in FA.

Karras, he's horrible for Cincy right now, he was a decent backup for Andrews, but a horrible guard for us. That wasn't a mistake. You'd want him playing over Onwenu and Strange? Not me.

Once again it's Bills interest to beef up the side of the ball where his two sons coach. The offense is non-competitive and that's his biggest inquiry? So damn ridiculous.
Oh boy wish He had given the face Steve Belichick the OC Job we would have better Talent on Offense. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk