PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats made Inquiries about Chase Young

That **** works though. Some fans buy it hook, line and sinker.
Oh without a doubt it does.. when a team actually does it. Still mind blowing BB like many other deals that got nixed.. could not complete the deal for Diggs becuase guaranteed money.

Everyone uses the same methods. The Patriots obviously have always done all 3. The draft is most important, then trades. FA is the last resort.
But there's something that Bill does that other teams don't. He gets rid of players when they cost more than he thinks they're worth, no matter how great they are or how important. It started with Seymour but most recently involved Brady, Gronk, Thuney and Gilmore. For this fan that just plain sucks.

Oh without a doubt it does.. when a team actually does it. Still mind blowing BB like many other deals that got nixed.. could not complete the deal for Diggs becuase guaranteed money.
I'm not a big Diggser. At that time he actually singled out Amendola publicly, which I didn't care for.

At some point B&B need to appreciate what they have and pay as many of those type players as possible. Other teams do it.

I'm not a big Diggser. At that time he actually singled out Amendola publicly, which I didn't care for.

At some point B&B need to appreciate what they have and pay as many of those type players as possible. Other teams do it.
It's been a way of business they have always done and been able to maintain as we've all known due to the GOAT. At that time 2019 Diggs would have been phenomenal with brady and who knows could have been a huge factor in him staying.. yeah I know he's a diva WR.. but the guys a baller on the field.

But there's something that Bill does that other teams don't. He gets rid of players when they cost more than he thinks they're worth, no matter how great they are or how important. It started with Seymour but most recently involved Brady, Gronk, Thuney and Gilmore. For this fan that just plain sucks.
At the end of their careers.

All the players you mentioned except Thuney got a second contract at least in New England.

And Thuney was the only mistake.

But what about all the players that earned 2nd and 3rd contracts over the years? Seymour actually had 3 w/ the Patriots. How much longer did he play? Gronk was here until he was broken down.

Now, name me the team that doesn't get rid of players who cost more than they're worth, to use your words. You say other teams don't do that. Which teams?

It's been a way of business they have always done and been able to maintain as we've all known due to the GOAT. At that time 2019 Diggs would have been phenomenal with brady and who knows could have been a huge factor in him staying.. yeah I know he's a diva WR.. but the guys a baller on the field.
Diggs was traded in 2020.

Bills gave up better draft picks than the Patriots even had that year, unless you believe they should have given up both a 1st rder and a 2nd.

By the way, if the Bills hadn't traded for Diggs, they could've taken someone who was even better than Diggs in the 1st rd., and they wouldn't have had to pay him a huge contract for several years.

By the way, if the Bills hadn't traded for Diggs, they could've taken someone who was even better than Diggs in the 1st rd., and they wouldn't have had to pay him a huge contract for several years.
If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

His GM duties continue to get further exposed with the best pick of career he ever made in the 6th round at 199. Even patriots loyalists like Tom Curran have now turned on BB the GM.
@Pape
GMs miss on guys all the time.. but it's so
Diggs was traded in 2020.

Bills gave up better draft picks than the Patriots even had that year, unless you believe they should have given up both a 1st rder and a 2nd.
I misspoke it was 2020 my mistake . Diggs went for a 4th didn't he?

That is also true.. but I think they still made out... Diggs was better with Allen than he was in minny.. he's 31 and still one of the top 5 WRs in the league. He's probably the best route runner in the league.. (JC JAGson said he agreed).

Gronk retired. Brady chose to leave. Gilmore was injured. Thuney chose to leave.
None were worth the cost moving forward given the circumstances.

49ers 3rd rd pick

I don't know why we're complaining.

If we could've signed Young he'd be a great piece to have.

We have plenty of salary cap.

In case you haven't looked, not many teams want to part with their top WRs

Too bad we couldn't do better than San Fran. I would've given up a 4th and 5th for him.

A 3rd is too rich considering we'll probably be picking around 67 or 68
Too rich? His pressure rate vs qb’s is top 5 in the NFL. Barmore, Judon Young could of been the best front in years for the Pats in 24.

49ers going for it just like last year with McCaffrey. Gotta respect that. Even if they dont win they keep it rolling. They botched the Trey Lance pick and lost capital and still didn’t lose a beat.

Then again, Young may ha e tipped the balance of the top 3 pick.

@Pape
GMs miss on guys all the time.. but it's so
I misspoke it was 2020 my mistake . Diggs went for a 4th didn't he?
lot more than a 4th... from wikipedia

"On March 20, 2020, the Vikings traded Diggs and their seventh round draft pick to the Buffalo Bills for their first, fifth, and sixth round picks in the 2020 NFL Draft, in addition to a fourth round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft (Janarius Robinson)"

If anyone watches English soccer, this is the equivalent of Manchester United working an on offer for player x.

To people who don't, every summer (Soccer transfer window), there would always be plenty of rumors about Man United working on a transfer for one big player or another and nothing happens while other teams complete theirs much faster. They then proceed to waste money on crap players.

Unfortunately this applies to us too well as we have 2 things in common with them: 1) they dominated the league for 26 years because of their coach and 2) they have been crap since said coach retired.

Difference is I hate them so I have been enjoying their ongoing suckage.

from wikipedia

"On March 20, 2020, the Vikings traded Diggs and their seventh round draft pick to the Buffalo Bills for their first, fifth, and sixth round picks in the 2020 NFL Draft, in addition to a fourth round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft (Janarius Robinson)"
Ty Pape I can always count on you for information!

Too rich? His pressure rate vs qb’s is top 5 in the NFL. Barmore, Judon Young could of been the best front in years for the Pats in 24.

49ers going for it just like last year with McCaffrey. Gotta respect that. Even if they dont win they keep it rolling. They botched the Trey Lance pick and lost capital and still didn’t lose a beat.

Then again, Young may ha e tipped the balance of the top 3 pick.
I don't think you can easily give up guys in the top 65-70 picks. These are the bread & butter of your franchise, especially not for elite talent. I agree with you that Chase Young would've been devastating for us, but it's already quite a bit of resources to pay this guy a ton for production he can't possibly produce. This is the entire reason a needy team like Washington got rid of him. Personally I believe the Patriots can pay a guy like Young because they have a ton of cap space, but not at the expense of a premium pick. If we were picking where the 49ers were, I wouldve done it in a heart beat.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back