PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats will not pick up Revis option this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those talking cap:

Based on details available: Patriots S Devin McCourty's new deal includes a signing bonus of $15M. His 2015 cap hit is $6M.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/575032828250947584

#Patriots front-loaded Devin McCourty's 5-year, $45.7M contract. He gets $18M in Year 1. Helps them toward cash spending floor.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/575032599736905728

Devin McCourty cap hits: $6M in 2015, $8M in 2016, $10M in 2017, $11M in 2018, $12.5M in 2019. Total value: $47.5M over 5 years. #Patriots

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/575035479374041089

What you are saying is that you don't want to sign Revis for 3/$48M that he may be asking for. I tend to agree with you.

What I said was that it was possible to sign Revis at almost any AAV, with a 5-year deal. Even on the requested 3 year deal, $10M, $19M, $19M is possible, as you pointed out.
No. I am saying the deal proferred as what he is looking for would not fit into the cap without any further moves, unless it is structured stupidly.
I assumed when you said this is enough to sign Revis without any further transactions I assumed you meant to a contract that he would accept and one that the Patriots would be willing to offer.

Browner, Dennard, Ryan, Butler, Arrington is not the same as having Revis, but it is not a bad corner group, and I don't think anyone like Cromartie makes it any better.

I tend to agree with you, especially if you add in a draft pick in the higher-mid rounds.

My thoughts about the market being weak and potentially adding a guy like Cromartie (which probably wouldn't make sense given the contract/value) was more along the lines of taking Brandon Browner out of the equation.

If Browner ends up leaving as well, that makes things a bit different--although it's tough to disagree with you about Cromartie. I really wouldn't want him, and I don't think many would, but I do feel as though he's serviceable as a vet CB. I wouldn't necessarily see him as "bad" as you seem to. Either way, let's hope it's a moot point for a variety of reasons.

If Revis really wants 3/$48M, it is strange to me that Belichick hasn't moved on and started announcing other signings.

I think there are a couple of thoughts as to why he wouldn't necessarily stop negotiations:

1. No reason to "move on" just yet. We still have a full 24 hrs, even if other teams will be involved soon

2. Revis may have a bit of a different number for the rest of the league (say, one million per year higher)

Source: Jets won't overspend on Darrelle Revis

Darelle Revis could be headed back to the New York Jets but the team isn't prepared to “break open the piggy bank for him,” said one source close to the situation.

“But while a reunion is possible, don't expect [the Jets] to overpay," the source said. "Revis has value on and off the field; he's a perfect fit for this defense. But he's 29 [years old] and while still an impact player, is he 'Revis Island'? He's still close to that, don't get me wrong. He will get paid like a top corner but this won't be a bidding war.

“They will be disciplined but they won't be trigger shy. He will be among the top paid defensive players in the league but [the Jets] won't break open the piggy back for him.”

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dg9SD?utm_campaign=tsiphone&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter.com

No. I am saying the deal proferred as what he is looking for would not fit into the cap without any further moves, unless it is structured stupidly.
I assumed when you said this is enough to sign Revis without any further transactions I assumed you meant to a contract that he would accept and one that the Patriots would be willing to offer.

Most frequent leaks have indicated that Revis wants 3/$48M. I do not think that the patriots should or will sign such a deal. However, I don't think that fitting the 3/$48M under the cap is not the primary concern.

I think there are a couple of thoughts as to why he wouldn't necessarily stop negotiations:

1. No reason to "move on" just yet. We still have a full 24 hrs, even if other teams will be involved soon

2. Revis may have a bit of a different number for the rest of the league (say, one million per year higher)

My concern is that we have lots of other business to do: at WR, at RB, at NT, at DE/LB, and even at CB (if Revis isn't going to be here).

I suppose it is a positive that none of our free agents have bolted yet.

Most frequent leaks have indicated that Revis wants 3/$48M. I do not think that the patriots should or will sign such a deal. However, I don't think that fitting the 3/$48M under the cap is not the primary concern.

I'd guarantee all of it. 24m bonus. 8/yr Salaries of 6,8,10

You've lost me.
Are you saying 3/48 with 10/19/19 hits is something the Patriots wouldn't do, but it has nothing to do with the cap hits?

I'd guarantee all of it. 24m bonus. 8/yr Salaries of 6,8,10
Not sure you have to guarantee all of it, but this structure is much better than taking a 10 mill cap hit in year one at the expense of 38 more in year 2 and 3.

You've lost me.
Are you saying 3/48 with 10/19/19 hits is something the Patriots wouldn't do, but it has nothing to do with the cap hits?

Sure. The decision on a 3-year contract has nothing to do with salary cap structure.

IMO, the patriots have no intention of paying $16M a year in the current market for 2015, 2016 and 2017 services. How it's spread makes little difference to me. Make it $16M, $16M and $16M. IMO, Revis is NOT worth $16M to Belichick. It is that simple.

There are those HERE on this board who would pay 3/$48M? Are YOU one of those people?

Not sure you have to guarantee all of it, but this structure is much better than taking a 10 mill cap hit in year one at the expense of 38 more in year 2 and 3.

I'd like to add another year at 16m, so I can spread the bonus out a little more.

Doesn't that still require them to cut 4.5 million off the cap this year?

Let's hope we can work out something with Revis....besides Brady, he is the most important player that we have and will be impossible to replace. If we are going to over pay for someone, let it be Revis.

Sure. The decision on a 3-year contract has nothing to do with salary cap structure.

IMO, the patriots have no intention of paying $16M a year in the current market for 2015, 2016 and 2017 services. How it's spread makes little difference to me. Make it $16M, $16M and $16M. IMO, Revis is NOT worth $16M to Belichick. It is that simple.

There are those HERE on this board who would pay 3/$48M? Are YOU one of those people?
I'm more confused now.
I jumped in when you said 10 mill of cap space was enough to sign Revis, but you are saying he can't get market value?
16/16/16 is better than 10/19/19
Picking up the 20 is better than 10/19/19 if he wants 40 of it guaranteed.

What are you willing to pay?

Let's hope we can work out something with Revis....besides Brady, he is the most important player that we have and will be impossible to replace. If we are going to over pay for someone, let it be Revis.
Id say he's #3 as irreplaceable. Gronk at #2

OK andy, how about 4/$64M :)
Depends how much Revis lets you throw into the phony 4th year.
My point is there is no sense in not picking up a 20 mill option to sign him to a contract that costs 19 mill next year, with an enormous dead money hit.
16/16/16 is just as good as 16/16/16/16

I don't think anyone who doesn't believe in Santa Clause ever expected the Pats to pick up the $20mm option, so I'm not sure what the "news" is here.

The question, to my mind, has always been whether the Pats would make an initial offer or give Revis time to "test the waters" and then make their offer, which he would weigh against the others.

The latter has always seemed to me like the right strategy since, unless the Pats were ready to make a mind-bending, preemptive, "take it or leave it" offer, they have nothing to gain by making a preliminary offer on which they would be prepared to negotiate: if the preliminary offer was too low, Revis could feel dissed; if it was too high, other teams could drive the price out of the range in which the Patriots were comfortable.

Unless I'm missing something, "Move on folks, there's nothing to see here."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back