PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats re-sign James Ihedigbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that he might be better than Brown strikes only fear in my heart. If either of them are members of the final squad I will be depressed and despondent. BB will not do this to me.

I'm beginning to think that BB gets a little bored with the same ol same ol NFL stuff and decides to frack with the minds of some stalwart fans each year by keeping an irritating doofus on the squad just to piss off those easily victimized fans for his chortling amusement. No?

Last edited:
Honestly how is being a horrible player fine.We absolutely know he can't play so why not take a chance on some free agent rather than bringing this guy back.It's humanly impossible for anyone to be worse than this guy so compared to this him other free agents have no downside but possible upside.

Salary cap is the reason. In all likelihood, the Patriots aren't going to have four safeties who you'd be comfortable seeing out on the field for extended amounts of time. And this signing doesn't even necessarily mean that Ihedigbo will be that fourth guy- it just means that he'll be in camp, and if someone else is going to take that job, then they'll have to take it from him.

In general, I don't really understand why people get upset about players being signed to the 90 man roster. If there's someone better on the team, then that guy will make the final 53 instead. It's not like Belichick re-signed Ihedigbo, nodded to himself, and said "yup, check off safety. We're done here".

Last edited:
I agree. Ihedigbo was hired as an ST stud last year, and as an emergency #4 safety. I don't think that many teams have much better in that role.

I find it interesting that no one but Sergio Brown is even mentioned as a competitor for the 4th safety roster spot.

I will also state the obvious. If Ihedigbo has almost no signifcant reps at safety this year, it would mean that the team will have significantly improved at safety.

I'm with you. High-character, experienced team player competing for a role as an ST stud/emergency safety? Sounds good to me. The fact that he should never have been a starter doesn't change this being a nice low-key signing.

Honestly how is being a horrible player fine.We absolutely know he can't play so why not take a chance on some free agent rather than bringing this guy back.It's humanly impossible for anyone to be worse than this guy so compared to this him other free agents have no downside but possible upside.

I bet you would be worse.

Let's all hope BB didn't give him starter's money like he did with James Sanders a few years ago.

I have a different opinion. I only wish that James Sanders started for the patriots in 2011.

And no, Ihedigbo will not get starting money any more than he did last time he has signed.

Let's all hope BB didn't give him starter's money like he did with James Sanders a few years ago.

Last edited:

If watching the Patriots for the past few years has taught us anything, isn't it that good safeties are really, really, really hard to find? They've spent plenty of draft picks on safeties, yet the position remains totally in flux. And that's not really a slam on the Patriots' personnel evaluation: nobody else is finding them either.

How many teams have two good young safties today, let alone 3? Look at how safeties were over-drafted this year. And remember how Brandon Bleepin' Meriweather made two Pro Bowls? That's a pretty dramatic sign of how bare the cupboard has been.

Under the circumstances I'll take Ihedigbo as a #4 option, happily. Because despite what you say, I believe it's easily possible to do worse. (I gather from your post that you've never seen Sergio Brown?)

Last edited:
I don't know why so many fans of this team assume every off-season signing of a familiar name will not only make the 53-man roster, but be an integral part of the team in the upcoming season. Maybe there is a certain segment that is easily persuaded by fans of opposing teams, looking for a reason to convince both themselves as well as anyone listening that the Pats are doomed.

A year ago when Ihedigo was first signed by the Pats it was for his role as on special teams; nothing that we saw in 2011 should lead us to believe that role has changed.

Let's figure that the Pats keep 10 defensive backs, with one of them primarily as a special teamer - similar to how Slater is a wide receiver.

Those that make the 53-man roster (barring of course the unforeseen injury, sudden ascent, or sudden descent) would include Dowling, McCourty and Arrington at corner, and Chung, Gregory and Wilson at safety. Beyond that Moore would appear to be likely to make the roster as well, bringing the total number of defensive backs up to seven; that leaves three more openings.

So who are the final three? Perhaps one from each category?

CB: Allen, Dennard
S: Barrett, Brown
ST: Brown, Cole, Ihedigbo, Ebner, Williams, Ventrone

Apparently, he's never seen Sergio Brown or some of those who masquaraded as safeties last year, those that we choose to try to forget.

Under the circumstances I'll take Ihedigbo as a #4 option, happily. Because despite what you say, I believe it's easily possible to do worse. (I gather from your post that you've never seen Sergio Brown?)

If watching the Patriots for the past few years has taught us anything, isn't it that good safeties are really, really, really hard to find? They've spent plenty of draft picks on safeties, yet the position remains totally in flux. And that's not really a slam on the Patriots' personnel evaluation: nobody else is finding them either.

How many teams have two good young safties today, let alone 3? Look at how safeties were over-drafted this year. And remember how Brandon Bleepin' Meriweather made two Pro Bowls? That's a pretty dramatic sign of how bare the cupboard has been.

I agree safeties are hard to find but don't you think widening your selection pool might boost your chances of finding a diamond in the rough.Look at the league history of undrafted guys no one thought could play making good.I rather they use the Ihedigbo spot to try out free agents , and who knows we might get lucky and if we don't what have we really lost.

As a stub STer, and a depth 4th safety....... I'm okay with this signing. I like digs and what he brings to the table. High energy, good character guy.

I would add Moore to the CB and ST groups. He is no lock.
I would add Ihedigbo to the S group. He is certainly more capable than Brown.
I would also add both Barrett and Brown to the ST list.
We would then pick 2 corners out of the 3, a STer and perahps a safety.

.Perhaps one from each category?
CB: Allen, Dennard
S: Barrett, Brown
ST: Brown, Cole, Ihedigbo, Ebner, Williams, Ventrone

I agree safeties are hard to find but don't you think widening your selection pool might boost your chances of finding a diamond in the rough.Look at the league history of undrafted guys no one thought could play making good.I rather they use the Ihedigbo spot to try out free agents , and who knows we might get lucky and if we don't what have we really lost.

Given that the Patriots just spent a 6th-round pick on a safety who has mostly played rugby, it's hard to imagine that they're not casting a wide enough net! :)

I agree.

And how nfl ready at safety is Wilson? As I read this board, he is a Day One plug and play.

Given that the Patriots just spent a 6th-round pick on a safety who has mostly played rugby, it's hard to imagine that they're not casting a wide enough net! :)

Last edited:

Jesus Johnny Jump Up!!!!!!! I would rather have Julian Edelman over either of them. The whole idea of Ibedivbo and Brown as contributors in any fashion causes pain in nether regions. BB, I can only accept them as camp fodder. AARGH!!!

I agree.

And how nfl ready at safety is Smith? As I read this board, he is a Day One plug and play.

Who's saying that Wilson's ready? We all know he's raw as ****.

Unfortunately for us, he was usually making tackles after getting burned by the opposing receiver.

Much like the rest of the NE secondary.

Welcome home Iggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back