PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't attempt to make Aqib seem like a victim to circumstance with his run-ins with the league and the law. He is most certainly a gamble, and we should all keep that in mind.

HOWEVER - Coach Schiano did talk about Talib earlier in the season, saying how he's been a good soldier for him and how he hoped things had been turning around for him. Then came his Adderall suspension, of which Aqib himself acknowledged was a mistake.

We all know Bill and Greg have a great relationship, and I do not believe for a second that this trade would have happened if Schiano believed Talib couldn't change for Bill or fit his system. Bill has recovered multiple character issues in the past (Harrison, Dillon, Moss... Haynesworth didn't wanna play, and Ocho didn't know playbook). I'm willing to trust in his judgment.

With that said, what Aqib Talib brings this team is a potential shut down corner. When Talib is "on", then nothing gets by him. But consistency is an issue with Talib, as is his technique at times.

If we can maximize his strengths, perform well, and be a good boy to Bill, he MAY just find his stay in Foxborough longer than 7 weeks.
Ultimately tho Schiano is going to do what's best for the bucs. Even if he doesn't think Talib is going to be a great fit, I don't think he turns down a good pick for a guy they won't re-sign.

he maybe a talented CB but people recently dont seemed have fit in with our system so that remains to be seen how he is coached and how much he can handle.

Bill is walking a fine line here. He needs talent, but he also needs leadership - particularly lacking on the back end of the D. Where communication and stability has also been an issue. And lots of impressionable youngsters on this defense front to back. And a few on offense. It's not an ideal situation to be bringing Talib into.

he maybe a talented CB but people recently dont seemed have fit in with our system so that remains to be seen how he is coached and how much he can handle.

Does anyone want to try translating this statement into English?

which system is that? The stand and watch 50yd bombs or the PI back to the ball system? There is no way anyone can't play our D scheme.think the Pats got an even deal.

Bill is walking a fine line here. He needs talent, but he also needs leadership - particularly lacking on the back end of the D. Where communication and stability has also been an issue. And lots of impressionable youngsters on this defense front to back. And a few on offense. It's not an ideal situation to be bringing Talib into.

It's obvious that Bill realizes the window of opportunity is vastly closing on Brady and his career and this may be the best chance to win it all as the older Tom gets,the chances lessen.

I like the move and I also am a gambler,of a different sort,but I think it's worth the risk for a 4th rounder,at least putting some respect into the back 4 of what is simply puke scrub and/or inconsistent players.

Does anyone want to try translating this statement into English?

Seems pretty simple to me, he just forgot to put the word "in" in.

sounds like you already have him convicted of crimes against the Patriots before a snap has been taken...who the F says the situation has to be "ideal" for BB to make a move like this?...he's a former 1st round pick, experienced and is 26...but screw that, we need "ideals"...what are you, a friggin' priest or what?

25 pages and counting! I guess Pats fans pretty much like this deal?

Count me in--certainly seems like he's got some talent. Oh the character side, I always look at it this way: a new guy coming in more or less gets a clean slate, assuming he didn't rape or murder someone or something. When he becomes one of your team's guys, you look at his behavior from that point forward.

So, if he keeps his nose clean, away we go. Good stuff.

Yes as far as PATs are go, a clean slate. But not with Goodell.

If Aquib does something warranting suspension again it won't be for
just 4 weeks. His history will bring a heavy penalty. It is a big risk for
the PATs.

Also consider doing a long term contract with someone whose next suspension could be very significant. I'm sure Bucs were thinking this way
and decided to get what they could for him now.

It is a big gamble for the PATs and they may get burned but I am also
glad they decided to do this.
However, all of us in favor of this move should never complain in the future
it goes bad.

sounds like you already have him convicted of crimes against the Patriots before a snap has been taken...who the F says the situation has to be "ideal" for BB to make a move like this?...he's a former 1st round pick, experienced and is 26...but screw that, we need "ideals"...what are you, a friggin' priest or what?

Great post, Joker, I laughed out loud when I read this!

He is not allowed to report to Foxboro until Monday after the Buffalo game. That's a little unsettling under the circumstances. He hasn't been allowed to practice with the Bucs for 3 weeks and now he's essentially a player on a new team without a support system for another 2 weeks. He remains on the reserve/suspended list so he doesn't count against the roster until his suspension is completed.

Good point Mo. Let's not go crazy if he struggles for a game or two.

1. Because that's a lot of time off.

2. He is learning a new system.

On a side note. I'm hoping we get a 4thfor losing Law Firm. We didn't sign a rb and he got a pretty good deal from Cincy. Hope we get a 6th for Mark Anderson. Didn't sign anybody other than a minimum contract at that position T. Scott. So, we should get something for him too.

Seems pretty simple to me, he just forgot to put the word "in" in.

Actually, it's a lot more than that, but I'm guessing he's trying a few tabs of Adderall to see what it really does? ;)

On a side note. I'm hoping we get a 4thfor losing Law Firm. We didn't sign a rb and he got a pretty good deal from Cincy. Hope we get a 6th for Mark Anderson. Didn't sign anybody other than a minimum contract at that position T. Scott. So, we should get something for him too.
The New England Patriots signed more unrestricted free agents than lost, so the New England Patriots will not be eligible for compensatory draft picks:

Robert Gallery
Brandon Lloyd
Jabar Gaffney
Donte Stallworth
Anthony Gonzalez
Daniel Fells
Spencer Larsen
Jonathan Fanene
Trevor Scott
Steven Gregory
Marquice Cole

Good pick up but I still think the problem is scheme, not personnel. Perhaps Talib can overcome that.

Couldnt agree more. It's coaching and scheme, not personnel. He can only help if he controls his behavior.

If it helps Joker, I'm not too fond of the Catholic Church's historic ideals. ;)

Last edited:
Look, I have NO IDEA how this move will turn out...I'm just a Patriot fan...if it works and he produces, I'll be a happy fan..if it doesn't, I won't be disappointed...this is an inexact business...what I have a problem with is all the "knowers of things!!!" dropping in with their OPINIONS that they try to present as educated fact.

You need look no further than the "Goodell is great, he will crush the stupid courts, the stupid players, the stupid juries and the stupid team and the stupid players union and blah blah freakin' blah"...remember THAT from back in July??? and where is THAT at now? Tagliabue waiting to be cleared to persecute?

I don't know what it is about a segment of this fan base...every single issue no matter WHAT it is has to be washed in negative grey paint.

All kidding aside, doesn't this cost Talib five weeks pay vs four?

Or maybe the league has made allowances for that.

He was suspended for four games, not four weeks. The bye doesn't count, so he will have to sit out the Bills game.

Couldnt agree more. It's coaching and scheme, not personnel.

You can't scheme to stop a cover-2 getting split, safeties getting torched, and busted coverages. The coaching is being made to look bad by young players playing like young players. Give it time. We'll know in December if the kids can learn rotation and disguised coverages. If they can get that together, they will improve exponentially.

Look, I have NO IDEA how this move will turn out...I'm just a Patriot fan...if it works and he produces, I'll be a happy fan..if it doesn't, I won't be disappointed...this is an inexact business...what I have a problem with is all the "knowers of things!!!" dropping in with their OPINIONS that they try to present as educated fact.

You need look no further than the "Goodell is great, he will crush the stupid courts, the stupid players, the stupid juries and the stupid team and the stupid players union and blah blah freakin' blah"...remember THAT from back in July??? and where is THAT at now? Tagliabue waiting to be cleared to persecute?

I don't know what it is about a segment of this fan base...every single issue no matter WHAT it is has to be washed in negative grey paint.

A-freaking-men.

You're spot on.

Everyone wanted this secondary to be improved and now that we get a very talented CB with some charakter issues so many are complaining about him. I'd rather watch the FO doing their best to give this team the best chance to win the SB than them drafting some kid 100 spots earlier. Love the deal even if it doesn't turn out to be as good as we hoped

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes