PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bucs fan here.

I think this is a good trade for both teams.

Coach Schiano gave Talib one last chance and he blew it this year so we were getting rid of him anyways. It was either trade him or cut him. Might as well get a draft pick for him and a 4th rounder is pretty good.

Talib is an inconsistent CB who has off the field issues as we all know. Inconsistent as in he doesn't really show up every week. One week he'll shut down Steve Smith, then the next week he'll allow Hakeem Nicks to get over 200 yards. When he is on his game though, he is a very good CB.

Fans always want to think that there has to be a winner and a loser. There's nothing wrong with a trade that's good for both sides.

Talib has shut down talent. He knows this, Belichick knows this. Schiano knows it but also is smart enough to know when a guy needs a change of scenery.

Belichick had gotten bad boys with one last chance to channel their talents and turn careers around before. People like to blame him for some of his misses, but ultimately the choice falls on the player.

Given where the Patriots secondary is right now, giving up a 4th round pick is a no brainer slam dunk great move - low risk, high reward.

Getting a 4th round pick for a guy they would have let go at the end of the season - and sending a message to the team as to who the boss in Tampa is - is a slam dunk great move for the Bucs.

Nice, low risk move, especially with injury situation in DB and possible compensation if Talib signs elsewhere. This was more like the compensation Carson Palmer should have brought back. A 2nd or 3rd rounder alone was Palmer's value. I still say our biggest achilles heal is John Lacky of a consistent pass rush. This move should allow us more freedom in rushing the QB. We still have 3-4 Defensive personel with a slew of edge rushers. Call me crazy but I still like Chung, Dowling and think Bequette will be ok. Wilson not so much but he does seem to be around the ball a lot, probably because he's being picked on. He was the same way at Illinois and was overdrafted. I hope I'm wrong. We are seeing a little more of Vereen but not enough to judge if he can play. Overall, I think the Pats have the personnel to win it all. Looking forward to seeing them play Houston, (a physical NFC Type team with a strong, quick defensive front). I love the way they fly off the ball.
49ers also will be a good challenge but Smith lacks a little arm strength.

A couple of notes and oddball trade questions.

Would you trade Mark Sanchez for Ryan Fitzpatrick / Matt Cassel
Dwayne (Riddick) Bowe for Brandon Lloyd

Do you think the Pats could pry Brian Hartlein away from the Dolphins.

Wes Welker is a very tough call. He keeps producing but he also keeps getting blown up after receptions. Permanent franchise tag.

I think Ryan Mallett should be the most in demand backup QB in the league. What was Buffalo, KC thinking. You've got to take the risk. A, big strong armed QB in Buffalo, no lets sign Fitzpatrick, who is a perfect backup who lacks arm strength. What do you think Mallet's value is and would the Pats dare let him go if offerred a #1 or #2.

As to Bedard's complaint about the risks of signing him to a long term contract, and giving up the 4th round pick (likely to be in the mid to late 120's). I think he's flat out wrong. Forget about the need at the position. Forget about gaining not only a first round talent in pedigree, but a first round talent that has already proven itself against NFL competition

The other thing you have to figure in is a diminished importance of the draft as a whole. With the new CBA every player is just 4 full years away from UFA. Do you really think the Pats won't be able to acquire a reasonably priced proven NFL player who will have a greater impact on their team next season than the one they would have gotten with the 130th pick in the draft

Believe I'd love to have the pick, but they can live without it, and still survive with tthe 6 they still will have in conjunction with FA. Hell we didn't need the draft to find Brandon Boldin did we?

there are several posters saying he's ineligible for the Buffalo game is there a link? I read earlier he was available 11/4 but cant remember the source.

I also read that he wasn't going to appeal the suspension. Under the circumstances maybe he'll reconsider and appeal.

With the change of teams, maybe the NFL will cut him a one-game break.

I also read that he wasn't going to appeal the suspension. Under the circumstances maybe he'll reconsider and appeal.

With the change of teams, maybe the NFL will cut him a one-game break.

Pass me that bong, bro!

Last edited:
Living where I do south of Tampa the Bucs are on local TV regularly here. I can tell you that Talib is a serious CB that consistently makes plays and is an excellent press m2m corner. I can't speak to is off-field issues personally but they strike me as something mostly in the past. We all have our moments of poor judgement growing up. Athletes are not an exception in that regard and perhaps even less so given that competitive nature of most sports.

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing him in a Pats jersey. I know how hard he plays and how talented he is. The NE Patriots winning culture could be exactly what Aquib Talib needs and vice versa......:cool:

I was going to add a Goodell qualifier, but it IS possible...

isn't it?

:(

It's more likely that Goodell would add a couple of games to his suspension now that Talib is a Patriot.

It's more likely that Goodell would add a couple of games to his suspension now that Talib is a Patriot.

All kidding aside, doesn't this cost Talib five weeks pay vs four?

Or maybe the league has made allowances for that.

Last edited:
Other than the problems with the law,I don't know much about this guy

Who would you compare his skills ON THE FIELD to?

Last edited:
To play on the edge, you gotta live on the edge ;)

Here's how I explain all these.......

2008....Talib is a gamer, competitive....guy started talking sh#t so he popped him....I can relate...did the same thing my senior year in HS...only difference is I SUCKED at CB!!!!!

2009...Assaulted a Taxi Cab driver. Cab driver probably ******ed about his tip and made some smart a## remark, so Talib taught him some manners. We all need to be brought back to earth once in awhile....good job Talib

2010....Pulled a gun on his sister's boyfriend......guy was either hitting her, or cheating on her....or both.....bastid had it coming.....he's lucky to still be around...that lyin cheating, abusive bastid!!!!! Way to back up your family Talib....good character that got twisted into a bad thing.......!!!

IN all seriousness, he's a MUCH better character than Pacman Jones and many other people in this world!! GIVE the brother another chance!! GO PATS!!!!

Nice, low risk move, especially with injury situation in DB and possible compensation if Talib signs elsewhere. This was more like the compensation Carson Palmer should have brought back. A 2nd or 3rd rounder alone was Palmer's value. I still say our biggest achilles heal is John Lacky of a consistent pass rush. This move should allow us more freedom in rushing the QB. We still have 3-4 Defensive personel with a slew of edge rushers. Call me crazy but I still like Chung, Dowling and think Bequette will be ok. Wilson not so much but he does seem to be around the ball a lot, probably because he's being picked on. He was the same way at Illinois and was overdrafted. I hope I'm wrong. We are seeing a little more of Vereen but not enough to judge if he can play. Overall, I think the Pats have the personnel to win it all. Looking forward to seeing them play Houston, (a physical NFC Type team with a strong, quick defensive front). I love the way they fly off the ball.
49ers also will be a good challenge but Smith lacks a little arm strength.

A couple of notes and oddball trade questions.

Would you trade Mark Sanchez for Ryan Fitzpatrick / Matt Cassel
Dwayne (Riddick) Bowe for Brandon Lloyd

Do you think the Pats could pry Brian Hartlein away from the Dolphins.

Wes Welker is a very tough call. He keeps producing but he also keeps getting blown up after receptions. Permanent franchise tag.

I think Ryan Mallett should be the most in demand backup QB in the league. What was Buffalo, KC thinking. You've got to take the risk. A, big strong armed QB in Buffalo, no lets sign Fitzpatrick, who is a perfect backup who lacks arm strength. What do you think Mallet's value is and would the Pats dare let him go if offerred a #1 or #2.

I'm not sure if you should get on or off the Ritalin:)

Addreall (Ritalin) can be considered a performance enhancer, albeit an arguably weak one. But your suggestion that it's related to steroids or a masking agent is quite an unfounded leap that doesn't hold water unless/until you come up with something more solid.

um how can Adderall be considered a performance enchancer? If by "performance" you mean clean the kitchen really well then maybe.

Here's how I explain all these.......

2008....Talib is a gamer, competitive....guy started talking sh#t so he popped him....I can relate...did the same thing my senior year in HS...only difference is I SUCKED at CB!!!!!

2009...Assaulted a Taxi Cab driver. Cab driver probably ******ed about his tip and made some smart a## remark, so Talib taught him some manners. We all need to be brought back to earth once in awhile....good job Talib

2010....Pulled a gun on his sister's boyfriend......guy was either hitting her, or cheating on her....or both.....bastid had it coming.....he's lucky to still be around...that lyin cheating, abusive bastid!!!!! Way to back up your family Talib....good character that got twisted into a bad thing.......!!!

IN all seriousness, he's a MUCH better character than Pacman Jones and many other people in this world!! GIVE the brother another chance!! GO PATS!!!!

Honestly, these "character concerns" aren't concerns at all. The only troubling one is the cab driver. Chalk up the fight to competitiveness. His sister's boyfriend is a chester, so he actually did the right thing. Furthermore, that shows an extremely HIGH level of moral character, because he's willing to drag his name through the mud to enact justice on a perv.

I blame society for the Adderall thing, they hand it out like candy to the children, then expect us NOT to take use it 100% properly?

Gronkandez said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunescribe

Addreall (Ritalin) can be considered a performance enhancer, albeit an arguably weak one. But your suggestion that it's related to steroids or a masking agent is quite an unfounded leap that doesn't hold water unless/until you come up with something more solid.

um how can Adderall be considered a performance enchancer? If by "performance" you mean clean the kitchen really well then maybe.

it enhances their ability to focus in team meetings? all I got.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

he maybe a talented CB but people recently dont seemed have fit in with our system so that remains to be seen how he is coached and how much he can handle.

I won't attempt to make Aqib seem like a victim to circumstance with his run-ins with the league and the law. He is most certainly a gamble, and we should all keep that in mind.

HOWEVER - Coach Schiano did talk about Talib earlier in the season, saying how he's been a good soldier for him and how he hoped things had been turning around for him. Then came his Adderall suspension, of which Aqib himself acknowledged was a mistake.

We all know Bill and Greg have a great relationship, and I do not believe for a second that this trade would have happened if Schiano believed Talib couldn't change for Bill or fit his system. Bill has recovered multiple character issues in the past (Harrison, Dillon, Moss... Haynesworth didn't wanna play, and Ocho didn't know playbook). I'm willing to trust in his judgment.

With that said, what Aqib Talib brings this team is a potential shut down corner. When Talib is "on", then nothing gets by him. But consistency is an issue with Talib, as is his technique at times.

If we can maximize his strengths, perform well, and be a good boy to Bill, he MAY just find his stay in Foxborough longer than 7 weeks.

We all know Bill and Greg have a great relationship, and I do not believe for a second that this trade would have happened if Schiano believed Talib couldn't change for Bill or fit his system. Bill has recovered multiple character issues in the past (Harrison, Dillon, Moss... Haynesworth didn't wanna play, and Ocho didn't know playbook). I'm willing to trust in his judgment.
There was never any character issues with Rodney Harrison, just performance issues his last year with the Chargers.

I'm never sure. Its seems like sometimes they have to stay away, and other times, for no apparent reason they can participate.

Because of the trade, he's essentially getting an extra week in length. Perhaps they'll give him a break in the other direction and let him attend meetings and or practices.

BTW- this would be a great time from someone with the skills to put up Talib's stats for this year from PFF, or FOO's. I'd be interested to see how he compared with the rest of the league on a per game basis

He is not allowed to report to Foxboro until Monday after the Buffalo game. That's a little unsettling under the circumstances. He hasn't been allowed to practice with the Bucs for 3 weeks and now he's essentially a player on a new team without a support system for another 2 weeks. He remains on the reserve/suspended list so he doesn't count against the roster until his suspension is completed.

Greg A. Bedard‏@GregABedard

Terms of PED suspensions: no pay, no team activities, no use of club facilities, no contact except to arrange off-site medical treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes