PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see this team making a transition back to a 'true' 3-4, which would require the team to get another 3-4 DE or two.

If the team stays in the 4-3/modified 3-4, it's going to need to find a better cover LB, and it's going to need to find at least one more player who can pressure the QB.

where do you see the indication of shifting to a true 34 defense?

Does this mean more intricate blitzes?!?!? Plus we finally have a questionable character in the 2ndary. Maybe that will make WRs less comfortable out there?:cool:

I can't remember who was talking/writing about it, but the report was that the Patriots went to the 4-3 because they didn't think Jones was ready for the 3-4, and that they've been having Jones play a bit more standing up as time has gone on.

Also, IMO, the team's LB personnel is a better fit for the 3-4 than the 4-3, so the report, and the idea of a subsequent return, would seem to be a fit for what I'm seeing on the field.

If the standard is our present signed team for 2013, then our #1 and #2 needs are WR and RT. You seem willing to believe that Welker, Vollmer and Edelman will be re-signed, but seem unwilling to believe that we will address our need at RG in free agency. If McCourty is a future safety, I see our needs as:

RT
WR
CB
CB
WR
S (McCourty and Wilson should be fine as starters)
DE
DE/OLB
OG

Obviously, much of this need will be alleviated through re-signings and free agency signings.
I do not believe that, as we enter the draft, that OG will be a greater need than the secondary, or even DE. As you have noted, in order to play the 3-4, we need at least one more DE. We also need a coverage LB.

I understand your point but, regardless of your choice re: draft/trade/FA, the OG is going to be a position of need. When I'm looking at the level of importance of the upcoming draft, I have to take it into account unless/until it's solved pre-draft. \

I agree that we will to develop front seven players. And yes, I too prefer the 3-4. For 2013, Even if Jones is a DE in the 3-4, who is the other DE? We have 8 players now fitting into the 4-3 (plus developmental players Bequette and Francis).

I can't remember who was talking/writing about it, but the report was that the Patriots went to the 4-3 because they didn't think Jones was ready for the 3-4, and that they've been having Jones play a bit more standing up as time has gone on.

Also, IMO, the team's LB personnel is a better fit for the 3-4 than the 4-3, so the report, and the idea of a subsequent return, would seem to be a fit for what I'm seeing on the field.

Last edited:

It seems that based on what we've seen so far out of Jones, he'd adjust nicely to playing the "elephant" position in a 3-4 defense.

If the standard is our present signed team for 2013, then our #1 and #2 needs are WR and RT. You seem willing to believe that Welker, Vollmer and Edelman will be re-signed

No, I made it clear that WR was a need position. As for Vollmer, I simply forgot he was a FA. Put OT on the list.

but seem unwilling to believe that we will address our need at RG in free agency.

This is not accurate. Again, I listed both WR and OG as positions of need, and I didn't list OT because I'd forgotten Vollmer was going to be a FA.

If McCourty is a future safety, I see our needs as:

RT
WR
CB
CB
WR
S (McCourty and Wilson should be fine as starters)
DE
DE/OLB
OG

Obviously, much of this need will be alleviated through re-signings and free agency signings.
I do not believe that, as we enter the draft, that OG will be a greater need than the secondary, or even DE. As you have noted, in order to play the 3-4, we need at least one more DE. We also need a coverage LB.

I've seen nothing from Wilson that tells me he's ready to be a starter. I'm willing to keep him there now because of the poor quality of play the team was getting from Chung and Gregory, but that's just giving him the position by default. Wilson's been lousy back there.

The rest of your list is flexible, IMO, based upon what happens with McCourty (S or CB) and, obviously, who re-signs with the team. If the team brings back Welker, Edelman, Vollmer and Talib, there will still be a need for WR, DL/Olb, OG and at least one DB (C or S, depending on how the rest of this season shakes out).

Bedard is flat-out wrong.

With 3 picks, 5 PDs and 28 tackles, at this point Wilson needs to play ahead of Chung.

There was a statistic ESPN I believe put out showing how the Pats D was far and away better with Chung on the field.

I agree that we will to develop front seven players. And yes, I too prefer the 3-4. For 2013, Even if Jones is a DE in the 3-4, who is the other DE?

Deaderick/Wilfork/FA/Draftee

I don't see Jones as a 3-4 DE, though. I'd expect him to be shifted to LB, but to be more of a McGinest-type "elephant" player.

Last game we saw ninko rush and jones drop in coverage for the first time.we have 2 NT types but we need more 3-4 DE. think seymour build , tall and fast.

Then don't reply to my "Edelman experiment" comment.

If you think that Edelman has failed at WR due to a lack of production, why do you have a PS body who hasn't taken a single snap penciled in at WR4?

There was a statistic ESPN I believe put out showing how the Pats D was far and away better with Chung on the field.

Yep. I saw those stats too but I don't think its all correlated to Chung being in there.

Chung played vs BAL in week 3 and the pass D was horrific.

I would gladly part with a measly 4th rounder to get a proven, good CB.

Think of all our BUST picks at DB in recent years.

2nd round Terreance Wheatley
2nd round Ras I Dowling
2nd round Darius Butler
4th round Johnathan Wilhite

Why waste another high draft pick on a DB and have them turn out as a huge bust, when we can trade for a better one and know what we're getting beforehand.

You're leaving out the part where he's only under contract for half a season. It isn't the same as using a draft pick on a player who will be under your control at a reasonable salary for 4 years.

The teams that manager their caps best do so by having a lot of contributors on their rookie contracts. Once a team stops getting that, it gets top-heavy and basically becomes the Jets. This move, in of itself, obviously won't do that to the Patriots, but there's 2 ways that this can go:

1) Talib leaves after the season. The pick was traded for a rental, definitely not the same as drafting a guy
2) Talib is re-signed after the season at a market rate that far exceeds a rookie deal salary. Not the same as drafting a guy.

I'm cautiously hopeful about the trade itself, but to pretend that the Pats basically just drafted Talib with a 4th round pick isn't correct at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe