PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats/Chargers replay on NFL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellas, let me quote Amani Toomer after the Super Bowl. He sums up basically what i've been saying.

"They tried to just bully us around," Toomer said. "We're a more physical team than them, and it showed today. We punched them in the mouth, and they didn't want anymore."

Another giant commented that the pats were getting beat up towards the end of the super bowl and just wanted to go home.

You guys seem to think that we lost because of a fluke and are not giving the Giants much credit. The giants dominated us at the line of scrimmage - offensively and defensively. When Jay Alford sacks your QB, then it says something.

Patjew, statistically speaking you may be correct, but our D did not make the big play when it counted. Blame it on Samuel, blame it on our linebackers and D line for not sacking Manning on that miracle play. In 2004, Rodney made the interception in the super bowl that Asante did NOT this year. Our D gave up 28 points to the giants in week 17 (i think they also gave up a td on special teams), and it gave the giants confidence against us despite them losing. Remember what happened in 01? We played the Rams during the regular season and lost. The patriots felt after that game that they could hang with the Rams if presented with another opportunity. Then pats played them again in the SB and won. What about the time when AJ Feeley was marching all over our D in the Eagles game? Kyle Boller did the same thing in the Ravens game, except he threw a pick at the end that sealed the game for us. The point I'm trying to make is we need a lights out D - not just a bend but don't break defense. Statistically, you make a good argument but there's more than stats at play here. What happened to guys like Bruschi who ripped the ball from Dominick Rhodes in the 2004 playoffs? I know Bruschi was on the team last year but the killer instinct on our D in general was not.

Last edited:
cstjohn17,

I basically agree with you in terms of your premise that the D did not lose the Superbowl this year.
But, team speed on defense WAS an issue. All you have to do is look at the priority our front office put on it this year at the draft.
Our vaunted Offense did not hold up its end of the bargain in this years Superbowl. It still sickens me to think of the result. 6 months later and it hurts almost as much as it did that night. That F%#$^% catch will haunt me forever.

cstjohn17,

I basically agree with you in terms of your premise that the D did not lose the Superbowl this year.
But, team speed on defense WAS an issue. All you have to do is look at the priority our front office put on it this year at the draft.
Our vaunted Offense did not hold up its end of the bargain in this years Superbowl. It still sickens me to think of the result. 6 months later and it hurts almost as much as it did that night. That F%#$^% catch will haunt me forever.

exactly. you can't point to the super bowl and say, "our offense cost us the game so we'll leave our defense intact for the following season." This is exactly why BB fired our secondary coach and brought in capers.

I think the most over-looked part of this arguement would have to be the AGE of our defense. We are older at EVERY position on the field arent we? I know I am not in better shape than I was 3 years ago,lol. I think BB knows this and the "bend not break" defense is only REALLY good if you get TURNOVERS. If you look at the turnovers by the secondary you will see alot more impact plays by Rodney and Wilson in 04 then Rodney and Sanders in 08. Safeties are making a much bigger impact in todays game than ever before, and ours havent played up to par the last few years.
And when passing around blame for the SB loss, there is PLENTY to go around on ALL sides....O,D,ST,Coaching....PLENTY of blame, but lets get over it.

I think the most over-looked part of this arguement would have to be the AGE of our defense. We are older at EVERY position on the field arent we? I know I am not in better shape than I was 3 years ago,lol. I think BB knows this and the "bend not break" defense is only REALLY good if you get TURNOVERS. If you look at the turnovers by the secondary you will see alot more impact plays by Rodney and Wilson in 04 then Rodney and Sanders in 08. Safeties are making a much bigger impact in todays game than ever before, and ours havent played up to par the last few years.
And when passing around blame for the SB loss, there is PLENTY to go around on ALL sides....O,D,ST,Coaching....PLENTY of blame, but lets get over it.

I like how you say "but lets get over it." right after you show everyone that you're not over it. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back