PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots' Training Camp Day 3 (Sunday July 28)

I've seen such a report mentioned here but haven't seen an actual report. Do you have a link? All I've seen on the subject is this:

Talib: Good release by Dobson, Thompkins

... which seemed pretty positive on the subject — and came from an experienced player on the field.

There was a tweet to that effect previously reported in this thread

Dobson couldn't get off the press in 1 on 1s. Struggled big time in that drill. Didn't have much of a wiggle at the line. Wasn't physical.

As for the Talib comment, he's hardly likely to say that Dobson was rubbish at beating press so the pinch of salt rule applies. But I wasn't there and can't say which is the true account which is why I talked about "a report" and "something to keep an eye on" and was no more declarative than that.

I was responding to a comment making light of Dobson struggling at "only" a drill and pointing out that that particular drill is a pretty damn important one, that's all.

...Dobson got by a few times, if I recall, but when paired against Dowling (and maybe Arrington too once, hard time seeing all the numbers from my vantage point) he was stonewalled.

So what you're saying is Dowling looked really good in these drills. ;)

I was there in person. The drill everyone is referring to seemed to be a 1-on-1 WR vs. CB drill, in which the receiver must fight past the Cornerback to get their release. Dobson got by a few times, if I recall, but when paired against Dowling (and maybe Arrington too once, hard time seeing all the numbers from my vantage point) he was stonewalled.

In every other drill though, Dobson has flashed and looked pretty smooth out there. Beating press coverage is definitely something for him to work on, and if he can't consistently he may find himself used more as a "Z" receiver, similar to Anquan Boldin.

But as you said, we can rave and speculate as much as we want, let's wait for games to start before we really judge. 2 weeks to go/

Excellent thank you.

As for the Talib comment, he's hardly likely to say that Dobson was rubbish at beating press so the pinch of salt rule applies. But I wasn't there and can't say which is the true account which is why I talked about "a report" and "something to keep an eye on" and was no more declarative than that.

I was responding to a comment making light of Dobson struggling at "only" a drill and pointing out that that particular drill is a pretty damn important one, that's all.

Thanks for the followup. Wasn't giving you a hard time, just looking for a source on the info.

Thanks for the followup. Wasn't giving you a hard time, just looking for a source on the info.

That's fine. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't being critical of Dobson, just a little cautious considering all the understandable excitement hereabouts.

There is a report that Dobson, on the first day in pads, struggled at a drill absolutely fundamental and relative to his ability to get open in the NFL. It's more than nothing. Should he be written off because of it, of course not. But looking good out of pads and being an NFL receiver are two very different things and it's worth keeping an eye on.

Every report today that I saw gave Dobson glowing reviews. A few struggles in drills are not mixed reports.

I defy anyone to post a single report that was negative for Dobson the last few days. Even reports that stated he struggled here and there stated he was one of the best bright spots of training camp so far.

There is a difference of reports of a rookie WR really shining his first few days, but struggling in certain drills from mixed reports on a player. A rookie WR in his first three days of camp is going to struggle at certain things. I bet even Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson struggled at many of these things the first three days of training camp their rookie season. It is to be expected of a rookie. Mixed reviews would be that he struggled more than expected.

I think it's fundamentally critical that Dobson progress on these "drills"; bears watching though it is SO early in the process. There are many guys who never make it in the NFL because they can't reliably get off the LOS.

The Globe's Ben Volin weighs in:

■ Dobson is really great at getting off the line of scrimmage, and was wide open throughout the practice. He completely schooled DB Justin Green on one play, was able to shake free from Alfonzo Dennard and badly faked out Ras-I Dowling.

Edit: i'm not fully confident in Volin's analysis skills yet — time wile tell — but the Day 3 notes were a good read.

WOW!!! Best.Team.Ever.

wait...first day of pads?

you know what I get out of this?...the rooks actually can play at the NFL level....and Chandler Jones seems to be a problem right from the start...THAT raises my antennae. The one thing this team needed in that Ravens game was someone to beat the O line and smash that gawk, Flacco. Perhaps Jones will be THAT player for this team. I'll try to keep my poms poms under cover but if it's one thing I want it's pressure on the QB to get his eyes lowered....makes everything else on defense easier.

Maybe the guy who gave that report just doesn't know what he's talking about. Seems like no one else has made that observation.

I think it's fundamentally critical that Dobson progress on these "drills"; bears watching though it is SO early in the process. There are many guys who never make it in the NFL because they can't reliably get off the LOS.

I agree that if he is having these same problems in day 20 of camp, then it is an issue or at least a area of concern. But on day three, these types of fundamentals issues are to be expected from a rookie. And most experienced media people understand that.

Maybe the guy who gave that report just doesn't know what he's talking about. No one else has made that observation.

Which is why I said "something to keep an eye on".

Good comedy in this thread is really rounding it out as a great read. It is absolutely true that, other than reports of struggles (for any/all players), there are no reports of struggles and, other than the differing reports of players, there are no differing reports.

Edit: i'm not fully confident in Volin's analysis skills yet — time wile tell — but the Day 3 notes were a good read.

The difference is Dobson struggled in one particular one on one drill, not in actual 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 drills. So his analysis on Dobson may be spot on.

When he is playing in 7 on 7 or 11 on 11, he is probably getting off the LOS quickly. He might not be on the particular drill in question, but then again that drill might not recreate real game experience in any way.

Is he missing fingers?

"Based on three days of camp, the top four performers at wide receiver have been Amendola, Boyce, Thompkins and Kamar Aiken. Josh Boyce is starting to come on. Michael Jenkins falling behind. Rookie Quintin Sims also shows some flashes and could be a candidate for practice squad. Amendola, meanwhile, has shown impressive technique as a route-runner and is clearly the most polished receiver on the field."

He said this right after his praise of Dobson...:confused:

Good comedy in this thread is really rounding it out as a great read. It is absolutely true that, other than reports of struggles (for any/all players), there are no reports of struggles and, other than the differng reports of players, there are no differing reports.

And yet you show how you are turning into maverick2.0 has affected any sanity in your posts.

Yes, because it has been reported that Dobson has struggled in one drill is now mixed reports on the guy. Unless a rookie excels in every drill in his first three days of camp, we should already give his draft grade an F and there is no way to ever change that.

I think that these reports are great and frankly I could give a **** about Deus. He is nothing more than a bloated windbag that frankly knows nothing about football.

Ok, sit down and take a deep breath because this is going to blow your mind:

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they know nothing about a given topic.

There's no denying that Deus has a pretty solid football mind, agree with him or not. You're just coming off as petty at this point by saying otherwise.

Now hurry up and say that I love riding Deus' ****, because that's where you'll go next.

Ok, sit down and take a deep breath because this is going to blow your mind:

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they know nothing about a given topic.

There's no denying that Deus has a pretty solid football mind, agree with him or not. You're just coming off as petty at this point by saying otherwise.

Now hurry up and say that I love riding Deus' ****, because that's where you'll go next.

Troll!

;)

Great time this morning at Training Camp.

A few observations not already mentioned:

Kenbrell Thompkins and Quentin Sims caught my eye - two WRs over 6' who made some nice catches in the early throwing drills. Dobson, Boyce, Amendola all the real thing as others reported. This is a competitive group. Michael Jenkins looked slow.

Tebow looked awful until he uncorked a 40-yard TD pass on the last play of the practice. Big fan reaction. Belichick spent 3 or 4 minutes talking with Tebow after practice in what looked like instruction on what they want from him. Tebow then signed autographs for the kids along with Brady Gostkowski and four or five other guys.

Tommy Kelly is a monster. We were right behind the goal line series at the end of the practice, and Kelly - Wilfork in the middle was like a mountain range. There was a load of a human being wearing #69 - Anthony Rashad White, I think - who was in the goal line package on defense. Sort of a fatter Kyle Love. He "ran" a lap late in practice that resembled a Mars revolution of the Sun, only slower.

The offensive line looked like a well-choreographed unit in the 11-11 drills. Mankins was smacking guys around a bit like he missed being a pain in the ass. Nice to see. He was gassed at the end of practice. Like last season, the OL is a strength of this team until an injury strikes. Nice to see Cannon in with the starting five.

I went looking to concentrate on Dowling and he was hard to find - either on the other practice field with Tebow and the scrubs, or unremarkable with the starters. Dennard, Talib and Arrington looked good as a unit.

It was great to see Gronk in shorts on the sideline and involved. Hooman looked terrific to me today. Nice catches and faster than I thought.

Last, watching Belichick lumber around the practice field was like watching the alpha Lion on one of those PBS Nature shows. It is so obvious he's in charge. The assistant coaches and the players know where he is at all times. It's a feeling, really, but I don't worry about this team staying focused as the distractions from Hernandez, Dennard and the all-American Tebow circus flare up.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back