PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots' Training Camp Day 3 (Sunday July 28)

20 lbs of muscle loss is cancer/starvation territory. It's understandable that a well-fed man such as yourself wouldn't know this.

Yeah, I seriously doubt it is 20lbs of muscle or potentially even 20lbs of total weight since Gronk had a low body fat index. The good news is usually muscle loss of this nature can be gained back relatively quickly.

Interesting to hear good things about Benard...would be nice if he stuck.

Don't be too hard on Ridley.. when The Vince wants the ball chances are good Vince is going to get the ball (he's just that good) ;)

And it's a shame Robert Duvall is older than Belichick, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have as our next Head Coach than Robert Duvall.

I mean, we might lose every game and even lose games to the Jets, but something about seeing him there on the sidelines as our Coach and hearing him talk after the game would make everything seem right with the world. :)

And speaking of coaches, Troy.. its time to come back to the Patriots. I know we can find a use for you even if its as our This-Is-How-We-Did-It-Back-Then coach.

After seeing today's practice I feel a lot better about the WR corp.

I did not look concentrate on the dline as much as I normally do, the only observation I can comment on are Buccannon looks like a DE, and Chandler Jones looks like he put on 15 lbs.

Denard was the best DB out there, Talib played more physical than I expected.

Sudfield looks real thin below the waist, Not a guy I would expect to be very effective as a inline Blocker. He runs real smooth though..

Hooman looked real well,

Tompkins, Boyce and Dobson looked real well for the first week of campl.

Bolden was the best RB out there today.

Tebow was not bad by any means. he looked the most comfortable out of the pocket and seemed to have a real good hand off style.Maybe just becasue he was left handed and the plays were running to the right more than not.

Starting to get a little bullish on our receivers...

In the first viewing of one-on-one pass rush drills, second-year defensive end Chandler Jones impressed in duels with left tackle Nate Solder, while it appears that Dan Connolly (shoulder) is not quite 100 percent, as he was withheld from the drill, with Marcus Cannon taking top right guard reps.

Cannon as the starting RG is something I think takes this OL to a historic level.

Starters
LT- Solder; 6'8 320
LG- Mankins; 6'4 310
C- Wendell; 6'2 300
RG- Cannon; 6'5 340
RT- Vollmer; 6'8 330

That is a young, athletic, and massive starting 5.

Primary Backups
LG/C/RG- Connolly; 6'4 310
Swing OT- Svitek; 6'6 308

You have 2 players who have starting experience and versatility especially Connolly.

This is why I'm not overly concerned with our potential deficiencies at WR and TE (till Gronkowski is healthy) because this line combined with Brady as our QB, and a young stable of RB's (Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Blount) is still going to be a match up nightmare for defenses.

Another good list of camp observations

Practice observations: Vince Wilfork dominates padded session, Stevan Ridley fumbles twice | Jeff Howe

Steve Gregory got his most action with the first-team defense, alongside Devin McCourty at safety.

Cornerback Kyle Arrington had a strong day, and he worked as the starting right corner again, similar to Friday’s practice. Arrington made a nice pass breakup on Danny Amendola in one-on-ones, and he also intercepted a long Brady pass later in the session.

There were some intense one-on-ones between the cornerbacks and receivers, who fought each other at the line of scrimmage to simulate press coverage. Ras-I Dowling ate Aaron Dobson’s lunch in the most impressive victory among the reps.

Tim Tebow spent a few minutes alone with offensive assistant coach Brian Daboll. There seemed to be some good solo instruction going down.

Tebow hit a diving Kenbrell Thompkins for a long touchdown pass on the final play of practice. That was a fun way for the day to end, as Thompkins drew a loud cheer right in front of the crowd.

Chandler Jones was very active in one-on-ones. There are plenty of reasons to expect a big year from him.

The Patriots ran a bunch of screen passes, with Shane Vereen and Leon Washington getting the bulk of the work.

In that pseudo-Oklahoma drill, Jamie Collins stripped tight end Daniel Fells. That was one of Collins’ brightest moments of the young camp.​

:confused:

I don't think he's fumbling because he's afraid of contact.

Not that you ever want to see your #1 RB fumble but if he's going to do it you want it at the beginning of TC (and 1st day of pads) rather than the end and heading into the season.

Got to love Wilfork tho

After seeing today's practice I feel a lot better about the WR corp.
I agree, they looked better with the pads today than yesterday. Having said that they are taking long time to separate from the DB's.

I did not look concentrate on the dline as much as I normally do, the only observation I can comment on are Buccannon looks like a DE, and Chandler Jones looks like he put on 15 lbs.

Where did Buchanan line up? (LE, RE, LOLB, ROLB?)

Denard was the best DB out there, Talib played more physical than I expected.

This is great to hear; entering his 2nd season, maybe he can take his game to the next level.

Sudfield looks real thin below the waist, Not a guy I would expect to be very effective as a inline Blocker. He runs real smooth though..

I agree based on the pics I've seen of him he is a lean guy; good news is that he was considered a top blocking TE in college so hopefully that translates to the NFL.

On the subject of UDFA TE's did you have any feedback on Brandon Ford?

Bolden was the best RB out there today.

I think Bolden used the PED's in an attempt to heal quicker from the knee injury that occurred against Denver which is why I did not buy into the speculation that he was only good in the early season (Buffalo game) because of the use of PED's. I think he makes the roster with relative ease to be honest, he adds value at RB and plays on all 4 ST groups.

A ton of good stuff on today's practice from NE Patriots Draft, including this on Dont'a Hightower:

Patriots Training Camp: Versatility on Display for Day Three | NEPatriotsDraft.com | James Christensen

Hightower has lined up all over the field during my days here at training camp – playing inside and outside in both odd and even fronts. I often remarked in the pre-draft process that Hightower was a good pass-rusher, in addition to his linebacking skills. However, Hightower didn’t feel that was where he was best used. He remarked that he wants to be “inside with the guards, tackles and fullbacks.”

Whether Hightower – along with fellow versatile linebackers Brandon Spikes, Jerod Mayo and Jamie Collins – plays inside or outside, his versatility allows the Patriots to come up with a different gameplan each and every week. That unpredictability keeps opposing offenses guessing.

Hightower’s ability to learn such a complex defense and play multiple positions is a credit to his strong football IQ and the help of some veterans on the team – especially Jerod Mayo.

“Mayo has been in this defense for a while now. He knows every position, not just the linebackers and the defensive line. He knows what the cornerbacks and the safeties have to do. Having him in the linebacker room and as a close friend, it feels good to have that guy in your back pocket.”

Hightower feels good enough about his own grasp of the playbook that he is starting to mentor Collins along as well.

Today, Hightower looked at home in the goal line drills, making some big hits and showcasing his explosive, violent downhill nature.

With Brandon Spikes, another player that is asked to do a lot in the defense, in his contract year, a young linebacker like Hightower might be even more important in the future.

Expect Hightower to improve on his rookie season where he chalked up four sacks and 60 tackles.​

Where did Buchanan line up? (LE, RE, LOLB, ROLB?)

This is great to hear; entering his 2nd season, maybe he can take his game to the next level.

I agree based on the pics I've seen of him he is a lean guy; good news is that he was considered a top blocking TE in college so hopefully that translates to the NFL.

On the subject of UDFA TE's did you have any feedback on Brandon Ford?

I think Bolden used the PED's in an attempt to heal quicker from the knee injury that occurred against Denver which is why I did not buy into the speculation that he was only good in the early season (Buffalo game) because of the use of PED's. I think he makes the roster with relative ease to be honest, he adds value at RB and plays on all 4 ST groups.

Saw a report that he was lining up with the linebackers.

Interesting to hear good things about Benard...would be nice if he stuck.

It was not that long ago he was ahead of Geno Atkins on a list..

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/17/breaking-out-10-pass-rushers-to-watch/

I copied his combined numbers from Marcus Benard*|*Jackson State,*DE*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile and pasted them below. His height and weight seem to be listed differently now however, I'm not sure if someone who has seen him in person can offer an assessment?

Dates: 03/25/09
Height: 6036
Weight: 270
40 Yrd Dash: 4.72
20 Yrd Dash: 2.75
10 Yrd Dash: 1.64
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump: 09'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: N/A
3-Cone Drill: N/A
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20

Yeah, I seriously doubt it is 20lbs of muscle or potentially even 20lbs of total weight since Gronk had a low body fat index. The good news is usually muscle loss of this nature can be gained back relatively quickly.

Is the figure accurate or somebody's opinion? If he lost a lot of wgt due to not working out its most likely water, muscle use and retain a lot of water. As soon as he starts working out again he'll regain the wgt. You don't lose twenty lbs of muscle in the seven or eight months that he hasn't lifted.

A ton of good stuff on today's practice from NE Patriots Draft, including this on Dont'a Hightower:

Patriots Training Camp: Versatility on Display for Day Three | NEPatriotsDraft.com | James Christensen

Hightower has lined up all over the field during my days here at training camp – playing inside and outside in both odd and even fronts. I often remarked in the pre-draft process that Hightower was a good pass-rusher, in addition to his linebacking skills. However, Hightower didn’t feel that was where he was best used. He remarked that he wants to be “inside with the guards, tackles and fullbacks.”

Whether Hightower – along with fellow versatile linebackers Brandon Spikes, Jerod Mayo and Jamie Collins – plays inside or outside, his versatility allows the Patriots to come up with a different gameplan each and every week. That unpredictability keeps opposing offenses guessing.

Hightower’s ability to learn such a complex defense and play multiple positions is a credit to his strong football IQ and the help of some veterans on the team – especially Jerod Mayo.

“Mayo has been in this defense for a while now. He knows every position, not just the linebackers and the defensive line. He knows what the cornerbacks and the safeties have to do. Having him in the linebacker room and as a close friend, it feels good to have that guy in your back pocket.”

Hightower feels good enough about his own grasp of the playbook that he is starting to mentor Collins along as well.

Today, Hightower looked at home in the goal line drills, making some big hits and showcasing his explosive, violent downhill nature.

With Brandon Spikes, another player that is asked to do a lot in the defense, in his contract year, a young linebacker like Hightower might be even more important in the future.

Expect Hightower to improve on his rookie season where he chalked up four sacks and 60 tackles.​

LOLB- Hightower
DT- Armstead
NT- Wilfork
RE- Jones
ROLB- Collins
SILB- Spikes
WILB- Mayo

The thought of a lineup like this makes me giddy. The youth, the athleticism, the thought of Jones and Collins both coming off the same side is the only thing scarier then to monsters like Hightower and Armstead coming off the same side.

P.S. I know this lineup is premature, but I'm willing to deal with Ninkovich and Kelly for now :D.

Saw a report that he was lining up with the linebackers.

This kid will end up being one of the steals of the 2013 NFL Draft. He is as physically gifted as any player that came out at DE/OLB this year.

Loving these reports - heartfelt thanks!

Hoping to go Monday night (season ticket holder practice) with a friend.

Great to hear the unanimous praise of Dennard. If he makes a second-year jump, it will be huge.

Loving the commentary on Collins If he can contribute this year, it will make a big difference. He brings much-needed speed and coverage ability to that group. I don't think there are many teams in the league who would hesitate to trade linebacking corps with us.

This team is so young and SO deep...

1. Dowling and Arrington as #3 and #4 corners...and a promising rookie as #5

2. Linebackers...this corps is the best I've seen since the old Teddy and Friends days, and that was before Collins (and here's hoping Fletcher stays healthy!)

3. Even with the painful hits at TE, Fells, Hoo Man and Ballard would be a solid trio for almost any team. Seriously.

4. Their O-line is frighteningly good right now. Stay healthy Mankins and watch out for Cannon!

5. Is it possible they'll have 3 rookie receivers and a second-year Aiken? Really good to hear positive things about Boyce. Amendola will be the "old man" of that group? Lol.

6. Nervous about the interior D-line right now. Good to see Kelly looking like a beast, but really hoping Armstead is okay and will be what we hoped when they got him.

Yeah, I'm a homer and I'm very excited about this season, and particularly about the long-term prospects for this YOUNG team. It is absolutely amazing to me that after the last 12 years, the Pats are STILL among the favorites to win the SB, and with so many rising stars still on rookie contracts. Model franchise.

I still believe that the reason the Pats haven't developed any wide-outs (or really gone after any in the draft other than potential diamonds in the rough) is because Brady had no reason to throw the ball around. This year, he's got to, and I have great confidence that he will do so.

I'm thinking of how Pittsburgh transitioned with three "kids" in Wallace, Brown and Sanders.

muscle and fat are 2 different things, they serve completely different purposes. Saying Gronk lost 20lbs is concerning enough, saying he lost 20lbs of muscle which would take years to put back on without the use of PEDs is completely different. TBH I'd be surprised if Gronk came into the season under 255lbs.

Ask the Experts: An Injury Forced Me To Stop Training. How Much Muscle Will I Lose?

"But here’s the good news: You should be in the clear since you’ve only been out of training for five weeks. Studies have found that muscle atrophy in active individuals—like athletes who ordinarily do train regularly—doesn’t occur until at least 12 weeks, and maybe even up to 31 weeks. [1,2]

You may feel a loss of strength or power when you do hit the gym again. That’s because your nervous system can “forget” the movements it performed during training, or is no longer accustomed to the load. But you should recover from that in about two weeks."

Ask the Experts: An Injury Forced Me To Stop Training. How Much Muscle Will I Lose?

As is to be expected, we're getting inconsistent reports about individual players. That's great to see.

Perhaps that is due to much of the commentary being immediate reaction to single plays, rather than an overall review of individual player's performance for the entire day. Dobson and Dowling in particular are two that seemed to have a mixture of good and bad plays today. For example:

Ras-I Dowling didn’t look great in 7v7 and 11v11, but his physicality was present early and often, giving Dobson fits in blocking drills.

muscle and fat are 2 different things, they serve completely different purposes. Saying Gronk lost 20lbs is concerning enough, saying he lost 20lbs of muscle which would take years to put back on without the use of PEDs is completely different. TBH I'd be surprised if Gronk came into the season under 255lbs.

Nobody said he lost 20 LBS of fat. If I can muscle up 5 LBS in 8 weeks and elite athlete can add 10 of muscle BACK to a 6' 6" frame in that timeframe. Hint: Gronk was unable to lift weights with the cast.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back