PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Tully Banta-Cain [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TBC's contract terminated (merged)

Pretty stunned by this

Are we leading some crazy lets not rush at all and see how we get on experiment

Here is my guess: Tully dumped a mug of hot coffee on a member of his entourage.

You know what this shows?

It shows that as much as we play backseat driver from the comfort of our computers and televisions, we don't know jack sh*t about how this football team operates. We sit here and pick out the little intricacies of the team, and we act like we know the players and the coaches philosophies.

But really, we are totally clueless. And for some reason, I think BB likes it that way.
Most sensible post I have read in here in months, maybe years :D

Julius Peppers sighted in Logan Airport lobby this afternoon....details at 11

Sorry dude, but my lawyer is gonna call you. I just bounced my face off the desk when I passed out.

lol - I keep thinking: is JP doggin' it so he can get traded? Couldn't be. But if that ever happened and he exploded. Oy.

Anyway, considering NO ONE here would have believe a prediction of TBC getting cut an hour ago, so what can irrational speculation hurt now? sheevies

To my entirely untrained eye, TBC looked like he was playing way above expectations, was creating more pass rush than anyone, and looked to be back on the upswing.

I know we say this every time a player is released, but there has to be more to this.

That's exactly why it doesn't make sense. Banta-Cain was by far exceeding expectations and was getting to the QB better than anyone else. If I was going to cut a LB it would have been Ninkovich or Alexander. probably Ninkovich since Alexander has been good for us on special teams. A day after Adalius is benched, you cut one of the better pass rushing OLB on your team? Doesnt make sense. Something has to be going on.

Re: TBC Cut??

Yes because he was released before the deadline which means he doesn't have to clear waivers.

So, he's a free agent, basically, assuming the cut happened before the trading deadline?

Rumors have it that Jerry Jones may be highly interested in him for a pass rush threat they are lacking.

Banta-Cain may be gone before 24 hours

Re: TBC Cut??

So, he's a free agent, basically, assuming the cut happened before the trading deadline?

Yes he can sign with any team he wants to, if I understand correctly. He will also still be owed the rest of his $620k salary.

Terdell Sands coming back?

Uh....wtf? :confused: May be trade in works for multiple players? Totally weird....It can't be our secondary.... May be pass rusher or third receiver? God I would have total football orgasm if we bring in 10+sack guy who is not past his prime....

OK, now tell me you are making it up

I am,just some humor instead of questions why and us sitting here typing and scratching our heads at the same time :)

That's exactly why it doesn't make sense. Banta-Cain was by far exceeding expectations and was getting to the QB better than anyone else. If I was going to cut a LB it would have been Ninkovich or Alexander. probably Ninkovich since Alexander has been good for us on special teams. A day after Adalius is benched, you cut one of the better pass rushing OLB on your team? Doesnt make sense. Something has to be going on.

From what I've seen Ninkovich showed up more than AD

Terdell Sands coming back?

Well well, seeing that his locker is still intact, I would not put it past BB.
My head hurts

Ok, just trying to piece some things together here, based on Reiss' last post.

Is it possible that the Patriots wanted to sign TBC to a longer-term deal? As I understand it, he's set to become a UFA at the end of the year. If he and the Patriots wanted to extend the contract, they would have to do so at the end of the year. By cutting him before the trading deadline, he doesn't have to clear waivers and he becomes a UFA right now, right? So maybe there's already a deal in place to extend him.

The dangerous part, I guess, is that once he's cut he's free to sign with anyone. But maybe this was all part of a prearranged deal to extend the contract.

Pure cynical speculation -

TBC got dinged up in the game or agravated an existing injury. The injury is not a season ender but will keep him out for a month (or something like that) . Given the current injury situation (Taylor , Light , Morris) the Pats can not take another guy out for the next month or so.

The injury prevents TBC from signing elsewhere next week. When TBC get healthy TBC resigns and rejoins the team and gets more money this year. This deal works for TBC since he gets paid for the whole year by being cut right now. My theory has risks to the PATS because obviously the guy can take more money somewhere else right now. But if he is dinged up right now, the risk is lessened provided the Pats pay market rate when he is healthy again.

Last edited:

Peppers!!!!

LOL

Does this mean the 4-3 is back full time?

They're likely re-signing some linebacker from 1942 for leadership... :rolleyes:

LOL! He dances the Boogie Woogie after every tackle!

Last edited:

Ok, just trying to piece some things together here, based on Reiss' last post.

Is it possible that the Patriots wanted to sign TBC to a longer-term deal? As I understand it, he's set to become a UFA at the end of the year. If he and the Patriots wanted to extend the contract, they would have to do so at the end of the year. By cutting him before the trading deadline, he doesn't have to clear waivers and he becomes a UFA right now, right? So maybe there's already a deal in place to extend him.

The dangerous part, I guess, is that once he's cut he's free to sign with anyone. But maybe this was all part of a prearranged deal to extend the contract.

They can renew his contract without cutting him if that were the case. All they'd have to do is nullify the original contract and replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News