PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Michael Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a gamble that they'll clear waivers.
Are they subject to waivers if released now?? I do not think so..

Are they subject to waivers if released now?? I do not think so..

No, veterans are not subject to waivers until tomorrow.

Matthews, however, since he only has 2 accrued seasons, IS subject to waivers TODAY (and yesterday, and before that)...

Last edited:
Which pick was that? The one for Matthews? Pretty sure it was conditional...

I thought so too. They've done a fair bit of that (e.g. P. Burgess), spending conditional picks on players for a look-see or stop-gap, then cutting them loose before the conditional pick locks in.

I thought so too. They've done a fair bit of that (e.g. P. Burgess), spending conditional picks on players for a look-see or stop-gap, then cutting them loose before the conditional pick locks in.

I think that Matthews played extremely well in his time with the Pats.. his blocking was definitely better than either Baker or Watson.

Matthews' pick was conditional, but its quite possible that him being on the roster for almost two months triggered the condition. Not sure though.

We've traded a 3rd for the Oakland Raiders.

WTF? We could have easily got the Raiders for a low 5th.

I can't believe Al Davis snookered us again.... this is worse than the Burgess trade!

how many TEs to we have now? I am suprised by this move.

Which pick was that? The one for Matthews? Pretty sure it was conditional...

Hope you're right but it was probably a #7. As you have mentioned

before, we will get a couple of compensatory #7 picks.

BB is going bonkers without Pioli :p Man I never realized he was so trigger happy

Another draft pick thrown away on a useless player.

Yes because that conditional 7th rounder in 2011 represents a lot more value than a guy who has proven himself an adequate backup blocking TE in the NFL. Just because Matthews didn't work out (and he may be back at some point anyway) doesn't mean he wasn't more valuable than that pick.

As it stands, I doubt they give up the pick at this juncture so I'm not sure why you're complaining about it

Belichick just said in his press conference that Matthews' trade conditions were not met.

There was a funny exchange after that:

Question: "What's the contract thing going on with TBC?"
BB: "He was released and re-signed."
Question: "What will that allow you to do contract-wise."
BB: "Well, there's a lot of things going on with the contract, different things. I'm not even sure I understand them all."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back