PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are signing WR Michael Jenkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Molasses Mike"

Tooooo funny. :D

anybody else picturing BB telling TB this one......

[BB classic deadpan]: So, Tom we have a new FA wr coming in for you..[pause] Molasses Mike. He'll be in the locker next to yours. show him the ropes, ok?
:rolleyes:
------
Otherwise, only other observation is: isnt it funny how a roster 50-80 guy can still manage to get some folks into a 2-pg peeing contest w/ DI......... gives me something to read instead of doing taxes...keep it up DI et al :D

running downs. apparently he is a decent blocker and not much else.

We would then be telegraphing to the defense every time we run.

He is coming off of a torn meniscus and apparently wasn't considered a field-stretching receiver prior to the injury.

He's more of a David Givens type receiver, except taller. Not a bad signing if he's healthy and can learn the system.

His production never = his ability. At one point I thought he'd break through to have a couple of good years like Sidney Rice did, but it never happened.

He'll probably be gone b4 Sept, nothing to get excited about.

Let's be real. Jenkins was held back by Michael Vick in Atlanta and by the time Atlanta had a real QB in Matt Ryan, they'd also added Roddy White and basically pushed Jenkins out.

I'm not saying that he'll be a 1000 yard receiver here, but he's got talent.

OK signing, as will be the next 4 or JAG receivers. We need Lloyd and perhaps Edelman.

We still need two receivers. Jones and Jenkins are the first to compete for the backup slot(s).

We have Amendola and two openings.

Waste of time..."Molasses Mike" won't make the roster. Why do the Patriots continue to screw around instead of picking up 1 or 2 impact players who could put them over the top?...Don't tell me. Jenkins represents great value.

Waste of time..."Molasses Mike" won't make the roster. Why do the Patriots continue to screw around instead of picking up 1 or 2 impact players who could put them over the top?...Don't tell me. Jenkins represents great value.

What impact players?

OK signing, as will be the next 4 or JAG receivers. We need Lloyd and perhaps Edelman.

We still need two receivers. Jones and Jenkins are the first to compete for the backup slot(s).

I'm actually heartened that a majority of posters actually understand this signing and take it for what its worth. YES he's a JAG or a journeyman, or however you want to characterize him. But the fact is you NEED capable JAG's and "journeymen" to fill out your roster. Hell, the Pats won a superbowl with a team full of JAG's back in 2001. There is nothing wrong with being a JAG in the NFL. About 75% of league could be characterized as "JAG's"

I would hope by now that we, as fans, have become sophisticated enough to see that this is merely another "proven professional" that's been added to the competition for those last 20 roster spots. Bringing in good guys with good attitudes and letting them try and make a roster is just good roster management. Sure Jackson, "is what he is", and if he can find the right role with the Pats, we will be better off with him.

In my mind we are likely only to have 4 true WR's this season. Right now DA is the only lock. Everyone else is competing for those other 3 spots, and by the time camp rolls around there will be at least 10 guys looking to fill those 3 spots....and PERHAPS, by that time there might be 2 guys we think of as "locks". Keep in mind that on the Pats the #2 WR, is really the #4 option

Well the sad thing is that a washed up Torry Holt is probably still better than an in his prime Jenkins. I mean Holt's worst season (722 yards in 2009) is almost better than Jenkins best (777 in 2008).

Torry Holt NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Michael Jenkins NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Jenkins is a career journeyman receiver. I don't expect any better than 500 yards from him at best, if he even makes the 53 that is.

We are his 3 team in 11 seasons. That isn't a journeyman. In reality he is a slightly younger, bigger and much cheaper alternative to Brandon Lloyd.

Jenkins - 130 games, 354 receptions, 4,427 yards, 25 touchdowns
Lloyd - 128 games, 385 yards, 5,695 yards, 35 touchdowns

If you roll out Lloyd's one season in Denver they're basically identical statically for their careers. At the vet minimum I like him as our 3rd or 4th WR at least till a draft pick develops.

Jenkins isn't a JAG he was a first round draft pick who has never played with a quality QB with the exception of Matt Ryan during his rookie season which was also Jenkins most productive season. Other than that he has played with Ponder, Harrington and Vick (pre prison).

Is he a #1 WR no but he is a better WR than Lloyd IMO and certainly not a JAG.

Let's be real. Jenkins was held back by Michael Vick in Atlanta and by the time Atlanta had a real QB in Matt Ryan, they'd also added Roddy White and basically pushed Jenkins out.

I'm not saying that he'll be a 1000 yard receiver here, but he's got talent.

I'd add he only played 3 seasons with Ryan and they were all before Atlanta became a passing football team.

this is a decent signing no point to moan and cry about it he is a cheap WR signing that has some upside could definitely put up the numbers he put up last year and might put up more if he makes the team

Now Kafka has someone to play catch with in August

Camp fodder signing.

We are his 3 team in 11 seasons. That isn't a journeyman. In reality he is a slightly younger, bigger and much cheaper alternative to Brandon Lloyd.

Jenkins - 130 games, 354 receptions, 4,427 yards, 25 touchdowns
Lloyd - 128 games, 385 yards, 5,695 yards, 35 touchdowns

If you roll out Lloyd's one season in Denver they're basically identical statically for their careers. At the vet minimum I like him as our 3rd or 4th WR at least till a draft pick develops.

Jenkins:
354-4427y 34.1y/g 12.5avg 72L 25td 228-1st 1096.0yac 630tgt(56%)

• Born: 06/18/1982, in Tampa, FL
  • Height: 6'4"
  • Weight: 214
  • College: Ohio State
  • Rookie Year: 2004
  • NFL Experience: 9 years

Lloyd:
385-5695y 44.5y/g 14.8avg 89L 35td 274-1st 1053.0yac 795tgt (48%)

• Born: 07/05/1981, in Kansas City, MO
  • Height: 6'0"
  • Weight: 200
  • College: Illinois
  • Rookie Year: 2003
  • NFL Experience: 10 years

ok on the bigger,

one yr younger - big whoop.

jenkins has 10y/g less and 2.8y/rec and 10 tds less. as little as BL mattered in RZ, this guy could be less despite the ht.

only big diff that jumps off the page to me besides the height is the tgt % caught; but that is more a WTF on lloyd than a + for jenkins. but TB makes some guys look good. well see. ......depth, depth, depth

We signed Amendola the day before Welker walked. I wonder if this means the end of Lloyd (Colts).

I had considered this simply a good JAG signing until the above post (quotes in Gumby above).

I've always thought that Jenkins was under appreciated, I think he will do well with Brady too. I don't think this is camp fodder at all. I think it could work out quite well actually.

Does Jenkins stay on his feet or does he dive to the ground like Llyod does. If he stays on his feet then it is an up-grade in my book. Llyod drove me nuts when he dove to the ground as soon as he caught the ball.

He's tall and very slow...so when would they use him? Inside the 20 yard line to the endzone

He ran a 4.4 during is pro day. Unless he lost a leg in the last 9 years I don't think he is very slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye