PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are signing WR Michael Jenkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's tall and very slow...so when would they use him? Inside the 20 yard line to the endzone

Actually this is like the 4th and 2 call and the going for it on 4th and long. While you are right and it did blow up in their face I think the logic behind it is somewhat understandable.

They are still going to have 4 TE on the roster. I still think they will be slightly short on the WR roster knowing that they have pinch shadow guys.

Its just a hunch but results dont always mean something wasnt a good idea.

Sometimes good ideas don't pan out, and sometimes bad ideas do pan out. 4th and 2 was a bad idea because it was a bad idea, not because it was called short.

Stocking the WR corps with me/you/a dog named Boo is a bad idea because it's a bad idea. It's sort of like letting your WR3 go and replacing him with stiffs (2009-2012), letting your only legitimate middle-deep threat go without replacing him (2010-2011) or letting the best slot WR in the game go because you want to keep paying him on the cheap instead of giving him fair earned value (2013). You shouldn't need to see the outcome to understand that the idea was bad from the start.

I think BB is gonna grab a WR in round two after trading out of 29th in the first.

I hearing alot talk about this years strong WR class. We'll see but Jenkins isn't going to light up Gillette this year or any year for that matter......

I agree some of these years had some real lame options at WR.

But I think they are just looking at roster spots and I think BB sees extra WRs as a waste of a spot. Particularly when you will have"

AH as a WR
Gronk never coming off the field
Ballad hopefully becoming something great.

With at least 4 TEs I see 5 WR

BL
DA
JE
Slater

and then one of Jones, Jenkens, or someone who out performs everyone in camp. Perhaps a 6th if they draft one and want to develop someone or they go with 3 TEs which is unlikely. To me 4 TE on the roster means 2 are always on the field...at all times. That means you need 3 jquality WR unless you are planning for injury which I dont think is a good way to run a FB team. Or else they could do that in every position.

But the way it is now BB is not likely to devote more than 9 spots to the WR/TE group. He seems to be heading in a direction where more depth in the backfield is better or an extra D lineman. Fresh guys there make a difference.

That is just my observation. You may not agree, hell, I may not agree, but that seems to be the pattern.

Whatever they are doing seems to be working. You can call me a homer until you are blue in the face. It dosent change the fact that BB seems to have changed on where to have extra bodies.

Sometimes good ideas don't pan out, and sometimes bad ideas do pan out. 4th and 2 was a bad idea because it was a bad idea, not because it was called short.

Lol wut? 4th and 2 was not a bad idea. Even the mediots know that.

But I think they are just looking at roster spots and I think BB sees extra WRs as a waste of a spot. Particularly when you will have"

AH as a WR

BL
DA
JE
Slater

I'm hoping for only 3 TEs with one on the "shadow" roster and keeping Hoomanawanui as a FB/TE, and Ridley, Vereen and Bolden at RB. That gives us room for 1 Extra WR

Danny Amendola
Donald Jones
Michael Jenkins
Rookie #1
Rookie #2
Matthew Slater

Lol wut? 4th and 2 was not a bad idea. Even the mediots know that.

It was a moronic idea, because the whole series of downs was a screw up. "Bad" is far too kind. And the mediots you're talking about are the one's who pointed to some percentage studies while ignoring that even one of the men behind/defending the studies acknowledges that going purely on raw numbers is a bad idea, because context matters.

But this takes us way off topic. I don't care about Jenkins. I expect he'll struggle to make the roster because I think the team will draft a WR and bring in another 1-2 (or more) superior options, which is why I posted about Jenkins catching passes from Kafka. I just wasn't willing to buy the "solid backup to Hernandez" stuff....

He's tall. And...well, he's tall.

Everyone here has been clamoring for a tall outside WR. Well, we got one. But maybe we should have said, "tall and *good*" outside WR......

Stocking the WR corps with me/you/a dog named Boo is a bad idea because it's a bad idea. It's sort of like letting your WR3 go and replacing him with stiffs (2009-2012), letting your only legitimate middle-deep threat go without replacing him (2010-2011) or letting the best slot WR in the game go because you want to keep paying him on the cheap instead of giving him fair earned value (2013). You shouldn't need to see the outcome to understand that the idea was bad from the start.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

Insurance if the Draft Pick doesn't work out/while he develops.

AH as a WR

BL
DA
JE
Slater

I wouldn't be too upset with that and I agree with your thoughts on the subject. But before you post again about him, his name is Ballard :cool:

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

That would be a (slightly) better retort if the team had actually converted. Your willingness to defend a godawful decision is noted, though.

I'm hoping for only 3 TEs with one on the "shadow" roster and keeping Hoomanawanui as a FB/TE, and Ridley, Vereen and Bolden at RB. That gives us room for 1 Extra WR

Danny Amendola
Donald Jones
Michael Jenkins
Rookie #1
Rookie #2
Matthew Slater

I think I'd rather have:

Amendola
Sanders
Rookie
Jones
Edelman
Slater

For me it's

DA
Sanders
Lloyd
Rookie
Jones/Jenkins
Slater

Danny Amendola
Donald Jones
Michael Jenkins
Rookie #1
Rookie #2
Matthew Slater

I think it will be 4. They want that to be the nucleus of the offense. I dont blame them. Hoo will be 4th. Fells will be released. I think they had 5 least year at one point.

Washington is absolutely 100% making this team. They need a return game.

Lloyd is coming back. I think. Where is he going? They would be stupid to not bring back JE although with his foot I see a great opportunity to PUP him to see what else they have. Personally I want the guy healthy and out there.

They should draft a WR or hope Ebert starts to develop.

My guess BL, DA, JE, DJ, MS, Rookie/young guy. That is 6 and I think that is pushing it. With AH you dont need 6 WRs

The Rotoworld write up.............should get everyone jacked and pumped :)

" Jenkins, 31 in June, caught 40 passes for 449 yards and two touchdowns last season, appearing in all 16 games. "Molasses Mike" was released by the Vikings more than three weeks ago, and didn't draw an ounce of known interest before signing with New England. The deal is likely for the veteran's minimum, and it isn't a guarantee that he'll make the team out of training camp. Jenkins can block, but he can no longer generate any separation from defensive backs."

I think I'd rather have:

Amendola
Sanders
Rookie
Jones
Edelman
Slater

Slater might be primed to make that all important 2nd reception this year.

Slater might be primed to make that all important 2nd reception this year.

Eh. He's only a WR because, for some inexplicable reason, they don't identify STOP players as such.

I think it will be 4. They want that to be the nucleus of the offense. I dont blame them. Hoo will be 4th. Fells will be released. I think they had 5 least year at one point.

Washington is absolutely 100% making this team. They need a return game.

Lloyd is coming back. I think. Where is he going? They would be stupid to not bring back JE although with his foot I see a great opportunity to PUP him to see what else they have. Personally I want the guy healthy and out there.

They should draft a WR or hope Ebert starts to develop.

My guess BL, DA, JE, DJ, MS, Rookie/young guy. That is 6 and I think that is pushing it. With AH you dont need 6 WRs

Lloyd is visiting the Colts. They apparently passed on DHB.

I doubt he's coming back - wish he would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back