PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are signing WR Michael Jenkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't even put Randy Moss and Michael Jenkins in the same sentence.

Randy Moss in his prime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Michael Jenkins

I hear Randy is still available... :rolleyes:

Ah, there's something comforting about the predictable outrage of posters who seem to think your 80 man preseason roster needs to be filled with starting caliber players only.

Man, you guys are tough. It's a 53 man roster. This guy has been a solid 40 catch a year guy, year after year after year. It's reasonable to think he'll replace Deion Branch's production in the Pats offense.

Man, you guys are tough. It's a 53 man roster. This guy has been a solid 40 catch a year guy, year after year after year. It's reasonable to think he'll replace Deion Branch's production in the Pats offense.

Maybe he will replace Shianco? :D

Not surprising....

It's the annual 'we will sign a washed up or WTF WR in his 30s' move.

A bit younger at 31 but follows in the footsteps of WRs to compete and then usually gone by summer ....(Holt,Patten ect)

Camp Fodder for sure

Well the sad thing is that a washed up Torry Holt is probably still better than an in his prime Jenkins. I mean Holt's worst season (722 yards in 2009) is almost better than Jenkins best (777 in 2008).

Torry Holt NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Michael Jenkins NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Jenkins is a career journeyman receiver. I don't expect any better than 500 yards from him at best, if he even makes the 53 that is.

I think everyone here is waiting for that other shoe to drop. That other impact WR that is needed. Anything less will be met with disapproval. If we had Sanders from the Steelers and added Jenkins after him I'd bet people here would be more receptive. Fair or not that is the reality when it comes to the WR position.

Well the sad thing is that a washed up Torry Holt is probably still better than an in his prime Jenkins. I mean Holt's worst season (722 yards in 2009) is almost better than Jenkins best (777 in 2008).

Torry Holt NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Michael Jenkins NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Jenkins is a career journeyman receiver. I don't expect any better than 500 yards from him at best, if he even makes the 53 that is.

Eh, Welker never had 1300+ yds on the fins till he was a Pat. Anything is possible.

The growing skepticism and desperation on this board about the Pats WR position is amazing.

I posted earlier that Aaron Hernandez's role in the offense would be more easily replaced if/when he's injured by a bigger WR than a TE. Jenkins could fit that role with his size, run-blocking ability and versatility to play outside and in the slot.

I'm sure more moves are coming. But, Jenkins could prove to be a solid backup to an oft-injured but very valuable part of the Pats offense.

The growing skepticism and desperation on this board about the Pats WR position is amazing.

I posted earlier that Aaron Hernandez's role in the offense would be more easily replaced if/when he's injured by a bigger WR than a TE. Jenkins could fit that role with his size, run-blocking ability and versatility to play outside and in the slot.

I'm sure more moves are coming. But, Jenkins could prove to be a solid backup to an oft-injured but very valuable part of the Pats offense.

If you're relying on Jenkins stepping in for Hernandez, you might as well start planning ahead to the 2014 season right now, because 2013 is already dead in that scenario.

I think everyone here is waiting for that other shoe to drop. That other impact WR that is needed. Anything less will be met with disapproval. If we had Sanders from the Steelers and added Jenkins after him I'd bet people here would be more receptive. Fair or not that is the reality when it comes to the WR position.

Posters are just obnoxious. Now they ***** about the order in which things are done. Its a free tire kicking on a guy who a an experienced pro. He wont be a starter and prob wont make the team and wont cost anything

They will probably take a shot in the draft for a WR. Add him to Lloyd, DA, JE, another savvy vet they will pick upon waivers...plus your shadow roster guys and current crop of potentials...

With our TEs that is all you need. Diddnt we only have 4 WR last year?

Stop *****ing about everything.

Eh, Welker never had 1300+ yds on the fins till he was a Pat. Anything is possible.

LOL the difference is that Jenkins has been in the league NINE years now. He is what he is, a 31 year old journeyman receiver who won't get much better and in fact will probably decline pretty soon. Holt retired at age 33 FYI. Welker meanwhile had just turned 26 when he made the swap over to our system.

If he can pick up the Pats offense he will be fine. For whatever reason picking up the pats offense is not as simple as it sounds. If he can't figure out the offense fast or if he is half as washed up physically as others on this thread have indicated than he will be gone. Sounds like a short dollar contract so what is the big deal?

Not necessarily the answer but I'll take this on my team any day. Likely a zero risk signing, at a position in clear need. He's had multiple seasons of putting up solid #'s for a 3rd option, borderline 2nd option so to me he is worth a look. That said I still hope we go after Sanders and Lloyd.

Posters are just obnoxious. Now they ***** about the order in which things are done. Its a free tire kicking on a guy who a an experienced pro. He wont be a starter and prob wont make the team and wont cost anything

They will probably take a shot in the draft for a WR. Add him to Lloyd, DA, JE, another savvy vet they will pick upon waivers...plus your shadow roster guys and current crop of potentials...

With our TEs that is all you need.

Last year proved just how wrong your thinking on this topic is.

If you're relying on Jenkins stepping in for Hernandez, you might as well start planning ahead to the 2014 season right now, because 2013 is already dead in that scenario.

Jesus. All the guy is saying is that Jenkins is credible as a backup in the spot Hernandez will occupy much of the time. Right now your slot/inline pass-catcher behind Hernandez is Fells or Hooman or Brad Herman. Should we have been planning ahead before?

More camp fodder...i'll be shocked if this guy makes it to September in a Patriots uniform...so far we have Will Svitek, Adrian Wilson, Donald Jones, Leon Washington, Danny Amendola, Jason Vega, Armond Armstead for new free additions...put any one of these guys on the Pats against Baltimore last season in the playoffs - think anyone on this list would have been the difference maker that so many Patriots fans are looking for???? Realistically would one of these guys have stripped sacked Flacco when the Pats REALLY needed a play to get things going again? Would any of these guys made a game changing play???? Wouldn't surprise if most of these guys are cut in camp...

Gronk and AH are not coming off the field. Ballad is going to be the other TE and AH will essentially become a featured WR. BB wants his best players playing as much as possible.

Ballad will surprise some people.

So AH, Lloyd (who will be back), DA with 2 TE is main receiving grouping.

Thats 5 guys. Plus the 5 Oline. Plus TB

Add a running back and Ballad or Lloyd come out. Or 2 WR and they run the power package.

You need more WR: AH, Lloyd, DA and Jules as 4 wide. Gronk will still be out there. Translation; I dont think it really matters who the other guys are baring injury. It is such a TE driven system now you really can get away with 4 WR. They will have 4 TE at least

DA, BL, JE, with AH really a WR leaves another spot for Jones or whomever. That is all you need. Slater is always ready to take a snap if needed. Stallworth and Branch will be shadow. And they will have a couple of guys on the practice squad.

This is before we start talking about a big time draft WR.

You mean he was proved wrong when we made it to a second consecutive AFC title game and led the league in offense by a huge margin with 1.5 competent NFL receivers on the roster? Or was it after we lost a playoff game with our biggest passing weapon out with a broken arm?

Actually this is like the 4th and 2 call and the going for it on 4th and long. While you are right and it did blow up in their face I think the logic behind it is somewhat understandable.

They are still going to have 4 TE on the roster. I still think they will be slightly short on the WR roster knowing that they have pinch shadow guys.

Its just a hunch but results dont always mean something wasnt a good idea.

Jesus. All the guy is saying is that Jenkins is credible as a backup in the spot Hernandez will occupy much of the time.

And I'm saying that if Michael Jenkins is playing the Hernandez Role because Hernandez is gone, you can stick a fork in the season, because he's [highlight]not[/highlight] anything approaching a credible backup for Hernandez.

Right now your slot/inline pass-catcher behind Hernandez is Fells or Hooman or Brad Herman. Should we have been planning ahead before?

You don't really want me to go into what this team should have done with the receiving corps, because it'll start the usual bloodbath of a thread. I've been talking about it for years, and the homers on the board tend to be about 2 seasons behind me on the topic.

My point here is that Jenkins is a JAG. He's not a capable replacement for the player who, as of now, is the team's only dynamic "moves" guy. He's likely not even being looked at for that role. If he's going to fit anywhere, it's likely to be as a lesser version of the 2007-2008 Gaffney role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back