PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are signing WR Michael Jenkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Jenkins stay on his feet or does he dive to the ground like Llyod does. If he stays on his feet then it is an up-grade in my book. Llyod drove me nuts when he dove to the ground as soon as he caught the ball.

Lloyd caught 77 passes with Orton/Tebow as his QBs, and had a 70 catch season with Orton/Bradford/Feeley/Clemens/Brandstater as his QBs. His 74 catches in New England were right in line with his recent production.

Mike Jenkins has a career high of 53 catches, and that was back in 2007. Last year, he played all 16 games for a team that desperately needed WR help, and he had a total of 40 catches. Could he be an upgrade? Anything's possible, but the numbers are against it.

Molasses Mike = Donald Hayes.

Does Jenkins stay on his feet or does he dive to the ground like Llyod does. If he stays on his feet then it is an up-grade in my book. Llyod drove me nuts when he dove to the ground as soon as he caught the ball.

well, his career avg of 3.1 yac compares to 2.7 yac for lloyd favorably for him staying on his feet .........
...So extrapolating that out to his 3 catches per game avg he should net the Pats a whole extra 1.2 yds per game. over lloyd. :bricks:

I'll be honest here. He was catching passes from Vick in Atlanta and somebody in Minnesota, Ponder? I don't even want to know.

But the chances this guy is not an Ocho or Holt clone is slim.

By the third week of camp Brady will be ignoring him like bad wallpaper.

I wish we were signing younger players -_-

Aiken is 23
DA is 27
Ebert is 23
Holmes is 24
Jones is 25
Edelman is 26

Jenkins is 30

Sounds like Lloyd is gone. I would hope they would try to draft someone.
We need some veteran presence.

I hope the Pats dont plan to replace Lloyd's production as an outside receiver with Jag vets and a high rookie draft pick.

if that pick doesnt work out/produce right away you are looking at a huge hole for a team with championship aspirations

still time to offer Sanedrs a contract though

Lloyd caught 77 passes with Orton/Tebow as his QBs, and had a 70 catch season with Orton/Bradford/Feeley/Clemens/Brandstater as his QBs. His 74 catches in New England were right in line with his recent production.

Mike Jenkins has a career high of 53 catches, and that was back in 2007. Last year, he played all 16 games for a team that desperately needed WR help, and he had a total of 40 catches. Could he be an upgrade? Anything's possible, but the numbers are against it.

Mike Jenkins is a perfectly serviceable third wideout who can pass for a #2 for a game or two. He's professional and consistent and does a few things pretty well. He blocks well on bubble screens, which the Pats run a lot of. He beats the jam most of the time. He also runs good crossing routes and he has good hands.

He's not a starting X and he's not a playmaker like even Lloyd occasionally is. But he's an upgrade over Deion Branch, who played major snaps for us in the playoffs last year and was Brady's desperation target multiple times at the end of our last Super Bowl. You hope Jenkins doesn't make the team, but if he does, he's not a complete zero, even if Mike Florio rags on him constantly.

The Patriots still don't have a starting outside receiver but they've done a good job of finding some guys to compete for those third and fourth wideout jobs. Beyond Gronk, Hernandez and Amendola, they really just need a couple of professional receivers out there so they don't have to rely on Kamar Aikens or Tiquan Underwoods during playoff runs. Donald Jones and Jenkins aren't exciting, but they're useful. It's weird to see everyone so worked up over the signing of a guy who's been a useful player in the league for a long time.

It's weird to see everyone so worked up over the signing of a guy who's been a useful player in the league for a long time.

It is and then remember the type of people on this forum and it should be expected. Seriously there are posters here who I think dont have a clue how the game is played or a FO is managed.

Comic gold.

I like the combination of this move and the Jones move. If we do add Sanders as planned, or bring back Lloyd, these 2 will be 3rd and 4th Wr and we haven't had reserve WRs that good in a long time.
They aren't world beaters but they are quality, well rounded WRs, not narrow skilled gimmicky, special teams guys.

Mike Jenkins is a perfectly serviceable third wideout who can pass for a #2 for a game or two...

No, he's not. Or, at least, he hasn't been throughout the course of his career. He's been a WR4/WR5 who's been force fed the WR2/WR3 roles and failed at them. Overhyping the guy's no better than underrating him.

No, he's not. Or, at least, he hasn't been throughout the course of his career. He's been a WR4/WR5 who's been force fed the WR2/WR3 roles and failed at them. Overhyping the guy's no better than underrating him.

I agree with this assessment, but there is nothing wrong with creating competition for the wr4/wr5 spot. He probably won't make the team, but you want players to fight for spots. He is (or at least was) a decent blocking wr as well.

This signing is very meh. At least we finally have a WR that's taller than
Five foot two, I suppose.

It is and then remember the type of people on this forum and it should be expected. Seriously there are posters here who I think dont have a clue how the game is played or a FO is managed.

Comic gold.

I think it stems from the fact that the Pats really havent done anything as of YET to replace Lloyd's outside receiver role.

guys like Jones/jenkins are nice for WR3, 4,5 competition I guess...but we still have NO quality starter to play alongside Amendola

He's more of a David Givens type receiver, except taller. Not a bad signing if he's healthy and can learn the system.

O.K. I agree with you. Decent post.
DW Toys

Have to beg to differ.
I don't know f he makes it here but ran a 4.42 in college.
I pasted this earlier

"Jenkins finished his seven year Falcons career with 276 catches for 3,512 yards, a 12.7 yards per catch average and 20 touchdowns. I’ll remember him fondly for 2005 to 2008, when he was either the team’s best or second best receiver and a very capable blocker for a potent rushing attack. There were a lot of times I wished the Falcons would just find an upgrade for him, but he was a good, hard-working Falcon for a long time."
DW Toys

Well, there's the tall WR that people have been begging for. Could be a solid #3 or not make the team. Hard to tell at this point.

We've been begging for someone tall and good.

Shoot I'm 6'4". Nobody called me

Have to beg to differ.
I don't know f he makes it here but ran a 4.42 in college.
I pasted this earlier

"Jenkins finished his seven year Falcons career with 276 catches for 3,512 yards, a 12.7 yards per catch average and 20 touchdowns. I’ll remember him fondly for 2005 to 2008, when he was either the team’s best or second best receiver and a very capable blocker for a potent rushing attack. There were a lot of times I wished the Falcons would just find an upgrade for him, but he was a good, hard-working Falcon for a long time."
DW Toys

First, his speed in college is irrelevant to whether or not he's a WR1-WR5 in the NFL.

Second, as to his ability to serve as a quality WR1-WR2 at any time in his career, we'll just have to disagree.

well, his career avg of 3.1 yac compares to 2.7 yac for lloyd favorably for him staying on his feet .........
...So extrapolating that out to his 3 catches per game avg he should net the Pats a whole extra 1.2 yds per game. over lloyd. :bricks:

I think it's likely more to do with a minimum salary compared to a $4.5 million cap hit. Jenkins looks like a much better player when you consider that aspect.

Ah, there's something comforting about the predictable outrage of posters who seem to think your 80 man preseason roster needs to be filled with starting caliber players only.

You beat me to it. I like these posts because it helps me figure out who is knowledgeable and who isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft