PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots agree to terms with Leigh Bodden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots Agree to Terms with Bodden

This is great we are gonna be having a hell of a season this year!

I don't know about you guys, but the fact that he only signed for the league minimum should scare people. This should tell us that Bodden didn't generate much interest and the Pats don't expect much out of him. This could very well be like the Fernando Bryant type signing last year. Do not be surprised if Bodden doesn't make the team. You can bet the Pats draft a corner with one of their first day picks in April's draft. As of right now, Springs and Hobbs are the starters. Granted, the Pats CB's are a hell of a lot better than last season. But it's laughable that most people on this board think Bodden is the savior. I'll give the guy a chance but I won't hold my breath.

I think the thing with Hobbs is, he can be your number 1 corner if you get turnovers from other places. If you're front seven is forcing fumbles and getting pressure, Hobbs is fine as your #1. If you have a ball hawking safety like Ed Reed, Hobbs is fine as your #1.

Ed Reed, like Troy Polamalu, has played his entire career behind an absolutely blistering pass rush.

Playmakers don't operate on an island. They're the guys who the defensive scheme puts into position to break up the most common mistakes a QB makes when hes pressured.

Bellichick came out and said that about Asante last year. His job was to undercut receivers. You put out a great pass rush on the Pats, and someone will have 10 picks. It might be Hobbs. It might be Merriweather, but that doesn't mean that player is a "playmaker". It means that player has been chosen to play the role that most commonly puts them in position to get their hands on the ball.

I don't know about you guys, but the fact that he only signed for the league minimum should scare people. This should tell us that Bodden didn't generate much interest and the Pats don't expect much out of him. This could very well be like the Fernando Bryant type signing last year. Do not be surprised if Bodden doesn't make the team. You can bet the Pats draft a corner with one of their first day picks in April's draft. As of right now, Springs and Hobbs are the starters. Granted, the Pats CB's are a hell of a lot better than last season. But it's laughable that most people on this board think Bodden is the savior. I'll give the guy a chance but I won't hold my breath.

Hes young, and 2 years ago he was one of the best in the league.

And who says this was the best offer he received? We've seen a bunch of players in the last couple years take less money to play in NE.

Ed Reed, like Troy Polamalu, has played his entire career behind an absolutely blistering pass rush.

Playmakers don't operate on an island. They're the guys who the defensive scheme puts into position to break up the most common mistakes a QB makes when hes pressured.

Bellichick came out and said that about Asante last year. His job was to undercut receivers. You put out a great pass rush on the Pats, and someone will have 10 picks. It might be Hobbs. It might be Merriweather, but that doesn't mean that player is a "playmaker". It means that player has been chosen to play the role that most commonly puts them in position to get their hands on the ball.

You put your best playmaker in that position.

So.....

Springs and Hobbs the starters, with Wheatley, Wilhite and Bodden vying for time at the nickel and dime spots?

I wouldn't pencil anybody in as a starter yet....this is gonna be a battle.

So.....

Springs and Hobbs the starters, with Wheatley, Wilhite and Bodden vying for time at the nickel and dime spots?

I think when it all shakes out, Bodden & Hobbs start, with Springs coming in for nickle. I think that would work best to maximize the older Springs value by not having him on the field for every play and essentially guaranteeing an inevitable injury.

So.....

I think Springs probably has the inside track, but I think it's Hobbs (due to his experience within the system), and then a four way competition for the other starting corner spot.

So much for the "Since Bodden left without a contract, his chances of signing are slim to none" crowd. I kinda figured it was only a matter of time. Good move for the Pats. The guy may actually be a stud (or at least solid starter) in the making if last year was an aborration (and even his last year's production is spun to make it look worse than it was).

Here is Scouts Inc's take:

After being acquired in 2008, Bodden became one of the Lions most consistent defenders. He is a great combination of size, strength and athleticism. He is an instinctive player who leverages receivers well, while keeping proper cushion and body position to react quickly from the perimeter. He has excellent vision of his opponent and the play as it unfolds, which allows him to anticipate, jump patterns and make a play on the ball. He can be physical to jam and re-route receivers from the press position. He has good hips, quickness, agility and speed to turn and run deep with his opponent. Bodden is also a solid open-field tackler with good technique to wrap up his opponent and he keeps his pads over his feet, which enables him to be sure in space. He is an aggressive player who uses his hands well in block protection to keep himself alive to the pile.

They give him a grade of 76 which makes him a "good starter".

Wheatley looked close to a breakthrough until he broke his PREVIOUSLY UNINJURED wrist.
Hobbs is a decent Corner (likely better when not returning kicks) and an excellent KR. Don't be shocked if this move means:

A) Wheatley's injury is such that the Pats won't give him a roster spot.
B) Hobbs and a draft pick will soon hop a plane to Carolina.

Never. Happen.

There's gotta be something in the Global Warming melt affecting Canader's water.

I'm in agreement that we should temper our enthusiasm. But an alternate look at the one year vet min deal was presented by someone, that with a potential uncapped year coming up, Bodden might have wanted to take a short deal with a team that's proven to make people money, rather than a multi year deal worth a few million more overall, that keeps him from cashing in on the free-for-all.

I think when it all shakes out, Bodden & Hobbs start, with Springs coming in for nickle. I think that would work best to maximize the older Springs value by not having him on the field for every play and essentially guaranteeing an inevitable injury.

I think that may be the case, but don't count out Wheatley just yet. Don't be shocked if Springs or another CB moves to FS and rotates with Meriweather. Meriweather has improved in coverage, but still can get burnt. Springs is best used sparingly because as you say age and durability is an issue.

This is a deep draft. I don't want to see picks traded away for weaker drafts. That being said, we are filling in depth nicely which allows us to take the highest rated players we can find.

We have needs at S, WR and a pass-rushing OLB, or someone who can move into Seymour's spot in case they can't sign him after next year.

But after those needs, we have the luxury of taking the highest player on the board.

Agreed. A backup NT and even a development project LT would be nice too.

okay player, i think he'l be closer to not making the team than being a superstar

okay player, i think he'l be closer to not making the team than being a superstar

Huh?!? The guy had six interceptions in 2007 playing in a Belichick defense in Cleveland. Scout Inc and Football Prospectus love the guy. He was one of the first free agents the Pats went after in free agency. He should be a solid contributor.

The fact the Pats went after him right away tells me that he ain't getting cut. It may have taken an extra week or so to get the deal done, but it wasn't like the Pats picked him up in April when players were desperate to sign anywhere.

If Bodden signed for the one yr vet minimum, I really like the deal to provide some depth and competition.

Miguel can tell us for sure, but it is possible that the $750K is vet min since vets with a more years of experience have a higher threshold for vet min than players with less experience (the diff between their actually salary and the vet min amount is ignored for salary cap purposes).

Then again, Bodden hasn't been around that long, so I'm not entirely sure.

This comment couldn't be farther from the truth. You have a right to your opinion but this is a quality player. He will turn 28 on 9/24. Before being traded to Detroit he was the Browns' best CB. I'm really not that concerned about his bad season w/Detroit in 2008 because with Cleveland he was pretty damn good. Hard worker who has made himself a solid player after entering the league as an UDFA from Duquesne. Although he's only played all 16 games once, last yr in Detroit, his toughness can't be questioned. Uses the jam effectively vs WRs and is a smooth player in transition. Good speed and aggression. Good tackler for his position and plays the run well. Clearly wasn't happy in Detroit last season. Had only int in the Lions secondary. Was playing better by season's end but there was no way Detroit was going to pay him w/a $8.6 mil roster bonus due. Browns traded him because of his outrageous contract demands. So teams have let him go due to money issues not lack of talent. He may think he is better than he is but he is a solid player.

Last edited:

I'm with you on this.

Boy I hope he looks better than last year. I also hope he's not expensive. I don't think Vince will be extended this year now :(

You know who Bodden is better than? Hobbs, and no one is talking about cutting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes