PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots agree to terms with Leigh Bodden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots Agree to Terms with Bodden

I love this move..we have the vet...and also now a taller CB...to go with Hobbs and teh young ones..I think the CB position is strong...next step safeties...Harrison? WIlliams Tank or Roy... I really hope Rodney will return to have a last go at it with a solid year..even though playing only in spots

I think we could use an OLB, an ILB, and a S to be really set. I think an impact OLB or Safety with our first rounder would be ideal, if we like someone there.

Bodden is going to be on Sirius this afternoon with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan (don't know excatly what time).

Funny, Bodden's media value just went thru the roof.

I would imagine Stacey James is talking to him right now going over a long list of things to say, and not to say.

I agree. Hobbs is still a starter IMO.

I think Bill wants to make competetion the name of the secondary game this summer. Hobbles better come in and show he can cover, else he is the nickle I think he is.

Great news!

From 0-16 to 16-0 for Mr. Bodden.

I am in agreement withteh crowd that thinks this means no day 1 CB pick for the Patriots.

The Ws are our young and upcomig guys, Hobbs is signed through at least next season, Springs and Bodden along with Richardson is 5 Cbs on the roster, that is quite a bit of CB. I doubt they would use a high pick to compete with Richardson unless they saw a guy they really liked.

Definitly means we could see a safety, ILB and OLB drafted in the first day, with the liklihood of them packaging up and trading up for a guy they have targetted or....worse would be trading the pick away for picks next year (I say worse cause it is no fun!)

I think Bill wants to make competetion the name of the secondary game this summer. Hobbles better come in and show he can cover, else he is the nickle I think he is.

It actually reminds me of the offseason after the Colts loss. We go through a rough season with Reche Caldwell as our number 1 WR following the unexpected departure of Deion Branch. So we go out and get Moss, Welker, and Stallworth. Voila, record setting offensive year.

This past year, we struggle through a season where we can't stop anyone 3rd and long with Hobbs as our number 1 CB following the loss (this time probably more expected) of Asante. So we go out, sign Springs and Bodden, and still could draft another CB if we see fit. Hopefully it will lead to an improved defense this year to compliment our still very potent offense.

Hate to be Debbie Downer but you all know we probably will be sending a newly signed guy for the secondary onto IR before week 1 begins since it has been that way for 6 straight years now - Lets hope Bodden and Springs are not one of them but its probably inevitable someone goes down in camp and makes the depth lighter.

Hate to be Debbie Downer but you all know we probably will be sending a newly signed guy for the secondary onto IR before week 1 begins since it has been that way for 6 straight years now - Lets hope Bodden and Springs are not one of them but its probably inevitable someone goes down in camp and makes the depth lighter.

Hence the reason drafting another corner would not be a bad thing, and trading one away (like someone mentioned in a peppers deal), would be dealing from a falsely perceived area of strength.

I really don't think you can blame everything on Ellis Hobbs. He certainly is a definite playmaker, who can play the game. Remember his outstanding knockdowns in the AFCCG against Indy when we lost. He was on point. I think this move was brought in to promote depth and the ability to battle in camp. I'm not sure signing Leigh Bodden to a 1 yr deal necessarily means that Ellis Hobbs is done, or anything close.

He will get a big deal next yr, around 8 mill/ per yr--you can take that to the bank. We are probably in the big picture, getting ready for his departure next yr, and providing some competition. There have been times where Hobbs has played lights out, and there are still some things for him to improve. I don't condone blaming Hobbs for the poor 3rd down ratio, or even for occasionally giving up a big play. He'll still be a starter IMO

I am in agreement withteh crowd that thinks this means no day 1 CB pick for the Patriots.

I seem to recall the Pats drafting TE after TE one year... not to say that I don't agree with you, but come draft day, crazy things tend to happen :)

Richardson was on IR in 2007, he started 2008 on the Practice Squad before being called up and seeing spot duty in relief of O'Neal and Hobbs, plus doing a solid job on STs.
details, details...

Hence the reason drafting another corner would not be a bad thing, and trading one away (like someone mentioned in a peppers deal), would be dealing from a falsely perceived area of strength.

Yeah,People in here get all hard and excited when we sign a decent secondary guy or elsewhere on defense (Tank Williams last year,DE Rodney Bailey in 2004 and others in recent years) only to see them carted off and dissapear - Who will it be this year to dissapoint us or IR? - Frankly I hate the thought of losing secondary guys this year,Hopefully we don't

The Ws are our young and upcomig guys, Hobbs is signed through at least next season, Springs and Bodden along with Richardson is 5 Cbs on the roster, that is quite a bit of CB. I doubt they would use a high pick to compete with Richardson unless they saw a guy they really liked.

Wilhite and Wheatley just called. One of them is p***ed off. ;)

I really don't think you can blame everything on Ellis Hobbs. He certainly is a definite playmaker, who can play the game. Remember his outstanding knockdowns in the AFCCG against Indy when we lost. He was on point. I think this move was brought in to promote depth and the ability to battle in camp. I'm not sure signing Leigh Bodden to a 1 yr deal necessarily means that Ellis Hobbs is done, or anything close.

He will get a big deal next yr, around 8 mill/ per yr--you can take that to the bank. We are probably in the big picture, getting ready for his departure next yr, and providing some competition. There have been times where Hobbs has played lights out, and there are still some things for him to improve. I don't condone blaming Hobbs for the poor 3rd down ratio, or even for occasionally giving up a big play. He'll still be a starter IMO

Hobbs biggest problem since he has been in the league is not the fact that many times he loses his guy but more of the fact that he often has some killer PI calls that hurt the team,He needs to improve on that and avoid taking those chances that he often loses to the refs decision.

This is a deep draft. I don't want to see picks traded away for weaker drafts. That being said, we are filling in depth nicely which allows us to take the highest rated players we can find.

We have needs at S, WR and a pass-rushing OLB, or someone who can move into Seymour's spot in case they can't sign him after next year.

But after those needs, we have the luxury of taking the highest player on the board.

Only a one year deal? I would liked a multi-year contract...

Hobbs biggest problem since he has been in the league is not the fact that many times he loses his guy but more of the fact that he often has some killer PI calls that hurt the team,He needs to improve on that and avoid taking those chances that he often loses to the refs decision.

I think the thing with Hobbs is, he can be your number 1 corner if you get turnovers from other places. If you're front seven is forcing fumbles and getting pressure, Hobbs is fine as your #1. If you have a ball hawking safety like Ed Reed, Hobbs is fine as your #1.

Last year, we didn't get as much pressure and we didn't seem to get turnovers out of anyone. In that case, Hobbs being solid but not a big playmaker really stood out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back