PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots agree to terms with Leigh Bodden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots Agree to Terms with Bodden

wow, two 6'0 corners. I like it.

Only a one year deal? I would liked a multi-year contract...

Yeah but we got him for veteran minimum. We can always re-sign him, but this saves us a ton of money this year, which we need. He can cash in next year.

League vet minimum-- bargain

-Rob-

Yeah but we got him for veteran minimum. We can always re-sign him, but this saves us a ton of money this year, which we need. He can cash in next year.

-Rob-

Where did you read that? Did I miss that in the article? :confused:

Only a one year deal? I would liked a multi-year contract...
We're heading into Hobbs' last year, if Bodden and the Patriots like each other I'm sure they'll be happy to discuss something longer.

Why on earth would they draft another CB on day one?

The only way I can see that happening is if someone they covet happens to fall in their lap. Otherwise, I doubt it.

Because the Patriots may lose both Bodden and Hobbs after 2009.

Last edited:

I think the thing with Hobbs is, he can be your number 1 corner if you get turnovers from other places. If you're front seven is forcing fumbles and getting pressure, Hobbs is fine as your #1. If you have a ball hawking safety like Ed Reed, Hobbs is fine as your #1.

Last year, we didn't get as much pressure and we didn't seem to get turnovers out of anyone. In that case, Hobbs being solid but not a big playmaker really stood out.

I agree totally. I also think PATSFANINPA makes a great pt about the PI calls, if he could work on that he'd really be a lot better. 2 really good points about Hobbs from you guys. And let's remember that he was playing new responsibilities last yr also, with the departure of A.Samuel. IMO he didn't do as bad as some people like to think, and he gets picked on a little too much around here

so what........they still have wheatley and wilhite.......

Unknowns at this point. We saw glimpses, but if there's a guy they like this draft, why not take him? You know we're going to lose a CB to injury before the season is done (maybe two or three). There is room for another talented body in the secondary.

Again, if there's someone high on their board available. They're not going to reach for one just to add a CB for sure.

vic carucci says the deal is for one year $750,000. Rotoworld NFL Page.

Wheatley looked close to a breakthrough until he broke his PREVIOUSLY UNINJURED wrist.
Hobbs is a decent Corner (likely better when not returning kicks) and an excellent KR. Don't be shocked if this move means:

A) Wheatley's injury is such that the Pats won't give him a roster spot.
B) Hobbs and a draft pick will soon hop a plane to Carolina.

I don't think Springs/Bodden means either of those things. Wheatley done? ... based on him being put on IR last year? CB was pretty weak last season.... and the rookies were not the problem.

I think Hobbs is still an important asset and not trade bait. We seem to have the right level of good CBs now IMO. No need to cut/trade our depth away.

This is a deep draft. I don't want to see picks traded away for weaker drafts. That being said, we are filling in depth nicely which allows us to take the highest rated players we can find.

We have needs at S, WR and a pass-rushing OLB, or someone who can move into Seymour's spot in case they can't sign him after next year.

But after those needs, we have the luxury of taking the highest player on the board.

The perception is that 2010 has potential to be a better draft.

If they're sitting at #23 and they don't have a 1st round grade for what's left then it's very conceivable that they trade back or into next year.

The Pats tend to focus on a couple of problems during the off-season, and add a lot of depth at those areas - in both free agency and the draft.
I do not think this means the Pats will not draft a corner on Day One of the draft.

Following the 2001 Super Bowl season, for example, they re-made the receiving corps with multiple free agent receivers and tight ends, adding Fauria, Cleeland, Graham, Hayes, Branch, and Givens.

I would not be surprised to see a similar approach with the secondary, adding both rookies as well as wide receivers.

Wheatley done? ... based on him being put on IR last year?

Has a corner back every been "done" because of a broken wrist before? I can't think of one.

Wheatley makes the roster, and gets loads of playing time this year.

Last edited:

If Bodden signed for the one yr vet minimum, I really like the deal to provide some depth and competition. Great Signing, could possibly work out well. This should also point out that he probably wasn't signed "to replace Hobbs as a starter." As 32 front offices in the league do not value his services anywhere near that of an athlete like Hobbs. And that isn't to say that you provide player value on every dollar amt around the league, but just to discourage those from thinking that they are in the same ballpark. If Bodden could provide some depth and competition we'd win on this deal. If he is being groomed to replace Ellis Hobbs I would be shocked, although pleasantly. ;)

The one year deal aspect is also interesting.

This is one more potential starter lined up as an unrestricted free agent in the potentially-uncapped year. A lot of uncertainty.

It's quite possible Bodden was unhappy with the longer-term offers he was receiving, following a disappointing year with the Lions. After all, the Pats did give Springs a longer deal. But surprising, given the huge group of free agents next year.

-Rob-

:woohoo: :woohoo:

I am pretty sure Bodden is looking at getting the "Patriot pedigree" on his resume and with a decent rush along with teams playing from behind more often, possibly getting some picks during the season.

This is a chance to rehab his image to the other teams and is worth the cheap pay to come here.

So.....

Springs and Hobbs the starters, with Wheatley, Wilhite and Bodden vying for time at the nickel and dime spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back