PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots agree to terms with Leigh Bodden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots Agree to Terms with Bodden

Boy I hope he looks better than last year. I also hope he's not expensive. I don't think Vince will be extended this year now :(

Again, he signed for the vet minimum for one year. This won't effect any other moves/extentions the Pats want to make if they were in the cards already.

Does the sudden rash of big, tall corners mean a change in philosophy? It seems like refs have been slacking off on calling illegal contact again, and we saw a lot more press coverage last year. I wonder if BB sees which way the winds are blowing and might be moving closer to that direction. I certianly hope so as that seems to be the style that suits his defense best. I miss the days of Otis Smith and Ty Law practically mugging WRs down the field. I can only hope.

Matt Bowen says he's the best available CB (well, was):

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/free-agents-available-defense/

Leigh Bodden (Lions) – Bodden might have the best value of all the defensive players left on the market. He is physical enough to jam receivers in Cover 2 and can make plays on the football in man-to-man situations. If you need a corner, this is your guy. Can’t find this kind of athleticism and experience in the draft.

Last edited:

Does the sudden rash of big, tall corners mean a change in philosophy? It seems like refs have been slacking off on calling illegal contact again, and we saw a lot more press coverage last year. I wonder if BB sees which way the winds are blowing and might be moving closer to that direction. I certianly hope so as that seems to be the style that suits his defense best. I miss the days of Otis Smith and Ty Law practically mugging WRs down the field. I can only hope.

I think the trend coming down the road is a shift from the vertical passing game ala Favre, Elway, Peyton Manning of old, etc... to more teams going the Pats route with short, quick passes and moving the chains offense, ala Brady, new Peyton Manning, Roethlisberger, etc. With shorter passes, you want bigger corners who can jam at the line and tackle in space.

so what........they still have wheatley and wilhite.......

If BB was 100% sure about Wheatley and Wilhite being adequate NFL

cornerbacks, he wouldn't have signed Bodden and Springs. I believe

the Pats with expend a day one pick on a cornerback because it is

the best and cheapest way to acquire a good cornerback and have

his services for at least four years.

I thought that there was a league rule that all patriot corners needed to be shorter than 6 feet.:)

Again, he signed for the vet minimum for one year. This won't effect any other moves/extentions the Pats want to make if they were in the cards already.

This has been confirmed? The articles I read said nothing about the contract. If so, it's a good signing.

Why has Hobbs become the Pats stray pet? Everyone says Bodden isn't that great but he is way better than Hobbs. Hobbs just came in because of injuries.

I would LOVE to cut Hobbs. You don't know how much I (and YOU!!!!) should hate him.:mad:

There's some absolute insanity on this thread.

Why has Hobbs become the Pats stray pet? Everyone says Bodden isn't that great but he is way better than Hobbs. Hobbs just came in because of injuries.

I would LOVE to cut Hobbs. You don't know how much I (and YOU!!!!) should hate him.:mad:

Fried_egg__sunny_side_up.jpg

Im going to stick up for Hobbs hear, he lays it on the line every week for the Pats. Thats all I could ask of a player. Yes, hes not a number one corner, but he is a good two and an amazing three.

If BB was 100% sure about Wheatley and Wilhite being adequate NFL

cornerbacks, he wouldn't have signed Bodden and Springs.

Yes, he would. Bodden signed for league minimum, and I'm sure Springs deal is structured so they can cut him after one year.

It took Asante 3 years to be a good starter. Expect the same from Wheatley and Wilhite. Even if one of them was Ty Law, we'd still have signed Springs and Bodden for cheap money.

You put your best playmaker in that position.

The guy who you put in that position becomes your best playmaker. The player doesn't make the position, the position makes the player.

Great job signing Bodden and Springs, we had some real depth problems last year and we are well on our way to fixing them this offseason.

I never would have imagined that we'd get Bodden for this cheap, considering what CB's have been making. Only wish it had been a multi year deal which would have made it easier to let Hobbs go after the season had Bodden done well for us... I have a feeling Hobbs is going to get paid next offseason and a multi year deal would still leave us Springs-Bodden with Wheatley/Wilhite waiting in the wings. Now if Bodden does develop into starter material for us will also be tough to retain him. Still I think we are in fair shape at CB now, loving this offseason so far hope these guys pan out.

Last edited:

There's some absolute insanity on this thread.

I admit that I am very optimistic about this signing just because he was very good in a similiar defense in Cleveland, but I do admit that this could turn into a Victor Hobson type of situation where everyone is estatic about signing the guy and he doesn't even make it through the final cuts.

I think the Pats were high enough on Bodden that it makes it unlikely. The one year deal may be as much Bodden's choice as the Pats. He does stand to make a lot of money if he rehabs his career this year and is an UFA in an uncapped year next year. More than he could make this year with a multiyear deal after an unremarkable season in Detriot.

I think Bodden has the potential to be a solid starter or even a stud, but he does have a chance to be on another team's roster in the 2009 season too. I think he has a better chance of the former than the latter, but I have been wrong before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes