PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot Whispers from Profootballweekly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats 11-0

"QUICK EVERYBODY!!! WE NEED EXCUSES FAST!!!"

Please tell me why I am seeing Maroney get met in the back field this year more than Dillon was in '04? And a lot of the time, it is before Maroney starts 'dancing'.

LOL! So Maroney's YPC would be 5.5 plus(even though his long run is only 19) if he wasn't getting hit in the backfield so much??????? LOL! Bro, your boy isn't getting hit in the backfield any more or less than Dillon was. The difference is Dillon hit the holes harder and pushed defenders back for an extra yard or two a lot, which is something that your boy Maroney just hasn't shown he can do consistently. Wow, you guys are incredible. Absolutely incredible. Reminds me of all the excuses the Drew Bozo fan club used to come up with to excuse his pathetic play game after game, season after season. He didn't have the "weapons", he had a new coordinator every 2 years, Pete Carrol sucked, yada, yada, yada.:rolleyes:

I have to agree that the maroney-bashing is getting tiresome. I haven't been impressed this season either, but I'm not about to say he's completely useless and give up on him. I think he can make a valuable contribution when he's sharing carries with a workhorse back like dillon or morris, he's just not cut out to handle the entire load himself.

regardless, I don't see the point in sitting here all day and complaining about how terrible he is. and telling people they're "making excuses" because they don't agree with you.

I dont get it.
These 'whispers' are some guys guesses from drawing conclusions from outside.
There is no POSSIBLE WAY that the comments about 'how they fit in' or their toughness, or needing to gain weight, or concern about giving carries, or anything like that comes out of anyone in Foxboro. ZERO CHANCE.

As far as the players and the criticism of them here:

Is it a good thing that Meriwhether has not earned more playing time? No.
Is it a disaster? No.

It is VERY common for rookies to be in the position Meriwhether is in. If he were on a crappy team, he would be starting. Because he is on a great team, it is harder to get on the field. Sure Baker has played ahead of him, and that could be a concern. But, if we were a mediocre team, Meriwether would be playing a lot, and we would be willing to take the lumps of him learning on the job. Since we are a great team trying to win a Championship, it is reasonable to rely on a lesser talented, more experienced guy more than a rookie.
When you are mediocre it is more important to allow the more talented youngster to make mistakes while learning. When you fighting for championships, you may be better with a steadier, less talented vet in a supporting reserve role.
This is ABSOLUTELY a factor in playing time for all of our younger players.
A) There are better players in front of them
B) There is more to lose from rookie mistakes, or more realistically the RISK of rookie mistakes.

What does that add up to. A FACT.
The "I think rookies should be immediate stars" crowd will be disappointed in our rookies as long as we are a great team. They will love our rookies when we stink.

Ty Warren would have been a 'bust' as a rookie in most peoples eyes if Ted Washington didnt get injured.
Vince Wilfork split time with Keith freaking Traylor and many fans thought we were doomed when we cut that fat load.
Asante Samuel struggled to get on the field as a rookie, clearly stuck behind Ty Poole.
Maroney was a backup as a rookie behind an aging and slow Corey Dillon. Because Dillon was better? Um, no, because he'd still be here if that were the case. But because he was a rookie and wasn't NEEDED as much as if we had no veteran option.
Chad Jackson was behind veteran players. Because he stunk? No. becasue he was a rookie.

As far as Maroney, I dont get the criticsm.
Would you be happier if our passing game wasnt killing every team we played, and we needed to run more? Would you be happier if we didn't have Kevin Faulk, so we were forced to use a 2nd year player from a run only college program in the passing game? Is Maroney inept in the passing game? I doubt it. Is Faulk EXCELLENT in the passing game, and a reliable vet? yes. So we dont HAVE TO play Maroney as much. Is that a knock on Maroney? ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Would it be better if Maroney never was injured in his career, instead of having 2 separate injuries that are in no way chronic? Sure. But it has absolutely zero impact on the rest of his career.

I guess it goes back to the old saying "Some people would complain if you hung them with a brand new rope" OUR SUCCESS and talent creates the fact that there are so many great players our young guys will not have the opportunities that other teams young guys do. That doesnt make them worse, that makes the Patriots better.
To anyone posting on this thread that feels there is any credibility to these "whispers," read AJ's post quoted above. It summarizes the reality of the situation very clearly and accurately. Nothing more need be written. It's unbelievable that this thread went for so many pages about a sports media outlet attempting to get readers and hits. "Whispers" enables PFW to write anything they want without credible sources or having to prove the accuracy of the piece, and that's exactly what they've done.

Dude, whatever. What does it matter. You'll never Maroney any credit anyway. When he ran right through Buffalo for the 6 yard TD you said any one could run through that big ass hole. How about that run he had right up the middle against the Eagles to put the Pats on top? Were you happy? We have 40 tds from the passing game alone. When the Pats need to call on the running game consistently, they will do so.

Reminds me of all the excuses the Drew Bozo fan club used to come up with to excuse his pathetic play game after game, season after season. He didn't have the "weapons", he had a new coordinator every 2 years, Pete Carrol sucked, yada, yada, yada.

well,now...you can just STOP casting aspersions on us here at Patsfans.com...uh, and do it NOW. You have ZERO idea what was said at THIS site when Bledsoe was QB. And I can tell you STRAIGHT UP that YOU are fullof crap if you think THIS site was a Bledsoe shrine. I can tell you it was MadStork and I that first used "deer-in-the-headlights" as a Bledsoe tag ..from back at the old NEPATS site...and Ian's Patriotfans.com was THE bastion of critical Patriot fan thinking back then, if not so much today.

I'm betting you have NO IDEA what "4 and 6" means. I'm betting you have no clue that a number of us old posters here had PRESS PASSES for Patriot preseason practices at Bryant, and I'm positive YOU had nothing to do with the emergence of nicks like Drewpy, Bedsore, Bledslow,Dedlow etc etc that were used HERE to describe our ANGST with the apparent faults of our starting QB.

You swung...you missed...maybe you should sit this one out,Mr. National Past-Your-Bedtime

I have to agree that the maroney-bashing is getting tiresome. I haven't been impressed this season either, but I'm not about to say he's completely useless and give up on him. I think he can make a valuable contribution when he's sharing carries with a workhorse back like dillon or morris, he's just not cut out to handle the entire load himself.

regardless, I don't see the point in sitting here all day and complaining about how terrible he is. and telling people they're "making excuses" because they don't agree with you.

How is Morris a workhorse back? When they were playing together Maroney was getting more carries and had a higher average. At what point while going on IR did Sammy Morris become Jim Brown?

How is Morris a workhorse back? When they were playing together Maroney was getting more carries and had a higher average. At what point while going on IR did Sammy Morris become Jim Brown?

perhaps workhorse was the wrong word. I was referring more to his running style than the number of carries.

If Maroney is so bad, why give him the goal-line carry to beat the Eagles?
Why not give it to a "real" power back like Eckel or Evans?

We all saw Lomo getting more carries for more yards then Morris. Then, we all saw him get the groin injury and how Morris comes in has 2 100 yard game against 2 pitiful run defenses(after Maroney's 100 yard performance against the Bills) and suddenly, Morris has beat out Maroney for the starting job?
The game plan affects the game play. Against Washington, how much did we run and throw the short stuff vs the long bombs to combat that secondary?

I'll belive Maroney is on his way out, when BB pushes him out the door himself.

"Merriweather can't get in the starting line-up. Randall Gay and Samuel got in their rookie seasons."

DUH! everyone above them was HURT!!

BDD_panic_button.jpg

Last edited:
Reminds me of all the excuses the Drew Bozo fan club used to come up with to excuse his pathetic play game after game, season after season. He didn't have the "weapons", he had a new coordinator every 2 years, Pete Carrol sucked, yada, yada, yada.

well,now...you can just STOP casting aspersions on us here at Patsfans.com...uh, and do it NOW. You have ZERO idea what was said at THIS site when Bledsoe was QB. And I can tell you STRAIGHT UP that YOU are fullof crap if you think THIS site was a Bledsoe shrine. I can tell you it was MadStork and I that first used "deer-in-the-headlights" as a Bledsoe tag ..from back at the old NEPATS site...and Ian's Patriotfans.com was THE bastion of critical Patriot fan thinking back then, if not so much today.

I'm betting you have NO IDEA what "4 and 6" means. I'm betting you have no clue that a number of us old posters here had PRESS PASSES for Patriot preseason practices at Bryant, and I'm positive YOU had nothing to do with the emergence of nicks like Drewpy, Bedsore, Bledslow,Dedlow etc etc that were used HERE to describe our ANGST with the apparent faults of our starting QB.

You swung...you missed...maybe you should sit this one out,Mr. National Past-Your-Bedtime

LOL! Wow, once again you fail to read my posts clearly. Where the hell did I ever say THIS SITE made excuses for Drew Bozo??? I said the Drew Bozo fanclub made excuses for his sorry arse play. If you took that personal, my friend, than maybe you were a card carrying member of that club, lol! Good lord, lighten up will ya. You take this stuff waaaaaaaay too serious my friend. Good lord!!!!!!!!!:D

The YPC stat is the only thing you Maroney supporters have to hang your hat on. You know what? Kevin Faulk has the same 4.4 YPC stat as Maroney and Sammy Morris had a 4.5. I think EVERYONE here would admit that Faulk and Morris are NOT great runners, yet we are suppossed to believe Maroney is because he has a 4.4 YPC???????? Puhleaze. The guy doesn't get the ball more for the same reason Kevin Faulk and his 4.4 YPC doesn't get it more. It's because neither one are capable of carrying the rock more than 12-15 times a game and maintaining that production. Give it up fellas. The guy is what he is. AN AVERAGE RUNNING BACK WITH NO HOME RUN ABILITY AND NO RECEIVING ABILITY. He is ordinary, run-of-the-mill, dime a dozen.

Last edited:
The YPC stat is the only thing you Maroney supporters have to hang your hat on. You know what? Kevin Faulk has the same 4.4 YPC stat as Maroney and Sammy Morris had a 4.5. I think EVERYONE here would admit that Faulk and Morris are NOT great runners, yet we are suppossed to believe Maroney is because he has a 4.4 YPC???????? Puhleaze. The guy doesn't get the ball more for the same reason Kevin Faulk and his 4.4 YPC doesn't get it more. It's because neither one are capable of carrying the rock more than 12-15 times a game and maintaining that production. Give it up fellas. The guy is what he is. AN AVERAGE RUNNING BACK WITH NO HOME RUN ABILITY AND NO RECEIVING ABILITY. He is ordinary, run-of-the-mill, dime a dozen.

This says it all. Faulk and Morris have the same ypc. The passing game did it. Maroney is a injury proned average running back.

He is not a bust , but hardly worth his first round tag.

Last edited:
This says it all. Faulk and Morris have the same ypc. The passing game did it. Maroney is a injury proned average running back.

He is not a bust , but hardly worth his first round tag.

No no no, we are just keeping him nice and rested so we can unleash him when we need him!:rolleyes: I just want to know when it is OK to officially label this kid a DISSAPOINTMENT and a wasted 1st Rd pick in the eyes of the LoMo fan club. How long do we keep blaming the coaching staff, the gameplan, and the inneffective run blocking by the o-line before we finally all say that it is LoMo's fault? I mean, even Drew Bozo didn't have this many excuses made for him. And that is saying something!!!! LoMo is like the 20 point scorer on the 15-67 crap basketball team. Somebody has to score the points!!! Guess what? With this passing attack, SOMEBODY has to get a 4.4 YPC!! For cris sakes, even Kevin Faulk has a 4.4 YPC on this team. I love Kevin Faulk, but come on people. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
:rolleyes:
You two having fun?
More and more, I'm convinced you're the same person.
The two of you have once again made yet ANOTHER "Maroney SUCKS!" thread. Does anyone else see this? If Maroney is in it, these two show up and spam the thread over and over and over with the same thing they've already said in several other threads.
How many at this point? This make it the 3rd, or the 4th?

Last edited:
:rolleyes:
You two having fun?
More and more, I'm convinced you're the same person.

No we are discussing someting. We have every right to do so.

Further more , why does Kevin Faulk have the same ypc average as Maroney? Why did Sammy Morris?

If Maroney is so good , why is his average the same as a third down back and a former back up.

He was a highly coveted first rounder.

If Maroney is so bad why would Bellichick put him in on a goal-line situation to win the game? :rolleyes:

No we are discussing someting. We have every right to do so.

Further more , why does Kevin Faulk have the same ypc average as Maroney? Why did Sammy Morris?

If Maroney is so good , why is his average the same as a third down back and a former back up.

He was a highly coveted first rounder.

Why did Maroney get the goal-line carry against the Eagles?
Why make yet another thread to push your agenda?
Why not resurrect you pitiful "glass" thread.
Why spam with the same crap you spew every time?
Why is YPC suddenly important? You've been saying it doesn't matter, NOW it suddenly does because it helps you "arguement."
How high was the run defense of the Eagles ranked?
Did you EVER look at that Reiss piece that talked about the running game at Buffalo?
Can you respond and leave my personal life out of at the same time?
Can you do it without reporting me?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
No no no, we are just keeping him nice and rested so we can unleash him when we need him!:rolleyes: I just want to know when it is OK to officially label this kid a DISSAPOINTMENT and a wasted 1st Rd pick in the eyes of the LoMo fan club. How long do we keep blaming the coaching staff, the gameplan, and the inneffective run blocking by the o-line before we finally all say that it is LoMo's fault? I mean, even Drew Bozo didn't have this many excuses made for him. And that is saying something!!!! LoMo is like the 20 point scorer on the 15-67 crap basketball team. Somebody has to score the points!!! Guess what? With this passing attack, SOMEBODY has to get a 4.4 YPC!! For cris sakes, even Kevin Faulk has a 4.4 YPC on this team. I love Kevin Faulk, but come on people. :rolleyes:

Maroney needs to live up to his first round tag. Plain and simple. We are at week 12 of year two , including three extra games in the playoffs last year.

Why did Maroney get the goal-line carry against the Eagles?
Why make yet another thread to push your agenda?
Why not resurrect you pitiful "glass" thread.
Why spam with the same crap you spew every time?
Why is YPC suddenly important? You've been saying it doesn't matter, NOW it suddenly does because it helps you "arguement."
How high was the run defense of the Eagles ranked?
Did you EVER look at that Reiss piece that talked about the running game at Buffalo?
Can you respond and leave my personal life out of at the same time?
Can you do it without reporting me?:rolleyes:

Maroney got the ball on the goal because he is our number one back. Morris is hurt. The coaching staff has to try to get this kid to do something.

My glass thread is not pitiful at all. So far it has been right. Maroney has been hurt far to much , come out of several games early. Has crappy reception numbers , no big games, no big runs and three td's in the most powerful O ever. His ypc avg is matched by a third down back and a backup. Why should I be impressed?

I am not spamming I am discussing something in the proper thread.

Ypc does not mean much. But most of you hang your hat on it , so why not question why a third down back and a former back up have the same ypc as our "star"

Reiss does not make my opinon for me, I do.

I report you when you insult me for my opinion , those are the rules I have to live by , so dont you.

Last edited:
Maroney got the ball on the goal because he is our numbe one back.

Wait a sec...I thought he was glass that Bill B. didn't trust? The diapers in his locker said it all, didn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes