PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot Whispers from Profootballweekly

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're comfortable running this guy up the middle int he NFL then ok. At 6-2, 205, he's slighter than Maroney. The reason why Arkansas is succesful running this guy up the middle is because he is an exceptional finesse runner who can dodge arm tackles in college.

If you're comfortable running this guy up the middle int he NFL then ok. At 6-2, 205, he's slighter than Maroney. The reason why Arkansas is succesful running this guy up the middle is because he is an exceptional finesse runner who can dodge arm tackles in college.

Yes of course, your opinion clearly outweighs 6 different independant sources that all say McFadden can get the short yardage inside the tackles as well as break off the large gains. Sure. :rolleyes: Thanks Mel Kiper Jr.

The Cowboys Scouting department must be pretty stupid to be targetting McFadden right? Obviously they want a one-dimensional "finesse" or "speed only" back, that's why they'd consider trading TWO 1st round picks for him? Come on, get real dude. At this point you're spinning so hard you sound like Aquaboy trying to convince us that the Dolphins drafting a Kick Returner with the #9 overall pick was a great decision!

Last edited:
yeah right, danny....just use the search function....YOU post in other threads...HE'S insane about this Maroney thing...it is what it is

Buddy, why don't you read my posts. I have said numerous times Tom Brady deserves the MVP hands down and that he is the greatest QB ever(my opinion), that our o-line is the best in the league, that Asante Samuel is a flat out STUD, that Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Donte Stallworth can be a great unit for years to come, yada, yada, yada. I'm sorry if you have a problem with the fact that I don't bake cookies for all these guys and wash their draws. When I see players, coaches, or anyone else that is NOT doing their job, than I will point it out. Also, sorry, but I really have no desire to waste my time in the on-going gameday thread. I'm a HUGE Celtics fan and I was watching that game until 3PM before I turned my TV over to watch the Colts-Jaguars game. My life doesn't revolve around the in-game thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes of course, your opinion clearly outweighs 6 different independant sources that all say McFadden can get the short yardage inside the tackles as well as break off the large gains. Sure. :) Thanks Mel Kiper Jr.

The Cowboys Scouting department must be pretty stupid to be targetting McFadden right? Obviously they want a one-dimensional "finesse" or "speed only" back, that's why they'd consider trading TWO 1st round picks for him? Come on, get real dude. At this point you're spinning so hard you sound like Aquaboy trying to convince us that the Dolphins drafting a Kick Returner with the #9 overall pick was a great decision!

He's shown all that stuff in college and that does not directly translate to success in the NFL (much less a two hundred yard game within his first eight as a pro). How many times have teams coveted a player (even trade up for that player) to only get a bust?
Despite how you may feel about McFadden, there is no arguing the fact that the competition he plays against now is nowhere near what it will be in the NFL. He'll have to gain at least fifteen pounds if he's expected to shoulder the load and he'll probably lose some speed because of it. That running game for ArKansas dominated LSU no matter who was in, so don't point to that game (where McFadden also played a ton of snaps out of the Wishbone) as his crowning achievement. It's easy to look like a "power back who runs between the tackles" when there is a gigantic hole right in front of you.

He's shown all that stuff in college and that does not directly translate to success in the NFL (much less a two hundred yard game within his first eight as a pro). How many times have teams coveted a player (even trade up for that player) to only get a bust?
Despite how you may feel about McFadden, there is no arguing the fact that the competition he plays against now is nowhere near what it will be in the NFL. He'll have to gain at least fifteen pounds if he's expected to shoulder the load and he'll probably lose some speed because of it. That running game for ArKansas dominated LSU no matter who was in, so don't point to that game (where McFadden also played a ton of snaps out of the Wishbone) as his crowning achievement. It's easy to look like a "power back who runs between the tackles" when there is a gigantic hole right in front of you.

What you want to take away his 200 yard game against the then #1 ranked team in the nation? How about his 300 yard game against SC then? Arkansas obviously has a very good running game and the OL is a part of that.

But the fact still remains that McFadden was running the football at a very high level, and he was running it inside as well as outside. It may be difficult to project college level to the pros, thats what scouts are for. But I know what I saw with my own eyes and imo McFadden will be a bonafide stud. You're welcome to have a different opinion, but I have plenty of evidence to back my position as well.

What you want to take away his 200 yard game against the then #1 ranked team in the nation? How about his 300 yard game against SC then? Arkansas obviously has a very good running game and the OL is a part of that.

But the fact still remains that McFadden was running the football at a very high level, and he was running it inside as well as outside. It may be difficult to project college level to the pros, thats what scouts are for. But I know what I saw with my own eyes and imo McFadden will be a bonafide stud. You're welcome to have a different opinion, but I have plenty of evidence to back my position as well.

You display your clairvoyance yet again! Bravo! I saw it with my own eyes so it will come true!

He was running it inside with a big ass hole and AVOIDING TACKLERS. That is not what you want out of a power runner. There's something you have to understand. Fast backs in college look sick because they can out run ANYONE in the game including the number 1 and 2 teams. In the pros, everyone is fast and can neutralize speed. There's is no guarantee that he will domiante right out of the gates in the pros.

Last edited:
You display your clairvoyance yet again! Bravo! I saw it with my own eyes so it will come true!

He was running it inside with a big ass hole and AVOIDING TACKLERS. That is not what you want out of a power runner.

Not trying to be a smart arse, but what does Maroney actually do that you want out of a power runner? At least McFadden, in my opinion, hits the hole hard and doesn't hesitate for a split second almost every friggen time like Maroney. I agree McFadden is more of an outside runner than inside, but that doesn't mean he will be a sour **** like Maroney and REFUSE to change his style. McFadden has the ability and size to run inside and hopefully, unlike Maroney, has the ability to listen to coaches and do what they want him to do. McFadden will be a STUD.

Not trying to be a smart arse, but what does Maroney actually do that you want out of a power runner? At least McFadden, in my opinion, hits the hole hard and doesn't hesitate for a split second almost every friggen time like Maroney. I agree McFadden is more of an outside runner than inside, but that doesn't mean he will be a sour **** like Maroney and REFUSE to change his style. McFadden has the ability and size to run inside and hopefully, unlike Maroney, has the ability to listen to coaches and do what they want him to do. McFadden will be a STUD.

I never argued Maroney was a power runner. I said he was a speed threat who should be used differently. My point about McFadden is he is not the answer if the Patriots are looking for a power back.

FWIW, last year I got upset when I saw the playcalling running Maroney up the middle 99% of the time. This year, he almost never gets the ball.

He weighs 205 lbs. How is that the "ability and size" to run inside. Maroney is bigger than McFadden. Don't tout size as a plus for McFadden. Yeah, he's tall, but he's also lanky and will most definitely have to bulk up in the NFL, which will hamper the biggest part of his game.

First of all, this thread has been getting a lot of attention. Second, while Mcfadden has great stats for a college player, I'm not sure it will translate into the pros. For example, Arkansas offense relys a lot on misdirection and trick plays involving Mcfadden. Very rarely does Arkansas line up and run it straight at you between the tackles. With that said, i'm not sure you can depend on Mcfadden to run it between the tackles on a regular basis. There is no comparison between him and Adrian Peterson. In fact, Peterson is the best back in the NFL.

So for everyone that thinks the Pats should take Mcfadden, I wouldn't. I would try to trade down as much as possible and take a stud LB or S. I would rather have the Pats use their money on Samuel, Moss and Stallworth than investing money into an unproven rookie. RB's like Adrian Peterson and LT don't come around very often.

Maroney is fine, he will not be a bust.

Last edited:
Buddy, why don't you read my posts. I have said numerous times Tom Brady deserves the MVP hands down and that he is the greatest QB ever(my opinion), that our o-line is the best in the league, that Asante Samuel is a flat out STUD, that Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Donte Stallworth can be a great unit for years to come, yada, yada, yada. I'm sorry if you have a problem with the fact that I don't bake cookies for all these guys and wash their draws. When I see players, coaches, or anyone else that is NOT doing their job, than I will point it out. Also, sorry, but I really have no desire to waste my time in the on-going gameday thread. I'm a HUGE Celtics fan and I was watching that game until 3PM before I turned my TV over to watch the Colts-Jaguars game. My life doesn't revolve around the in-game thread. :rolleyes:

I said there were a number of threads active, not just the in game thread...nice spin...and yet here you are again...once again BASHING Maroney in this thread...all kinds of game actionb going on...all kinds of discussion threads active here...and yet YOU persist...

"I was watching the Celtics and then I got up and came here to bash Maroney! what's wrong with that?"
that's the whole point...you've MADE your point going on a THOUSAND times...we GET IT!!! You hate Maroney....all other NFL football related topics are of no concern to you...great...let us KNOW when you post one of these so-called "I praise the Patriots plenty" posts...I'd like to see them

I said there were a number of threads active, not just the in game thread...nice spin...and yet here you are again...once again BASHING Maroney in this thread...all kinds of game actionb going on...all kinds of discussion threads active here...and yet YOU persist...

"I was watching the Celtics and then I got up and came here to bash Maroney! what's wrong with that?"
that's the whole point...you've MADE your point going on a THOUSAND times...we GET IT!!! You hate Maroney....all other NFL football related topics are of no concern to you...great...let us KNOW when you post one of these so-called "I praise the Patriots plenty" posts...I'd like to see them

Again, you read and see what you want to read and see. The difference between guys like me(realists) and guys that wave the pom poms relentlessly(homers) is that guys like me don't pour sugar and spice over everything that's not upto snuff. Sorry, but that's the beauty of Boston, New York, and east coast sports fans. Our entire fan base isn't full of homers like the San Diego Chargers and other yahoo franchises.

Last edited:
difference between guys like me(realists)

Are you a realist, or a guy who has no patience for young players?

Tell me, do you think ALL first round ROOKIES should come in and set the world a fire just because they are first rounders?

look...obviously you're TOO OBTUSE toi get it through your THICK SKULL...it has NOTHING to do with "objective", "homers","realists" or any other bullcrap you're trying to push...it's about YOU...non-stop every day,bashing Maroney incessantly...hundreds upon hundreds of posts...WE GET IT!!!!...see if you can spend ONE day on this board without making a Maroney reference...just one

Are you a realist, or a guy who has no patience for young players?

Tell me, do you think ALL first round ROOKIES should come in and set the world a fire just because they are first rounders?

Again, why do you go overboard with everything I say? Who the hell is asking these guys to light the league on fire? For cris sakes, I just want my 1st rd defensive back to beat out Rashad Baker and Eddie friggen Jackson on the depth chart in week #12 of the season! Is that too much to ask????? Good lord. Is it too much to ask the #21 player drafted in the entire draft to show the coaches that he DESERVES to be on the field in the first half in week #12 of his 2nd season? Is it too much to ask for the #36 player drafted(Chad Jackson) to produce at least ONE CATCH by week #12 of his 2nd season? Wow, I guess I am asking for too much from these poor guys.:rolleyes:

Again, why do you go overboard with everything I say? Who the hell is asking these guys to light the league on fire? For cris sakes, I just want my 1st rd defensive back to beat out Rashad Baker and Eddie friggen Jackson on the depth chart in week #12 of the season! Is that too much to ask????? Good lord. Is it too much to ask the #21 player drafted in the entire draft to show the coaches that he DESERVES to be on the field in the first half in week #12 of his 2nd season? Is it too much to ask for the #36 player drafted(Chad Jackson) to produce at least ONE CATCH by week #12 of his 2nd season? Wow, I guess I am asking for too much from these poor guys.:rolleyes:

First of all, it's not Chad's fault he got two serious injuries is now recovering from it. He was earning his stripes on special teams before he went down last year.

Secondly, tell me if you see the following correlation:

Josh McDaniels (O-coordinator) - loves to pass from the gun; loves to send any and every back up the middle exclusively
NE's offense - historic passing offense
Tom Brady (Quarterback) - 40 all purpose TDs
Laurence Maroney (runningback) - gets very few carries a game, thus affecting his stats negatively
NE's offensive line - problems with run blocking

3rdly

Brandon is still learning the intricacies of defensive back. If Bellichick doesn't think he is ready then he will not put on the field.

Last edited:
our OL is not the best. i think Cowboys have a better 1 but were top 3. Our run blocking is not good..we pass block, pick up blitzes well most of the time but run blocking is different story

Some thoughts on these whispers...

1) I have a feeling this may come close to the mark re: Meriweather.

2) IMO the reason Faulk plays in 4 WR sets has nothing to do with his "quickness" and everything to do with his pass protection, excellent hands and experience. The notes about Maroney's "toughness" and future as a 20 carry back IMO are passing observations from non-Patriot sources with no inside knowledge, along the lines of what many fans have been speculating. I do not agree with them. IMO Maroney will become an excellent 20+ carry back.

3) The Samuel whisper sounds more like outsider guesswork about what the Pats may do. I don't agree with them either. IMO the Pats will let Samuel go.

Ha, so their wispers are likely true wispers where they suite your cause (you didn't like Meriweather during the draft), but their wispers are likely outsider guessing when they concern beliefs you don't hold? Nice!

First of all, it's not Chad's fault he got two serious injuries is now recovering from it. He was earning his stripes on special teams before he went down last year.

Secondly, tell me if you see the following correlation:

Josh McDaniels (O-coordinator) - loves to pass from the gun; loves to send any and every back up the middle exclusively
NE's offense - historic passing offense
Tom Brady (Quarterback) - 40 all purpose TDs
Laurence Maroney (runningback) - gets very few carries a game, thus affecting his stats negatively
NE's offensive line - problems with run blocking

3rdly

Brandon is still learning the intricacies of defensive back. If Bellichick doesn't think he is ready then he will not put on the field.

LOL! Corey Dillon says hello from 2004. So our o-line is worse at doing their job than Maroney is at doing his? Bro, our o-line is not the problem. If they had a true STUD to block for, than you would see that. Unreal. The excuses just never end, LOL!

Please tell me why I am seeing Maroney get met in the back field this year more than Dillon was in '04? And a lot of the time, it is before Maroney starts 'dancing'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back