PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Outside Linebacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is completely wrong. Murrell went down with heat-related cramps. He is fine now.
Yeah, the "blown out of proportion" part of the column title ironically turned out to be very correct. Less than an hour later Rapoport followed with this entry:

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Patriots OLB Marques Murrell’s injury not believed to be serious

It looked a little scary for Patriots outside linebacker Marques Murrell today. One minute he was lining up with the first-team unit on the edge. The next moment, trainers were rushing to get him ice.

Then, he was whisked away on a golf cart. Yikes.

Turns out, Murrell’s ailment is related to cramps he was suffering from during the sweltering workout, I’m told. He was treated for some issues related to the 88-degree heat index, but the injuries are not believed to be serious.

Will Murrell practice tomorrow? It’s not clear. But it seems he’ll be OK. Depth at OLB is still an issue, but not related to his health.

Unbelievably, a heckler got on Murrell in very public fashion today while he was kneeling down and feeling tired. The “fan” asked if Murrell needed a chair and if he should eat an ice pop. Finally, a security guard made him shut up.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Marques Murrell Open Eyes in Patriots' Preseason Win Over Saints - New England Patriots - NESN.com

In the absence of rookie outside linebacker Jermaine Cunningham, who didn’t dress for unknown reasons, Marques Murrellgot the start and had a third-down sack to end the Saints' first offensive possession. Murrell finished with two defensive tackles and one stop on special teams. The Patriots are thin at outside linebacker, and Murrell looks to be right on that cut line.

Mike Reiss of espnBoston says Eyes On Rookie OLB Cunningham

The Patriots' preseason opener is expected to be a good chance to evaluate rookie linebackers Brandon Spikes (second round, 62nd overall) and Jermaine Cunningham (second round, 53rd overall). Both are projected to see significant playing time.

But Cunningham was limited in Wednesday morning's practice after getting shaken up during a punt-return drill.

Cunningham was playing on the line of scrimmage and as he turned to race down the field to set up the team's blocking scheme, his feet seemed to get tangled up with a Saints player. Cunningham walked to the sideline under his own power and it looked like his ankle was being evaluated by trainer Jim Whalen.

It didn't appear to be anything major, although it will be something to monitor in terms of Cunningham's playing time Thursday night.

Anyone have further info on Cunninghams injury?

Don't know about Cunningham's injury ... in the interim, a somewhat ironic look back from 7/28:
It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 6)

28. Outside linebacker Derrick Burgess: Burgess started slowly, but came on toward the end of the season and played well down the stretch, finishing the year with five sacks. With Adalius Thomas no longer in the picture, the 6-foot-2, 255-pound Burgess and Tully Banta-Cain (and perhaps Jermaine Cunningham) will be counted on to bring pressure on opposing quarterbacks this season. With no Thomas in the picture, if he stays healthy, Burgess will get plenty of reps this summer.

Just to bump this with the note that Burgess is back in the fold. Should solidify the position somewhat til one of the youngsters rises up the ladder.

The final OLB pre-camp roster ranking by WEEI's Christopher Price:

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 7)

8. Outside linebacker Tully Banta-Cain: In his second incarnation with the Patriots, Banta-Cain went from nice situational player to becoming one of the MVP’s of the 2009 Patriots. Always considered an above-average pass rusher, Banta-Cain surprised just about everyone in 2009 with 10 sacks. (The performance ended up winning him a three-year, $13.5 million contract — not bad for a seventh-round pick.) New England made only relatively minor additions to the pass rush this past offseason, so Banta-Cain will likely be asked to replicate that performance in 2010.

Some comments from the media regarding the return of Burgess:

Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald asks if Derrick Burgess was there in body, but mind also?, speculating that his body language says he doesn't want to be in Foxboro.

Monique Walker of the Boston Globe says Burgess Missed Camp Due To 'Personal Situation'
"I just had a personal situation going on," Burgess said. "I had to take time to take care of, and me and Bill [talked] about it, and he just told me to take my time and get my stuff together."

Burgess is in his second season with the Patriots and entering the 10th NFL season of his career. The 32-year old said he was in contact with Belichick and he is committed to playing football.

"No reservations," Burgess said. "I'm happy to be here. I'm glad they allowed me to come back after taking care of my personal business."

Patriots LB Derrick Burgess Shoots Down Retirement Talk, Claims Personal Issues Kept Him Away by Ian Rapoport for the Boston Herald:
Linebacker Derrick Burgess, who met with the media following the second practice session, claimed he didn’t stay away from training camp because he was pondering retirement, as was reported.

His excuse for staying away for two weeks, while the team was going through two-a-days?

”I just had a personal situation going on,” Burgess answered. ”I had to take time to take care of, and me and Bill (Belichicktalked) about it, and he just told me to take my time and get my stuff together.”
burgess-face.jpg

Burgess would not identify the personal problem, only to say that it did not involve retirement, or him wanting to leave the game.

”It was basically some personal matters I had to take care of,” he said.
When asked if he had any reservations about being here, or playing football in general, Burgess claimed he didn’t. He was thrilled to be back in Foxboro.

”No reservations. I’m happy to be here,” he said. ”I’m glad they allowed me to come back after taking care of my personal business.”

Bottom line? Either you believe him, or you don’t. Basically, we are left to take him at his word.

Burgess Absence Was For Personal Issue by Mike Reiss and Mike Rodak for espnBoston:
“I’m happy to be here,” he said. “I’m glad they’re allowing me to come back after taking care of my personal business.”

Burgess reported that he felt “a little rusty” after Sunday afternoon’s full-pads practice, but that “it felt good to run into somebody.” He has stayed in shape at his home in Mississippi and doesn’t think it will take him long to return to form.

Asked if he’s fully committed to playing for the Patriots, he responded: “That’s what I’m here for. I’m fully committed.”

Asked if it was a relief to miss the bulk of double sessions, Burgess said he didn’t look at things that way.

“I had things on my mind and much to take care of,” he said. “It was a relief once I was done with it and I could come to camp.”

Before anybody breathes a sigh of relief, more news on the OLB unit:

That's a wrap: Sunday key storylines - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Tully Banta-Cain doesn't finish practice. The Patriots' leading sacker in 2009 was having his right ankle/foot looked at by members of the team's training staff toward the end of practice. Banta-Cain walked off the field under his own power, but his status will be something to monitor. Rookie Jermaine Cunningham, who plays the same position, also remains out of action after sustaining an undisclosed injury in Wednesday's practice.

Rusell Goldman contends that Tully Banta-Cain Gets No Respect
What I have found interesting is the lack of respect that Tully Banta-Cain seems to have received. On several media outlets I keep hearing criticism of his play and that his statistics are misleading. I disagree with this line of thinking in regards to the Patriots outside linebacker.

Banta-Cain had a year last season that is similar to other outside linebackers that have played the position in the Belichick era. He had 10 sacks and 55 tackles in 16 games. The criticism he gets is that half of his sacks were against the Buffalo Bills. Well, he also had some sacks against teams with very good offensive lines. He had two sacks in two games against the New York Jets and also had a sack against the Denver Broncos.

Be sure to check out the rest of the article here.

Last edited:
Patriots Roster Prediction #31: OLB/DE Jermaine Cunningham by Richard Hill for Pats Pulpit (prior to the return of Burgess):

Predicted Role: Cunningham has to learn a whole new position, switching from DE to OLB. With Burgess contemplating retirement and Shawn Crable being released, the need for Cunningham's development has grown. He should split time with Rob Ninkovich at the LOLB position and should emerge as the starter as the season develops. He'll fill a Willie McGinest type of role on the defense, with his ability to put his hand on the field and pitch in on the 4-3 defensive sets. Cunningham will emerge as a solid player, but won't be a huge game changer as a rookie.

Predicted Season Numbers: 14 Games Started, 16 Games Played, 45 Tackles, 6 Sacks, 1 Forced Fumble

Predicted Depth Chart: #1 LOLB

Summary: Cunningham needs to learn his position as soon as possible, due to how thin the Patriots defense is at outside linebacker. Cunningham's high effort will assist in his learning of the defensive system and he should be a solid player for the whole season. Cunningham should replace the hole that Burgess left open- but there remains a need for depth.

Return of the Son of Body Language.:rolleyes:

[Goo Goo Guregian]

Patriots' Murrell emerges as strong OLB candidate by Eric Edholm for Pro Football Weekly:

With a few guys banged up or disappointing to date, Marques Murrell — whose signing barely caused a ripple this offseason — has emerged as a real candidate to not only make the team but also earn some playing time. It must be said that it is far too early to project a pecking order yet, and we shouldn't get too excited about Murrell's sack of Saints QB Drew Brees in the preseason opener. But Murrell showed last season with the Jets that he has the ability to put heat on the quarterback, albeit in very limited snaps in 2009.

It's really discouraging as a fan to see OLB not really be addressed the way it needed to be. You play a base 3-4 defense and over the years your great defenses have consisted of guys like McGinest and Vrabel. I honestly don't know how you go into a season by only picking up 1 OLB (Cunningham) after the pass rush was abysmal last season. They did a better job at trying to fix the problems at RDE by bringing in guys like Warren and Lewis while having some young guys like Pryor, Brace, Richard, Deaderick who can battle and maybe turn into something decent.

But I think the OLB corps is pretty inexcusable. TBC, Woods, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Murrell, maybe Burgess. Subtract the hope Crable would pan out, probably Burgess, and Adalius, who while not a fan favorite, was still an experienced veteran who was decent when he was motivated to play. How is that an UPGRADE from last year?

I don't get how this team can have such a gaping whole at OLB yet only use one draft pick to "address" it. Hell, the Steelers have two guys who have made the Pro Bowl in the last two years in Harrison and Woodley, and they spent the same amount of resources on OLB as we did in the draft by taking Worilds in the 2nd round. I know Hernandez brings a nice dynamic to the offense but I would've rathered seen a guy like Sapp brought in in the 4th. I know Mesko is supposed to have a huge leg, and we definitely needed a punter upgrade from Hanson, but I would have rathered taken a shot on Greg Hardy in the 5th.

Hopefully we see a trade made to bring an impact player in at OLB because this team is going nowhere with the current personnel at the position. The slight hope is that BB isn't afraid to make a training camp trade like Ted Washington or Derrick Burgess to try to upgrade a hole right before the season. We seem pretty set in the secondary, ILB is looking better than it has in recent years, and the DL is 2/3 of the way there. OLB is still the only big hole on this defense.

QFT.

OLB for the NEP is all AFU.

Thanks, Bill.

The glass is mostly empty crowd, are still at it, in force!

If any other team were discussing its OLBs they would start with the resumes of its starters. Best is 10 sacks in a year for TBC; and 16 sacks in a a year for Derrick Burgess. Age 31 and 30, hardly antiques. Depth? Two above average JAGs who have started games for the Pats. Both experienced, and neither is a pure scrub. Plus a premium draft pick to develop.

Dispassionate grade assigned A-.

Jeff Howe from NESN ranks the OLBs in his current depth chart:

Outside Linebacker
1. Tully Banta-Cain: He's the starter on the right side, but the sides are still unclear down the depth chart
2. Marques Murrell: Come on strong in the last week on the left side
3. Jermaine Cunningham: Left side primarily. Tough to get a good read with limited contact at practice. Recent injury hasn’t helped, either
4. Derrick Burgess: He's got a ton of ground to make up
5. Rob Ninkovich: Good player and the official backup long snapper
6. Pierre Woods: Hasn’t made a lot of noise yet

Mike Reiss of espnBoston says Wilfork Goes To Bat For Burgess

"Most of all, he loves what he does. He loves this game," Wilfork said this morning after the team's joint practice with the Falcons. "He gives it his all out here. I’m happy he’s back out there. I’m happy he’s my teammate. He brings what we need to this team, a love for the game, and that’s what we need."

Asked to elaborate, Wilfork went on.

"If you can pick one guy out, aside from myself, that loves this game ... he’d definitely be one of them," he said. "He loves to step on this field and go to work.

"That’s another guy who had to make a transition to this defense. It was a work in progress for him last year. He’s back. And he’s stepping right in and he’s doing whatever he can to help this ball club. He’s a hell of a ballplayer. I’m happy he’s back with us. He’s happy he’s back with us. And he made it very clear that he’s happy he’s back with us. So we have no [hard feelings] for him. He’s family. That’s family. And we are ready to work. We’re just excited about the season."

Reiss takes a look at Cunningham, Banta-Cain & OLBs and who will see playing time against Atlanta:

Cunningham was injured last Wednesday in a joint practice with the Saints while playing on the punt return team. The actual injury, and the severity of it, is not known. Cunningham did walk off the field under his own power before being checked out by the team's training staff. The injury kept Cunningham out of the preseason opener against the Saints and has since cost him some valuable time on the field, where he had been off to a strong start in camp

With Cunningham out, and starter Tully Banta-Cain also not making the trip to Atlanta after he was banged up in Sunday afternoon's practice (trainers were looking at his right ankle), the Patriots are thin at outside linebacker.

Look for Derrick Burgess to get thrown right into the mix at that spot, with Marques Murrell once again getting a chance for extended playing time. Pierre Woods and Rob Ninkovich round out the depth chart, with Eric Alexander an emergency/depth option to help get through a preseason game

Mike Reiss' 8/17 mailbag - espnBoston

Q: Mike, I know it's early, but is Marques Murrell the real deal? I thought he was just filling in for Cunningham but he looked very good against the Saints starting O-line.

A: I think we'll see more of Murrell in a starting role at outside linebacker Thursday night, and perhaps that will tell us more. I know Murrell gets a lot of credit for that first-quarter sack, but I thought it was Tully Banta-Cain's inside pressure that really led to the sack. Murrell looks like he'll sneak onto the roster, but I'd like to see more of him before making the call.

Mike Reiss' 8/17 mailbag - espnBoston

Q: Mike, I know it's early, but is Marques Murrell the real deal? I thought he was just filling in for Cunningham but he looked very good against the Saints starting O-line.

A: I think we'll see more of Murrell in a starting role at outside linebacker Thursday night, and perhaps that will tell us more. I know Murrell gets a lot of credit for that first-quarter sack, but I thought it was Tully Banta-Cain's inside pressure that really led to the sack. Murrell looks like he'll sneak onto the roster, but I'd like to see more of him before making the call.

I agree that TBC forced Brees to step into Murrell. I will credit both players with the sack.

Jeff Howe from NESN ranks the OLBs in his current depth chart:

You can't be serious. Murrell is #2?

EDIT: since Ian touted this guy I'll change mty post.

He doesn't seriously consider Murrell one of the starters at OLB does he? What does he mean by "depth chart"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference