PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sidy Sow - Conflicting Opinions

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sidy Sow was moved to RT at training camp & we've heard to this point that he's struggled as he adjusts to a new position. Lazar & others have mentioned that he is behind McDermott & Reiff at RT. However, today he was receiving reps as the starting RT after the first preseason game against the texans:

PFF also had him with a good day in pass protection with 0 sacks, 0 hits & 1 hurry on 26 pass blocking snaps. He supposedly held up vs. Will Anderson:

Could this be someone who can improve significantly the remainder of training camp & challenge for a starting spot? He's someone worth keeping an eye on as joint practices begin IMO.

Sidy Sow was moved to RT at training camp & we've heard to this point that he's struggled as he adjusts to a new position. Lazar & others have mentioned that he is behind McDermott & Reiff at RT. However, today he was receiving reps as the starting RT after the first preseason game against the texans:

PFF also had him with a good day in pass protection with 0 sacks, 0 hits & 1 hurry on 26 pass blocking snaps. He supposedly held up vs. Will Anderson:

Could this be someone who can improve significantly the remainder of training camp & challenge for a starting spot? He's someone worth keeping an eye on as joint practices begin IMO.

What’s the over/under on PatsFans posters’ heads exploding if Sow does challenge for a starting slot?

if it’s anything less than a half dozen I’m betting the over.

What’s the over/under on PatsFans posters’ heads exploding if Sow does challenge for a starting slot?

if it’s anything less than a half dozen I’m betting the over.

Has to be about 19.5. Another case of PatsFans posters having no idea what they are looking at - rinse and repeat.

Absolutely classic, PatsFans posters saying that Sow has to move to guard and he is promoted at tackle the next day. CLASSIC.

IMO they want guys to get experience…practice is one of those ways. I don’t see it as a demotion for anyone but more of seeing what Sow can do and let him gain experience. Maybe they are comfortable with McDermott and now want to get more of a look at other players. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

In reviewing the first two series, Sow held his own vs Anderson in pass pro. The jailbreaks were all on the left side. I haven't yet reviewed McDermott et al on the left side, so I'm not sure what happened. But it's interesting that in today's practice Sow was with the #1's and McDermott demoted.

If they keep him, he needs as many reps as possible at OT in the next couple of week against NFL talent. They know what they have with Trent Brown, probably with Rieff and McDermott as well. As for Anderson I hope he is OK but don’t expect him to get on the field this season - very much hope I’m wrong there obviously.

I would expect, if they keep Sow on the roster at all, for him to be inactive for games except if they get a couple OT injuries or have a very run heavy game plan. The only way for him to be ready at all to play OT at the NFL level is to get him as much work now as possible.

The fact that Sow is above Steuber already, and that they’ve signed another OT prospect and worked out another, is a pretty good sign that Steuber is not making the cut - no surprise to many here when that pick was made last year. Him and Hines look like two swings and misses from last year. Hopefully with BOB and Klemm onboard they can greatly improve the success rate for OL picks.

They absolutely need to get their LT1 of the fut into the building by this tIme next year. Sidy Sow I hope works out to be a nice player for them but he ain’t that guy and neither is anyone else they have onboard now.

IMO they want guys to get experience…practice is one of those ways. I don’t see it as a demotion for anyone but more of seeing what Sow can do and let him gain experience. Maybe they are comfortable with McDermott and now want to get more of a look at other players. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Sow went up against Will Anderson 5 times and won all 5 reps. Will Anderson was the #3 pick in the draft and is supposed to be a generational talent.

Great players are most often developed. Rookies rarely arrive to the NFL ready to play, dominate or with nothing to learn.

If you listen to the Negative Nancys here and in the local media, you're to blame... not them

Last edited:
Sow went up against Will Anderson 5 times and won all 5 reps. Will Anderson was the #3 pick in the draft and is supposed to be a generational talent.
I have heard that

With the news Sow was starting at RT today in practice, I went back and watched the Texans game again, slowing it down play by play on offense.

There's a reason Sidy Sow is starting in practice today, he played a near flawless game Thursday night. He plowed people in the run game, and was a wall in pass protection.

Russey played really well also, until he got hurt. Mafi played well but made a couple mistakes, getting demoted today is a teachable moment.

McDermott was bad, so was Hines and Ferentz. I only watched the first half, but it only takes a couple of bad apples to spoil the bunch.

Has to be about 19.5. Another case of PatsFans posters having no idea what they are looking at - rinse and repeat.

Absolutely classic, PatsFans posters saying that Sow has to move to guard and he is promoted at tackle the next day. CLASSIC.

McDermott was worse, if possible, but he was playing on the left side.

Let's see what all this means. I know what I saw.

What I saw was Anderson blowing by Sow on one play. Just because it was a jailbreak doesn't mean Sow didn't get completely beat one on one.

I also saw the team providing him double team help where he was beaten, but two guys handled it.

Those are his victories. I stand behind my assessment.

Great players are most often developed. Rookies rarely arrive to the NFL ready to play, dominate or with nothing to learn.

If you listen to the Negative Nancys here and in the local media, you're to blame... not them
Which is why good coaching there is so vital. Hopefully we have it now with Yo Adrian.

And another reason Belichick really blew it last year putting Meathead there in addition to OC duties.

Truly coaches like Don Shula and Bill Parcells would not have been so daft.

What I saw was Anderson blowing by Sow on one play. Just because it was a jailbreak doesn't mean Sow didn't get completely beat one on one.

I also saw the team providing him double team help where he was beaten, but two guys handled it.

Sounds like everyone who watched the tape feels your impression of what you saw is wrong

Which is why good coaching there is so vital. Hopefully we have it now with Yo Adrian.

And another reason Belichick really blew it last year putting Meathead there in addition to OC duties.

Truly coaches like Don Shula and Bill Parcells would not have been so daft.
We don’t know the details of why.

If Kraft insisted BB have a succession plan and wanted Obie as his future head coach, then both men had to wait another year while Obie fulfilled his obligations at Alabama.

Kraft could have told BB to figure it out for a year and he would get all the time he needed to pass Shula on the all-time wins list regardless of what happened.

I’ve said this before, if Obie gets the job down the road, we can be pretty sure this is how it went down.

Game time of that play?

Sounds like everyone who watched the tape feels your impression of what you saw is wrong
It’s completely wrong, I just rewatched the game last night with the ability to pause, rewind and watch again.

Sow negated whoever was across from him. That’s why he was with the 1’s at practice yesterday. I recommend anyone who wants, go to youtube and watch it again and watch the right side of the line.

Russey and Sow were both very good, they certainly weren’t the problem.

Last edited:
We don’t know the details of why.

If Kraft insisted BB have a succession plan and wanted Obie as his future head coach, then both men had to wait another year while Obie fulfilled his obligations at Alabama.

Kraft could have told BB to figure it out for a year and he would get all the time he needed to pass Shula on the all-time wins list regardless of what happened.

I’ve said this before, if Obie gets the job down the road, we can be pretty sure this is how it went down.
I will always be surprised Bill didn't give the TE coach a try at OC before Patricia.

I will always be surprised Bill didn't give the TE coach a try at OC before Patricia.
Then he’d have to fire him the very next season when Obie was available. Patricia was a useful idiot.

Zappe got sacked because there was no pocket to step up into. Sow did what he was supposed to and pushed his man past the play. The Texans also overloaded the right side so Sidy was trying to block two men. Just because a Texan’s fan says something happened, doesn’t make it so.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back