PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sidy Sow - Conflicting Opinions

Allow me then to correct myself:

The sack itself wasn't the Sow's fault: the delayed blitz up the middle was the main culprit; that is inarguable, and that's how I should've stated it. Apologies for implying that it was.

However, the Sow absolutely Lost that rep to Anderson; that is Also inarguable, and that's how I should've stated that one.
Maybe, it's hard to say because the blitz kept Zappe from stepping up. Looked to me like Sow got a piece of Anderson and if so, it's quite likely Zappe would have successfully stepped up if not for the blitz.

I actually said I thought Sow was slow to get off of the DT to take on Anderson. Several folks here disputed that saying it was a 2:1 and he correctly went for the inside guy first in that case.

And again, whether we’re talking about the Texan’s game or the Packer’s game. A few negative nancy’s want to hyper focus on one individual snap and ignore the entire half where these young players played good if not great. Just silly…

Sidy Sow does not look like he has the feet to play tackle to me. Look at the difference between how he uses his feet and how Trent Brown uses his feet in these clips...

Brown outweighs Sow by 50 lbs and looks far more nimble by comparison. Sow's in-game agility is reminiscent of Yodny Cajuste.

He's transitioning and a first year player. Unreasonable to compare to Brown.

It's possible Reiff starts at RT if Onwenu is available and they want to squeeze every dime from his old body. It will depend of them going back and viewing the film from yesterday.

If Onwenu isn't available, maybe Reiff is at OG and Sow is still the RT. They may not want to play two rookies on the right side. But if they're going to play their best, biggest, most physical line and Onwenu isn't healthy they'll play Mafi and Sow on the right side.

People hemming and hawing about Sow giving up a speed to power sack yesterday seem to forget that Solder, Vollmer, Cannon and all who came before them weren't perfect as rookies. Trent Brown was considered a bust by San Francisco towards the tail end of his rookie contract, it's why they traded him to us. Scar and the Patriots revived his career and got him paid handsomely.

Rookies make mistakes, they learn and improve, this is how player development works. Sow and Mafi have what a lot of rookie OLinemen don't, gobs of size, athleticism and they already look good in their development... ahead of schedule. They look like they belong. Stueber, Hines... they've never showed that.

He's transitioning and a first year player. Unreasonable to compare to Brown.
If he should be compared to Brown, he is a great, great pick.

My opinion in mid August is being borne out in mid September. At least in the minds of many posters here. That is to say Belichick has been inattentive to the OL.

But Sidy Sow is clearly our best young offensive line prospect we’ve had for quite some time. I don’t count Cole Strange since he was a real reach in the first round.

Sidy combines elite athleticism with a solid character. I hope he comes back next week. I believe at RT.

It’s just going to take a season or two for him to round into form as a tackle. He’ll be a good one.

We need some levity. This is from Sept 14, 2019, and you’ll have to wait for it to see #62.

My opinion in mid August is being borne out in mid September. At least in the minds of many posters here. That is to say Belichick has been inattentive to the OL.

But Sidy Sow is clearly our best young offensive line prospect we’ve had for quite some time. I don’t count Cole Strange since he was a real reach in the first round.

Sidy combines elite athleticism with a solid character. I hope he comes back next week. I believe at RT.

It’s just going to take a season or two for him to round into form as a tackle. He’ll be a good one.

We need some levity. This is from Sept 14, 2019, and you’ll have to wait for it to see #62.

I have high hopes for Sow too. But I think Mafi was the better guard in Game 1.

just an opinion, if Klemm is here for a while, I think we see Sow at RG and the team not resigning Onwenu.
Both T spots will need to be addressed next season, unless Wheatley or Lowe show well.
I think taking a long view, J Andrews, Sow, Mafi, Russey and Wheatley could form a solid nucleus, but they need that stud OT. prefer they draft that player, not use free agency.
I agree with the above, the OL needs were not adequately addressed this offseason.

The offensive line issues are not due to a lack of talent, they're due to a lack of execution.

They're playing poorly as a unit.

Mistakes, missed assignments, not knowing who to block or firing slowly off the snap due to uncertainty... these are the earmarks of a poorly organized unit.

David Andrews, Onwenu and Anderson are vets, they didn't forget how to play football or lose their talent... they simply haven't learned how to play well together as a unit and incorporate the rookies.

Execution can be fixed, a lack of talent can't.

The offensive line issues are not due to a lack of talent, they're due to a lack of execution.

Mistakes, missed assignments, not knowing who to block or firing slowly off the snap due to uncertainty... these are the earmarks of a poorly organized unit.

David Andrews, Onwenu and Anderson are vets, they didn't forget how to play football or lose their talent... they simply haven't learned how to play well together as a unit and incorporate the rookies.

Stability re injuries and just more reps will fix much that the OL suffers from. The fear is that the season will slip away before that is achieved.

Stability re injuries and just more reps will fix much that the OL suffers from. The fear is that the season will slip away before that is achieved.
Agreed, they need to fix it now. The conference and division are too difficult to get behind.

Luckily they should have all five starting offensive linemen this week with all their backups healthy. The vets should know who to block, Klemm has to make sure they do.

Agreed, they need to fix it now. The conference and division are too difficult to get behind.

Luckily they should have all five starting offensive linemen this week with all their backups healthy. The vets should know who to block, Klemm has to make sure they do.
I'm picturing a plane with four dead engines plunging to the ground as pilot Klemm struggles mightily to get them re-lit before he runs out of altitude. He's got them sputtering but not yet running full blast. It's going to be a close call.

True. But Calvin Anderson had a clear idea what he needed to do—and couldn’t execute—against Van Ginkel, the backup OLB.

Not sure that playing on the right side is the issue. But if he’s back at RT against the Jets, that will be a bad sign.

The interior guys will get better. A lot better. But the additional factor is Onwenu’s weight gain and lack of conditioning. We should see him platooning with Mafi at RG.

It’s going to take several more weeks minimum before he’s in proper shape.

True. But Calvin Anderson had a clear idea what he needed to do—and couldn’t execute—against Van Ginkel, the backup OLB.

Not sure that playing on the right side is the issue. But if he’s back at RT against the Jets, that will be a bad sign.

The interior guys will get better. A lot better. But the additional factor is Onwenu’s weight gain and lack of conditioning. We should see him platooning with Mafi at RG.

It’s going to take several more weeks minimum before he’s in proper shape.
I saw Jack Conklin get beat on a speed rush before he hurt his knee, and he’s a perennial All Pro. Even great players get beat occasionally.

I’m not overly concerned about Anderson because they have depth with Sow, Wheatley and Lowe behind him. If Anderson struggles, they are deep.

His athleticism is better-suited for the Left side somewhere, either at LG or even LT.

Sow and Mafi have good and bad, as rookies playing a lot right away.
Was surprised to see Mafi take over for Onwenu at the half, and we still never heard if Onwenu re-aggravated his ankle, or they just planned to pitch-count him.
It will be very interesting to see who plays this week against that very tough DL.

Brown - Strange - Andrews - Onwenu - Anderson ?
OR Lowe - Mafi - Andrews - Sow - Anderson ?

Anderson based on his performance vs the Dolphins should be backup LT or LG only.

If he trots out against the Jets as our starting RT as I fear, then I know the problem is more than the player. It’s coaching. Adrian Klemm.

The Pats OL should be Lowe-Strange-David Andrews-Onwenu/Mafi-Trent Brown.

Wheatley should be our backup RT.

Mafi will need to spell Onwenu as he loses weight and gets back into shape. He was 370 or thereabouts. So enormous he made Anderson look like a ball boy. Just like during periods in Onwenu’s college days that caused his draft stock to plummet.

Much as happened with Dawand Jones this year. Or Chasen Hines several years ago.

Strange looked in great shape. Just rusty and slightly out of sorts.

Anderson based on his performance vs the Dolphins should be backup LT or LG only.

If he trots out against the Jets as our starting RT as I fear, then I know the problem is more than the player. It’s coaching. Adrian Klemm.

Mafi will need to spell Onwenu as he loses weight and gets back into shape. He was 370 or thereabouts. So enormous he made Anderson look like a ball boy. Just like during periods in Onwenu’s college days that caused his draft stock to plummet.

Much as happened with Dawand Jones this year. Or Chasen Hines several years ago.

I'm not ready to give up on Brown at LT. I don't think he was worse than Lowe - who had some serious trouble protecting the outside rush.
But, firstly, I'll be thrilled if Brown & Onwenu are even available again. Was disappointed how sluggish Onwenu looked. When injured all preseason, you should at least be staying in shape and doing a ton of conditioning. (yes, I know it's his ankle, but you can still do the treadmill and bike)

Lowe had some good and bad but thought and think he has potential. Really disappointed in Anderson this week. Doesn't look like he moves off the ball to quick. It's a different player breaking down. Early Strange didn't even acknowlege the rusher moving throught the gap, should have been a routine play. Andrews couldn't block Chubb at the final play.

Wasnt Sunday the first game Onwenu has played since last YEAR?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back