PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Commies hire Dan Quinn as HC

Your logic makes the assumption that Owners and GMs are high functioning but as evidence to the contrary: six or more coaches get fired every year and a majority of teams miss the playoffs. There’s a lot of incompetence in the ranks of NFL ownership and management.
I said that Bill's situation demonstrates that they are "pretty good judges." This hardly constitutes an assertion they are infallible, which is what would be required for your silly argument to be worth making. Your observations demonstrate merely that it is hard to find a really good head coach, which anyone of sound mind would surely know anyway, and which has nothing whatever to do with the the situation under discussion.

Wild to think Antonio Pierce, Jerod Mayo, and Raheem Morris are HCs but BB and Vrabel are not. This is the kind of stuff that keeps the NFL interesting and some franchises spinning their tires in the mud of mediocrity.

Vrabel may be deciding to take a year off. I heard a rumor that is what Belichick is doing. The rumor says that Belichick expects the Eagles and Cowboys jobs to be open next year and they are better spots than what is available this year.

And next year being another year older wont help his cause either tough pass.

*IF* a team wants or needs a 5 year plan, is it a good idea to hire a coach in his 70's?

*IF* a team wants or needs a 5 year plan, is it a good idea to hire a coach in his 70's?
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

How fun to be a Redskins fan. Imagine hiring a team of independent consultants and advisors to lead your next HC hire and the outcome is… Dan Quinn.
What's the old expression? A consultant is a guy who looks at your watch and tells you what time it is..

Vrabel may be deciding to take a year off. I heard a rumor that is what Belichick is doing. The rumor says that Belichick expects the Eagles and Cowboys jobs to be open next year and they are better spots than what is available this year.
This makes a lot of sense. The openings this year were mostly for chronically dysfunctional franchises. Next year along with Dallas and Philly there could be Buffalo, both NY, Arizona, and Pittsburgh

Consolation hire after failing to finagle Ben Johnson out of Detroit

After green bay put up 48 on the cowgirls, i figured that was it for him. As usual, I figured wrong.

OT: Do you realize how insane the Commanders' 2013 coaching staff was?

OC - Kyle Shanahan
QB coach - Matt LeFleur
WRs coach - Mike McDaniel
TEs coach - Sean McVay
DBs coach - Raheem Morris
LBs coach - Bobby Slowik

Five current head coaches including one Super Bowl winner and another potential one in two week and one people assume will be a future head coach. Four of the head coaches coached playoff teams this year.

Final Commanders 2013 record - 3-13

Wild to think Antonio Pierce, Jerod Mayo, and Raheem Morris are HCs but BB and Vrabel are not. This is the kind of stuff that keeps the NFL interesting and some franchises spinning their tires in the mud of mediocrity.
So it's only those 3 that is the wild part? The other 5 are deserving hires over Belichick and Vrabel?

I have never heard of a NFL 5 year plan. What are you referring to?

After green bay put up 48 on the cowgirls, i figured that was it for him. As usual, I figured wrong.

Agreed. Wild hire. After hiring a search committee they hire a retread. If you don't like BB, you take Quinn over Vrabel? Just incredible all around.

Still think the best place for BB and for the team he coaches would have been Dallas. They are desperate for a win and they’re loaded.

Can’t believe they stuck with McCarthy after that fall-down performance, particular considering how unprepared their defense seemed.

OT: Do you realize how insane the Commanders' 2013 coaching staff was?

OC - Kyle Shanahan
QB coach - Matt LeFleur
WRs coach - Mike McDaniel
TEs coach - Sean McVay
DBs coach - Raheem Morris
LBs coach - Bobby Slowik

Five current head coaches including one Super Bowl winner and another potential one in two week and one people assume will be a future head coach. Four of the head coaches coached playoff teams this year.

Final Commanders 2013 record - 3-13
Nice find they were all younger 11 years ago.

Isn’t Bill taking the year off because Atlanta didn’t hire him? He didn’t have a choice but to take the year off.

Still think the best place for BB and for the team he coaches would have been Dallas. They are desperate for a win and they’re loaded.

Can’t believe they stuck with McCarthy after that fall-down performance, particular considering how unprepared their defense seemed.
It made sense but Troy Aikman brought up a really good point. When they hired McCarthy, the thought process was that they were getting rid of a less experienced coach who couldn't get over the hump for a guy who did win a Super Bowl and had a track record of going deep in the playoffs. The Cowboys have been consistently good since they hired McCarthy and are always getting swings. Firing McCarthy for Bill is basically admitting the strategy failed to try the same strategy with someone else. Which was probably a harder sell for Jerry Jones. Especially with Bill's recent track record not being any better than McCarthy's was when he came to Dallas.

On top of that, Bill is going to want some level of front office control, and if you are Jerry Jones, your front office built a stacked team that got them this far. So why do you want to unearth it for the guy that pretty much emptied the cupboards on a dynasty and left it depleted of talented over a period of so many years? You're basically trading a successful front office for a guy who has gone rogue and objectively failed in that department on the promise that he might turn back the clock on his coaching success.

McCarthy knows it's SB or Bust next year in Dallas.

If BB wants that Shula record badly enough he needs to back off on his demand for control and just take a coaching job. Highly unlikely a team is giving a rental like BB that kind of control.
Bill Belichick? Change?
No Way Kg GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

Bill coached LT one way. Bernie Kosar one way. Tom Brady one way. His unbending, unflinching, militaristic ways worked for him, to a great level of success, until it didn't. I don't see him changing to fit the 2024 NFL player, nor the front office structures in place in today's game. He didn't change to keep Tom Brady, he's not about to change for Mac Jones or any other Johnny Foxboro type in some other city. Further, the longer he's out of the game, the harder it will be for him to adapt and the harder it will be to find a job.

Go fishing, Bill. Your watch has ended.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back