PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Getting Into Kraft's Thought Process - Some Thoughts

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) Obviously, the ONE task is to find and hire a GM. I can't see this taking more than a month.

2) Does anyone think that the Kraft's wouldn't be fine with Mayo or Vrabel as HC, after consultation with the HC.

3) Won't the Belichick situation be solved BEFORE any GM would sign a contract. I certainly hope so.
================
I'm fine with understanding that the Kraft's won this $5B asset, and that they should make decisions that they are comfortable with. PERSONALLY, I would be very surprised if the Kraft's would be comfortable with Belichick as HC in 2024.

I don't think that we would trade his rights without consent.

On the other hand, I don't see how Belichick's interference wouldn't be a problem for the new team.

It might take time to resolve all the issues. Obviously, no further decisions should be made by Belichick.

1) Obviously, the ONE task is to find and hire a GM. I can't see this taking more than a month.

2) Does anyone think that the Kraft's wouldn't be fine with Mayo or Vrabel as HC, after consultation with the HC.

3) Won't the Belichick situation be solved BEFORE any GM would sign a contract. I certainly hope so.
================
I'm fine with understanding that the Kraft's won this $5B asset, and that they should make decisions that they are comfortable with. PERSONALLY, I would be very surprised if the Kraft's would be comfortable with Belichick as HC in 2024.

On the other hand, I don't see how Belichick's interference wouldn't be a problem for the new team.

It might take time to resolve all the issues. Obviously, no further decisions should be made by Belichick.
I said it before. But....I think Bill should go or stay as HC/GM.

Keeping him as coach with a GM can cause issues

The problem is will the GM and HC get along?

If the losses pile up the backstabbing begins.
This is sorting like suggesting that a main issue may be how the HC gets along with ownership.

I see the GM as being very close to the Kraft's. The GM is part of management. To question the HC is to question the owner.
====
Fo example, if Pioli were to be the GM and the HC can't get along, the issue won't fester for long. The HC would be fired and an interim HC appointed.

Schefter doesn't think Bill will want a trade - so it's either he stays or he's fired.

I think Bill is going to schmooze Bob, tell him everything he wants to hear and he'll be back in 2024. A GM will added and some coaches are going to get shown the door. There really isn't any good enough jobs available for Bill. Schefter is hearing LA isn't that interested. The only Darkhorse I like for Bill is if Dallas collapses in the Wildcard. This is where I can see Jerry think about how he screwed it up with Parcells and brings in Bill for one last shot at a Super Bowl.

Bob shouldn't rush this and wait a few weeks.

Schefter doesn't think Bill will want a trade - so it's either he stays or he's fired.

I think Bill is going to schmooze Bob, tell him everything he wants to hear and he'll be back in 2024. A GM will added and some coaches are going to get shown the door. There really isn't any good enough jobs available for Bill. Schefter is hearing LA isn't that interested. The only Darkhorse I like for Bill is if Dallas collapses in the Wildcard. This is where I can see Jerry think about how he screwed it up with Parcells and brings in Bill for one last shot at a Super Bowl.

I seriously doubt Belichick will do any schmoozing whatsoever.

They've been together 23 years. It's silly to go into football stuff and process when everyone knows Bill isn't changing.

He will break down the team but that's it. He's certainly not going to sell Kraft on anything. He's going to tell Kraft where he thinks the team is and Kraft is going to decide whether Belichick is the man to coach the team.

I seriously doubt Belichick will do any schmoozing whatsoever.

They've been together 23 years. It's silly to go into football stuff and process when everyone knows Bill isn't changing.

He will break down the team but that's it. He's certainly not going to sell Kraft on anything. He's going to tell Kraft where he thinks the team is and Kraft is going to decide whether Belichick is the man to coach the team.
It doesn't look like he wants to leave. He's going to have to crack a bit at this point.

================

Kraft will keep Belichick in place and have him expand his staff and delegate more responsibilities.
When you have the best to ever do the job, you don’t move on from that.

Link to the Schefter part please. It would be malpractice for the Patriots not to get a pick for Bill. Bill is going to have multiple suitors, he should be able pick his destination and the Pats can acquire picks for having his rights.

I don't think Kraft is firing Belichick at this point. They are working on the terms so Belichick can stay for one more year, what that entails.

It doesn't look like he wants to leave. He's going to have to crack a bit at this point.
I'm not saying he's going to be obstinate or stubborn. I'm saying there is nothing to say. Kraft knows him inside and out. Belichick will always do the same thing to put the best team out there he can. He's not going to try to dazzle Bob with things he doesn't believe in

What do you mean by this?
Belichick will undermine/interfere with the GM much as he has interfered with the OC this year.

Belichick is Belichick.

If Kraft want him to continue, then so be it. Hire Pioli or someone similar to make or approve all personnel and financial decisions, including the hiring of assistant coaches and staff.

Personally, I don't see it. It was COACH Belichick that hired Patricia/Judge and wanted to keep them in control of the Offense. It was COACH Belichick that didn't allow BOB to have the staff he needed. It was COACH Belichick that allowed the move of Wynn to RT, even after this was an utter failure in camp.

Last edited:
Belichick will undermine/interfere with the GM much as he has interfered with the OC this year.

Belichick is Belichick.

If Kraft want him to continue, then so be it. Hire Pioli or someone similar to make or approve all personnel and financial decisions, including the hiring of assistant coaches and staff.

Personally, I don't see it. It was COACH Belichick that hired Patricia/Judge and wanted to keep them in control of the Offense. It was COACH Belichick that didn't allow BOB to have the staff he needed. It was COACH Belichick that allowed the move of Wynn to RT, even after this was an utter failure in camp.
You are very gullible to stories made up by people trying to get clicks.

Yeah at this point I think he's staying. The consensus best GM candidate is already lining up interviews. Bob should have knew exactly how today was going down before he woke up. He frankly should have known weeks ago.

I think there's several things at play. Kraft is gun shy as **** because he already let Brady walk away and gave up his dynasty and at his age he's too scared to risk the idea that he made another mistake. Another thing is that Patriots fans probably overrate how sought after and valued Bill in 2024 is around the league. Alot of teams aren't lookng for a 72 year old defensive mind who looks like he's been in decline for the past several years that has a limited shelf life and is probably going to come and try to big league a bunch of players and the front office with his past success. As well as the system worked here, it's going to be very hard for Bill to go to a team with an established QB that already is used to being treated like royalty and getting them to take the **** Brady did which trickled down. A lot of fanbases just aren't that high on getting Bill from what I've seen and a lot fo it is for the same reason Pats fans are ready to move on.

I do disagree that Kraft should wait though. It's arguable that waiting today is already having costly impacts on a potential replacements at HC and GM. The league moves way too fast and they aren't waiting on Kraft. In a few weeks the decision will turn into "oh **** now I have to decide if I want to basically get sloppy seconds and not my first choice this year and wait until next year to really get something good or punt and give Bill a 3rd chance to get it right". The fact that we are already probably losing out on one of the best GM's because other teams are courting them is extremely concerning. Imo if Bill isn't gone by the end of day tomorrow, he's here next year. And frankly, I think longterm that will prove to be a mistake. They'll probably have a slightly better year than this year, but I can't see them being serious contenders anytime soon and Bill will never let a full rebuild happen under his watch at his age. So you'll get the patchwork team we've had the last few years.

I expected a resolution by now. I wonder if Kraft is torn, or if the Pats are just waiting to secure a trade package from another team. Yesterday the rumor was that Bill was gone, then the counter rumor today that he could end up staying. I think the initial rumor is the truth and the possibility of him staying is a tactic to solicit trades. Although the Howe rumor about McDaniels coming back must have been leaked for a reason.

Link to the Schefter part please. It would be malpractice for the Patriots not to get a pick for Bill. Bill is going to have multiple suitors, he should be able pick his destination and the Pats can acquire picks for having his rights.
Frankly, this is an example of the Pats fanbase overvaluing a perceived asset the Patriots have. HC trades are rare. We were basically forced by the league to trade a first to the Jets.

The Pats have Bill's rights for a single season. Bill is coming off a very mediocre 4 year stretch. He's a defensive coach in an offensively driven league. People generally want to sell their fanbase the next new exciting thing that is going to usher in a brand new era, it's a lot harder to sell them on a 72 year old guy whose best years are definitely behind him whose recent track record has been extremely spotty as both a GM and HC. If Gronk can blow up a trade and go wherever he wants by strong arming the Pats, Bill Belichick can blow up a trade. The Pats don't have the leverage on him and all potential suitors are going to sell all the negative aspects to the Patriots if they try to trade him, Bill is going to spoil the pot, and the virtue that a HC who doesn't count against the salary cap is being discussed as trade fodder just signals that the Patriots don't want him anyways and are probably going to be forced to release him.

This isn't a Sean Payton situation where the Saints had multiple years on his rights and he was already under contract not coaching who also happens to be over a decade younger than Bill.

I said it before. But....I think Bill should go or stay as HC/GM.

Keeping him as coach with a GM can cause issues
And therein lies the rub.

Accept Belichick as GM/HC, warts and all, or negotiate his departure.

Sure, you could bring in a VP Of Player Operations reporting to Johathan to approve all contracts, all hires and all promotions for the last year of Belichick's contract. Pioli might even take that.

But why bother? Surely no one is worried about the $25M of Belichick's contract. This is left in the rounding. The team is worth between $6.5 BILLION and $7.0 BILLION. It is critical to circle the wagons and stop the bleeding. Fans might want to have fun a bring is some great young offensive coach with idea of him having a quick run at the SB; busting in the trying is just fine with these folks. The Kraft's want their investment to be worth more next year than it is this year. The goals are different.

Let Belichick go somewhere else and bring one of his sons with him, and start again with Josh as OC. There are lots of possibilities.

If he really, really wants to stay and Kraft wants him to stay for a farewell year, then demote him to DC.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back