PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats hire McCarthy as offensive assistant

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score

I’ll tell you one thing, Mayo and Co. sure are pulling out all the stops to make sure they have a full deck of coaches on hand. We have another OL focused hire and still have to fill the roles of WR & TE’s coach. I also don’t think we really ever talked about Taylor Embree being hired as RB’s coach. After reading AvP’s comments yesterday, can’t help but get a lil tingly at the idea of the return of smash mouth bully ball.

In his first four seasons at Brown, McCarthy has helped to revitalize and turn around Brown’s offense into one of the most high-scoring and up-tempo offenses in the Ivy League. During his first season in 2019, the Bears averaged 30.0 points per game, which doubled their scoring output from the previous season. McCarthy’s offensive line paved the way for the Bears to ranked 15th in the nation in total offense, averaging 454.4 yards per game. The offensive line helped the run game improve to 153.4 yards per game, up from 65.1 yards the previous season. The Bears’ run game averaged 4.4 yards per carry and ranked second in the Ivy League.
McCarthy’s group kept the momentum going into 2021, when Brown’s offense averaged 29.5 points per game, and led the Ivy League with 445.3 yards of total offense per game and 311.9 passing yards per contest. McCarthy coached Chad Broome-Webster, a two-time Second Team All-Ivy selection, and his offensive line helped quarterback EJ Perry win the Bushnell Cup as the Ivy League Offensive Player of the Year. The 2022 season saw Brown rank third in the Ivy League in passing yards per game (247.2) and see two offensive linemen earn All-Ivy honors.
Prior to coming to Providence, McCarthy spent the 2018 season on staff at Rutgers, assisting the offensive coordinator and mainly working with the team’s quarterbacks.
He previously spent two years in the NFL as an offensive quality control/assistant offensive line coach for the Detroit Lions for the 2016 and 2017 seasons. McCarthy played a significant role in developing the team’s offensive line, which featured three rookies selected by the Lions in 2016 including first round draft pick Taylor Decker and third round pick Graham Glasgow. McCarthy was instrumental in preparing the offensive line that was integral to the team’s overall success and berth in the NFC Wild Card game in 2016. McCarthy also worked closely with TJ Lang who earned the second Pro Bowl trip of his career in 2017.

I’ll tell you one thing, Mayo and Co. sure are pulling out all the stops to make sure they have a full deck of coaches on hand. We have another OL focused hire and still have to fill the roles of WR & TE’s coach. I also don’t think we really ever talked about Taylor Embree being hired as RB’s coach. After reading AvP’s comments yesterday, can’t help but get a lil tingly at the idea of the return of smash mouth bully ball.
If they fix the OL then the offense could be very good for Stevenson. Would be nice to add another back in free agency, there are a TON of solid ones...

Derrick Henry
Josh Jacobs
Tony Pollard
Saquon Barkley
Austin Ekeler
D'Andre Swift
Zack Moss
JK Dobbins
Zeke Elliot
Kareem Hunt
Damien Harris

If they fix the OL then the offense could be very good for Stevenson. Would be nice to add another back in free agency, there are a TON of solid ones...

Derrick Henry
Josh Jacobs
Tony Pollard
Saquon Barkley
Austin Ekeler
D'Andre Swift
Zack Moss
JK Dobbins
Zeke Elliot
Kareem Hunt
Damien Harris
I hope Rham can really establish something, but he hasn't been very consistent in his first 3 years here.
Maybe it's OL, or nagging injury, but he should still be RB1 this year.

We clearly need a "lightning" to his thunder... Imagine exchanging Zeke for Pollard! (won't happen)
Swift or Dobbins would be a great realistic addition.
Or, I think we draft a mid-round RB in that mold.

Derrick Henry
Josh Jacobs
Tony Pollard
Saquon Barkley
Austin Ekeler
D'Andre Swift
Zack Moss
JK Dobbins
Zeke Elliot
Kareem Hunt
Damien Harris
They should load up on RB’s this offseason. Rham can have availability issues. FA has some legit backs available as you pointed out but I’d like a late rd. Receiving back to spell Rham as well.

So much for no one wants to coach here, seems Mayo is gathering a decent group of coaches.

The narrative was always one I had trouble with. The Patriots are a great spot to land; expectations are low, you really get to see development from the ground up, etc.

It'll be exciting to see an eager staff start crafting a new identity for this team, and I'll take all the ups and downs as long as it's more entertaining than last season (again, which is a very low bar.)

I never followed coaching staff that closely (beyond the coordinators) so somebody please enlighten me 1) did we lose this many coaches this offseason to hire so many, 2) our coaching staff is way larger than a typical NFL team or 3) we were so understaffed?

I never followed coaching staff that closely (beyond the coordinators) so somebody please enlighten me 1) did we lose this many coaches this offseason to hire so many, 2) our coaching staff is way larger than a typical NFL team or 3) we were so understaffed?
BB's coaching staff was among the smallest in the league.
They are clearly going in the opposite direction this year...probably in part due to Mayo's lack of experience.
One downside to having such a large coaching staff is potential for too many voices and miscommunication.
BB liked his staff small so communication and chain of command was crystal clear.

Did not work last year...

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back