PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

on being a pats fan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBam39

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
it is becoming clear to me that, with this current pats regime, we are all lucky enough to be exposed to great managment, success, winning, and glory.
it's great - especially if you've lived through the lean years.

but what's funny, is they are using a new way of running their team, and what's difficult about it for us fans is that it involves constant turnmover - even with some of our best players. because of the nature of being a fan - it is challenging and painful to live with sometimes. yes - it's successful and causes us to maximize or assets at all times, and make objective, cold decisions that are in the best long term interest of the club, but it is so difficult to keep rooting for these players, and becoming so fond of them after watching them succeed, and then having to watch them leave for better compensation on the open market. I used to think this was just part of BB cleaning house and straightening out the salary cap situation, but now I see it will always be the way. As fans, we are gonna have to get used to waving goodbye, almost every year to someone we have grown to love.
it's difficult. but of course winning cures all, and I'm not complaining. I just wish it didn't have to be this way.
Bledsoe was scary, but we knew brady was good, and that BB needed to do what he thought.
Milloy was scary and painful, but truth was, lawer was slowing down.
ty law, damien woody, joe andruzzi, ted washington, antowain smith, adam vinatieri, etc etc etc - it's never pleasant to watch these valued contributers go, but that's life - to some degree with all teams in salray cap era - but especially true with BB and pioli. and now looks like branch, who was so fun, and clutch, and worked so beautifully with brady, leaving us saddened, again on the eve of the season - ala milloy. we'll rebound, we'll get good compensation, and find newer, more affordable receivers, and these prudence will ultimately help us to win super bowls - but at the time it happens, being a fan that loves the players - it hurts. and I'm guessing it always will, whenever it happens.

in BB we trust...

SamBam39 said:
it is becoming clear to me that, with this current pats regime, we are all lucky enough to be exposed to great managment, success, winning, and glory.
it's great - especially if you've lived through the lean years.

but what's funny, is they are using a new way of running their team, and what's difficult about it for us fans is that it involves constant turnmover - even with some of our best players. because of the nature of being a fan - it is challenging and painful to live with sometimes. yes - it's successful and causes us to maximize or assets at all times, and make objective, cold decisions that are in the best long term interest of the club, but it is so difficult to keep rooting for these players, and becoming so fond of them after watching them succeed, and then having to watch them leave for better compensation on the open market. I used to think this was just part of BB cleaning house and straightening out the salary cap situation, but now I see it will always be the way. As fans, we are gonna have to get used to waving goodbye, almost every year to someone we have grown to love.
it's difficult. but of course winning cures all, and I'm not complaining. I just wish it didn't have to be this way.
Bledsoe was scary, but we knew brady was good, and that BB needed to do what he thought.
Milloy was scary and painful, but truth was, lawer was slowing down.
ty law, damien woody, joe andruzzi, ted washington, antowain smith, adam vinatieri, etc etc etc - it's never pleasant to watch these valued contributers go, but that's life - to some degree with all teams in salray cap era - but especially true with BB and pioli. and now looks like branch, who was so fun, and clutch, and worked so beautifully with brady, leaving us saddened, again on the eve of the season - ala milloy. we'll rebound, we'll get good compensation, and find newer, more affordable receivers, and these prudence will ultimately help us to win super bowls - but at the time it happens, being a fan that loves the players - it hurts. and I'm guessing it always will, whenever it happens.

in BB we trust...

It's a little like the pro version of a college team. I agree. Being a Pats fan is different from being a fan of any other NFL team in that respect. I'll miss Willie McGinest most of all this year, but to think of losing our top two wideouts simply because of money is pretty damn unusual.

Tunescribe said:
It's a little like the pro version of a college team. I agree. Being a Pats fan is different from being a fan of any other NFL team in that respect. I'll miss Willie McGinest most of all this year, but to think of losing our top two wideouts simply because of money is pretty damn unusual.

it is, it is, but it's not like BB planned to lose branch - it looks like it's just gonna turn out that way.

but it that very unusual-ness about how they run things that sets them apart from the competition too.

oh well.
we'll all get over it.

SamBam39 said:
it is, it is, but it's not like BB planned to lose branch - it looks like it's just gonna turn out that way.

but it that very unusual-ness about how they run things that sets them apart from the competition too.

oh well.
we'll all get over it.

Here is a great analogy. Many people think if they left their jobs, the company would almost cease to go on. Every compnay constantly loses key people, and miraculously continues to go on. EVERYONE IS REPLACABLE.

I think fans sometimes see players through those same eyes, as irreplacable.

As BB would put it 'someone is going to line up at WR against Buffalo, and they are expected to do their job".

AndyJohnson said:
Here is a great analogy. Many people think if they left their jobs, the company would almost cease to go on. Every compnay constantly loses key people, and miraculously continues to go on. EVERYONE IS REPLACABLE.

I think fans sometimes see players through those same eyes, as irreplacable.

As BB would put it 'someone is going to line up at WR against Buffalo, and they are expected to do their job".

I hear you - but I'm not saying I think Branch is irreplaceable - I think we've all watched BB for too long to think that.

I'm saying it gets old to keep becoming big admirers of these players, becoming very fond of them, only to have to suffer the disappointment of them leaving all too soon.

that's all.

SamBam39 said:
I hear you - but I'm not saying I think Branch is irreplaceable - I think we've all watched BB for too long to think that.

I'm saying it gets old to keep becoming big admirers of these players, becoming very fond of them, only to have to suffer the disappointment of them leaving all too soon.

that's all.

Quite honestly the players mean nothing to me compared to winning.

Given 2 choices:
A) Keep every player, go to SB and lose it or
B) Cut all 53 sign 53 new ones, go to the SB and win it

I would take B every dayof the week,

AndyJohnson said:
Quite honestly the players mean nothing to me compared to winning.

Given 2 choices:
A) Keep every player, go to SB and lose it or
B) Cut all 53 sign 53 new ones, go to the SB and win it

I would take B every dayof the week,

oh I would too. winning is always the best pleasure from following a team.

but I find it hard to believe you watch these guys and root for them and cheer for them and watch them fight through their battles and watch them be heroic - and after all that - they mean nothing to you. Don't you think it's hard when a player you admire greatly walks? I'm not saying you can't get over it, but when it first happens, it can sting.

SamBam39 said:
oh I would too. winning is always the best pleasure from following a team.

but I find it hard to believe you watch these guys and root for them and cheer for them and watch them fight through their battles and watch them be heroic - and after all that - they mean nothing to you. Don't you think it's hard when a player you admire greatly walks? I'm not saying you can't get over it, but when it first happens, it can sting.

I admire players who have made an honest attempt to proudly wear the Pats Uniform.By this time,We know that BB doesnt have a problem with letting guys go who he feels isnt worth what they ask.Branch was given more then a fair deal and chose to not take it.I think in the long run,BB doing these kinds of things make for a more productive team.The reason being is,He has guys that WANT to be here,And I do think those guys will wind up playing with more pride and ferocity then the dude here for the big buck.Dont get me wrong,I hate seeing good players go.But as the gentlemen earlier said.If I quite my job.I AM REPLACEable.I know that.My boss knows that.BB knows that,Which is why he doesnt have an issue letting Marquee players go.

Patriots4Ever said:
I admire players who have made an honest attempt to proudly wear the Pats Uniform.By this time,We know that BB doesnt have a problem with letting guys go who he feels isnt worth what they ask.Branch was given more then a fair deal and chose to not take it.I think in the long run,BB doing these kinds of things make for a more productive team.The reason being is,He has guys that WANT to be here,And I do think those guys will wind up playing with more pride and ferocity then the dude here for the big buck.Dont get me wrong,I hate seeing good players go.But as the gentlemen earlier said.If I quite my job.I AM REPLACEable.I know that.My boss knows that.BB knows that,Which is why he doesnt have an issue letting Marquee players go.
yes - I agree - and I understand why BB does it - not questioning it.
just saying, since it'ss clear it's gonna keep happening - doesn't it stink to keep having to be sad? Like when they cut Willie. He loved being a patriot.
not questioning them cutting him - just saying it hurts to see these guys keep leaving year after year. seems like there's 3-4 guys we like leaving every year now - not borderline talents - but good players like adam, and givens. it's just the patriot way, and I don't want them to change, I've just never seen such a revolving door with players I really like...ah well.
at least we have all those shiny trophies and there not going anywhere!!

SamBam39 said:
yes - I agree - and I understand why BB does it - not questioning it.
just saying, since it'ss clear it's gonna keep happening - doesn't it stink to keep having to be sad? Like when they cut Willie. He loved being a patriot.
not questioning them cutting him - just saying it hurts to see these guys keep leaving year after year. seems like there's 3-4 guys we like leaving every year now - not borderline talents - but good players like adam, and givens. it's just the patriot way, and I don't want them to change, I've just never seen such a revolving door with players I really like...ah well.
at least we have all those shiny trophies and there not going anywhere!!

I agree.It is sad,it does suck.But.The sun always seems to shine one way or another in New England.lol..In BB we trust,No matter how hard that is at times.Heh

I agree very much on the Pats being a version of a college team. I think what makes them so enjoyable to root for is that they are a team that is completely about the TEAM. Just like how the USC's and Florida States, etc. are able to consistently put top ranked teams on the field year after year despite complete turnover every four yers. It is about the system and collecting individuals who will fit into that system. We all wish they could go out and sign every top ranked free agent but clearly Belioli only sign players that they think will fit into the system as a player and a person. And no they are not always correct. But I love what they demand from their players as people and football players. And that makes them so much fun to root for. But this offseason has been one kick in the balls after the other, and I'm expecting another one in an hour. But I still love this team and I love how they do business. Hurts to see these players go but I'm still drinking the Kool Aid...

Sorry for the rant, this has all been building up since the Denver loss....

miDeuce said:
I agree very much on the Pats being a version of a college team. I think what makes them so enjoyable to root for is that they are a team that is completely about the TEAM. Just like how the USC's and Florida States, etc. are able to consistently put top ranked teams on the field year after year despite complete turnover every four yers. It is about the system and collecting individuals who will fit into that system. We all wish they could go out and sign every top ranked free agent but clearly Belioli only sign players that they think will fit into the system as a player and a person. And no they are not always correct. But I love what they demand from their players as people and football players. And that makes them so much fun to root for. But this offseason has been one kick in the balls after the other, and I'm expecting another one in an hour. But I still love this team and I love how they do business. Hurts to see these players go but I'm still drinking the Kool Aid...

Sorry for the rant, this has all been building up since the Denver loss....

no worries - that wasn't really a rant.
we all love this team and the way they do things now.
it's painful having so much turnover but the winning isn't.
other teams keep their players and keep losing!
now that's painful.
the college comparison makes some sense.

I see what you are saying and I do agree with it, but I must say I have been surprised at how little the turnovers have actually stung me. I would have thought I'd be horribly upset if Vinatieri left, but it just never happened. Same with Branch. About the only one that gives me a bit of a hollow feeling is Willie McGinest.

I just realized that our FO pretty much knows what they are doing in the wake of the Bledsoe and especially the Milloy situation. Success just tends to calm my doubts.

It DOES make watching my 3 Games to Glory videos a little difficult at times, however.

Bella*chick said:
I see what you are saying and I do agree with it, but I must say I have been surprised at how little the turnovers have actually stung me. I would have thought I'd be horribly upset if Vinatieri left, but it just never happened. Same with Branch. About the only one that gives me a bit of a hollow feeling is Willie McGinest.

I just realized that our FO pretty much knows what they are doing in the wake of the Bledsoe and especially the Milloy situation. Success just tends to calm my doubts.

It DOES make watching my 3 Games to Glory videos a little difficult at times, however.

Yeah - it only hurts for a little while - you know why? Cause we usually are bust falling in love with their replacements! Plus busy watching them dominate their opponents! I get melancholy sometimes when I see a former patriot great on another team, but that's just they way it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST