PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Olin Lloyd's Funeral - Any Patriot Representive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that when there is a very sad, unfortunate and tragic situation like this one it is quite common to want to (a) place blame, and (b) want to figure out a way of preventing it from ever happening again.

As far as placing blame, that all falls solely on Aaron Hernandez himself. This is such an outlier, it is not something that could reasonably have been foreseen. Of course that doesn't stop some people in Florida from trying to point fingers at Urban Meyer and blaming him; and of course others will point their fingers at Kraft, Belichick, and the entire New England Patriots organization. The reality is that this is just one of those things that could not have been expected to happen, and therefore was virtually impossible to have been prevented.

Let's not forget that the media's job is to maximize profits via advertising revenue; the way to do that is to increase the number of people who watch, read and listen to their product. That may be worth considering when an event like this is presented by them, and opinions are presented so strongly that they resemble factual statements.

Excellent.
I'd simply add that lately it seems to be expected to see public figures rend their garments and beg the public to get forgiven. Quite mistakenly in this instance some folks somehow expect the employer to do the apology dance for events beyond their keen and control.

just to flip the coin around...

how do you know if the family thought it was improper and insulting that the patiots didn't have a representative present?

I don't know... that is why i'm asking the question..

Just looking for some insight and perspective. thanks

The family would be nuts to feel dissed by the Patriots not attending the funeral because the Patriots have no connection with them in any way! The fact the killer of their loved one worked for them is not a connection!

From another perspective, wouldn't you think the family would feel outraged if ANYONE who actually WAS connected with the murderer showed up at the funeral? :confused:

I think you're making a mistake by inferring any kind of relationship between the team and the victim. Just because the killer was a celebrity via his employment does not bring the employer into relationship with the victim, indirectly or otherwise.

Let's say Jimmy Buffett was under contract with Columbia Records and murders someone. Does that automatically bring Columbia Records into "indirect" relationship with the victim because thousands of people "know" Jimmy Buffett through buying his records/attending his concerts? Of course, fewer people would "know" Jimmy Buffett without Columbia Records, just as fewer people would "know" Aaron Hernandez without the Patriots. But being a celebrity musician or athlete or actor or financier does not even indirectly draw the employer into the picture.

In other words, Ahern did not commit a crime "because" he was a New England Patriot at the time. The team had nothing at all to do with it.

Off topic but listening to Jimmy Buffett music should be a crime in and of itself.

... wouldn't you think the family would feel outraged if ANYONE who actually WAS connected with the murderer showed up at the funeral? :confused:

Indeed. How could anyone with emotional intelligence above an earthworm possibly miss that point?

I think you're making a mistake by inferring any kind of relationship between the team and the victim. Just because the killer was a celebrity via his employment does not bring the employer into relationship with the victim, indirectly or otherwise.

In other words, Ahern did not commit a crime "because" he was a New England Patriot at the time. The team had nothing at all to do with it.
thanks tune, i understand your point.

what if BB & Kraft did their due dilligence like epstein did when he signed crawford to his 100M+ contract? what epstein did was he hired a detective to see what crawford was like off the field before the contract was offered.

If the patriots did the same thing, do you think the patriots would have given AH 9.5M upfront and the 40M contract?

It is my belief if the patriots had hired a private investigator before hand they would of never offered him a contract because the PI would of found out in a short amount of time that he is still very much living the gang life style.

I just think it is so sad that the patriots gave 9.5M to a gang member that gave him the means to live bigger thug life syle. Could some of this violence been avoided, who knows?

I just wished the patriots followed thru with more due diligence...

because it would be the right thing to do?

If my son was killed by a guy who worked for HP I would think it in extremely poor taste if someone from HP showed up.

The family would be nuts to feel dissed by the Patriots not attending the funeral because the Patriots have no connection with them in any way! The fact the killer of their loved one worked for them is not a connection!

From another perspective, wouldn't you think the family would feel outraged if ANYONE who actually WAS connected with the murderer showed up at the funeral? :confused:

I'm sure the family understands that there is not a direct connection to the patriots for lloyd murder. AH was a employee of the patriots when the crime took placed. The patriots (mira) are about community and compassion.

That is why I asked if there was a representative there. I don't know.

what if BB & Kraft did their due dilligence like epstein did when he signed crawford to his 100M+ contract? what epstein did was he hired a detective to see what crawford was like off the field before the contract was offered.

If the patriots did the same thing, do you think the patriots would have given AH 9.5M upfront and the 40M contract?

It is my belief if the patriots had hired a private investigator before hand they would of never offered him a contract because the PI would of found out in a short amount of time that he is still very much living the gang life style.

I just think it is so sad that the patriots gave 9.5M to a gang member that gave him the means to live bigger thug life syle. Could some of this violence been avoided, who knows?

I guess this is where you differ from most of the posters.
First it is questionable whether teams ever have private investigators follow their players, and second it is quite shaky that they would have uncovered what you think they would have.
It seems you are intent on laying the blame for the murder in the lap of Kraft and BB because you expect them to have predicted it.
I just do not agree with you opinion here.

Based on what? Where is the evidence that Hernandez was routinely, day in and day out living a 'gang life style' on a daily basis prior to August 2012? All we have is one alleged incident from one night in June. Are you suggesting that the Patriots should have placed 24/7 surveillance on Hernandez for several months?

I just think it is so sad that the patriots gave 9.5M to a gang member that gave him the means to live bigger thug life syle.
That is true, nobody is debating that.

Could some of this violence been avoided, who knows?
While that may be correct that nobody knows for sure, you do seem very convinced that it could have been. I'm still not seeing any reasonable evidence that it could have or should have been foreseen.

It's a horrible thing, yes. However, that does not mean that it should have been expected and avoided.

See responses on posts #23, #37, and #40.

Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick attend funeral of gang-banger semi-pro football player. The feel good story of the year.

Seriously, if this guy hung out with Hernandez, and had knowledge for a year of his double homicide, how good of a guy do you think he was?

I mean, I'm not passing judgement on the dead, but I highly doubt this was a guy I'd have by the house for Thanksgiving dinner.

Think man.

Why the hell would any Patriot be involved in this?

i'm not in the media, so I don't know their temperament with BB. do you think some in the media is so sick of his smugness and distain for the media?

we are talking murders here, not football plays, calls, players, etc. We are talking about people losing their lives because of this.

IMO, BB needs to answer the tough questions and not blow people off as he normally does... in this instance he need to step up and show his leadership and not hide behind his "no comment" attitude.

we shall see...
Please give us some examples of the tough questions BB needs to answer. And don't dance around it. What would YOU ask if you were in a presser with him?

I think this time it may be different. Here is a player they drafted out of college with a checkered past, and gave him a 40M extension. So this player has been in a gang since he was a teenager and still is. this person is charged with murder, shot another guy in the eye, and now a suspect in a double murder. even matt light knew what was going on and the front office didn't?

I don't think the typical BB statement is going to work, if he does it may backfire on him and the boston media may turn on him.

I'm looking forward to see how BB handles this...

If the NFL didn't hire anyone with a checkered past there would be no NFL. What did Matt Light know? His answer" "I don't want to talk about it." Matt Light is an idiot. BB will not "handle this". BB will talk about his team and his players. The media might as well pound sand if they try to engage him an a discussion on this. How long have you been following this team?

having a Patriots representative would bring the media circus to the event. let the family grief and not have to worry about the craziness. Im sure Robert Kraft and the Pats will do something to reach out to the family.

How'd that work out with the RS, Epstein and Crawford?

There are actually a lot of people who think the Red Sox went too far in their "due diligence." Looking into a guy's criminal history is one thing. Hiring Magnum P.I. to follow him around for a couple weeks is another.

because it would be the right thing to do?

Seriously wrong on many aspects:

1) Lloyd's family would be comforted and not pissed off at the obvious PR grab of the Patriots sending Andre Tippet?

2)No mourners are stopped by writer from fox sports and E!SPN? (The news helicopters in the missing man formation were touching.:))

3) Despite trying "to do the right thing -PR has nothing to do with it." The Patriots get many articles (Whitlock, Silver, etc.) on how this is a coldly calculated PR grab.

The NFL & the NE Patriots are not like any employer (ie mcdonalds)...

Why? No seriously. Defend this statement. Granted they are not just like McDonalds. Them using horse meat would be a different scandal for McDonalds and the Patriots, being in entertainment are more PR concerned. And maybe Bob Kraft is more of a good guy than a faceless board of directors.

But otherwise they are the same as McDonalds.

Yes, I do understand that the contract happened in aug 2012, one month after the jul 2012 double murder in boston after AH was in the same night club as the victims.

If the patriots have done their due diligence like epstien did with crawford, could any of this been avoided?

Yes, I posted the PFT article to offer a different point-of-view than mine...

Yes, if the Patriots investigation was better than the police...

You seriously want to use that as the standard?

I think this time it may be different. Here is a player they drafted out of college with a checkered past, and gave him a 40M extension. So this player has been in a gang since he was a teenager and still is. this person is charged with murder, shot another guy in the eye, and now a suspect in a double murder. even matt light knew what was going on and the front office didn't?

I don't think the typical BB statement is going to work, if he does it may backfire on him and the boston media may turn on him.

I'm looking forward to see how BB handles this...

Have you seen any Belichick press conferences? Here's how it'll go:

3 minute opening statement were Belichick mentions the practice and mentions Hernandez not at all despite knowing why 98% of the non-regular reporters are there.

First question: Bill, Wolff Blitzer from CNN and I regularly cover politics. Was there any concern about Hernandez's new contract?

BB: (long pause) I don't know how that relates to our practice today.

Second question: Bill, Bill O'Rielly from Fox news and I usually cover politics. How do you justify Hernandez's new contract?

BB: (uncomfortably long pause) I don't know how that relates to our practice today.

Third, fourth and fifth questions are variations on that and BB's replies are one to four word replies, like "Yes," "No,"" I don't know." He'll say, "I think I already answered that," and "Are there any questions about the players that are under contract?"

Eventually there are questions about Gronk and Tebow that are obliquely Hernandez questions (How did you decide that Gronk was mature enough for his contract? Did you foresee a need at TE before you signed Tebow?)

More "Yes," and "No," with a few "Just doing what's best for the team."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes