PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Olin Lloyd's Funeral - Any Patriot Representive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Employers are not responsible for the personal lives of their employees.
It would be illegal to fire an employee over rumors of their personal live.
Drafting a player is no different than hiring an employee, and giving a contract extension is not the equivalent of complicity in any crime he commits.

I would agree, my point is the patriots did not due their due diligence with the 40M extension like epstein did, if they have, they would of known in short time what he was all about.

Her is an interesting point-of-view from PFT...

Hernandez’s red flags never pointed to murder | ProFootballTalk

The NFL & the NE Patriots are not like any employer (ie mcdonalds).

They have personally drafted someone with character concerns coming out of college and some teams took AH off their draft boards because of it. Not only that they extended him with a 40M contract and gave him 9.5M upfront

When redsox GM, Epstien, wanting to sign carl crawford to a $160M contract, he hire a personal investigator to investigate before hand to ensure there were no off-field concerns.

If the Patriots did the same thing epstein did, they would know within a couple weeks of what this guy is all about. It was so blatant. even Matt Light knew what AH stood for.

Did the patriots know about AH shooting someone eye in florida in 2/13?
Did the patriots know about the gun incident at a RI nightclub earlier in 2103?

In my opinion, The Patriots did not due their due diligence.

It'll be interesting to see which "verdict" history decides is correct on this: yours (above) which I reluctantly agree is reasonable (much as I love my Pats), or the one which seems to be winning the PR battle at the moment - that the Pats were innocently duped like everyone else, but have handled the aftermath in a classy way (the latter which I also agree with).

As far as sending an envoy to the funeral, my guess is in these situations someone from the "employer" (Pats) reached out to the family to see if they would welcome a Pats rep at the funeral; and if they did, someone went, and if they didn't, no one did..

The NFL & the NE Patriots are not like any employer (ie mcdonalds).

They have personally drafted someone with character concerns coming out of college and some teams took AH off their draft boards because of it. Not only that they extended him with a 40M contract and gave him 9.5M upfront

When redsox GM, Epstien, wanting to sign carl crawford to a $160M contract, he hire a personal investigator to investigate before hand to ensure there were no off-field concerns.

If the Patriots did the same thing epstein did, they would know within a couple weeks of what this guy is all about. It was so blatant. even Matt Light knew what AH stood for.

Did the patriots know about AH shooting someone eye in florida in 2/13?
Did the patriots know about the gun incident at a RI nightclub earlier in 2103?

In my opinion, The Patriots did not due their due diligence.

The contract extension happened in August of 2012.

Unless they had access to Doc Brown's DeLorean, I am unsure how not knowing of events that happened six months later constitutes a failure of due diligence.

I would agree, my point is the patriots did not due their due diligence with the 40M extension like epstein did, if they have, they would of known in short time what he was all about.

Her is an interesting point-of-view from PFT...

Hernandez’s red flags never pointed to murder | ProFootballTalk

I am not seeing anything in that article that supports the failure of due diligence angle. Considering the source (PFT), which is pretty much all gossip and innuendo in order to fuel debate, that says a lot.

From the article:

But there was nothing — not until after Hernandez was tied to a murder case and scouts and sources and some in the media all began to join in a hands-across-Whoville chorus of I told you so.

Even if Hernandez’s antics had generated real warning signs beyond marijuana, it’s impossible to connect dots from off-field misbehavior to premeditated murder. It’s far more reasonable (or, as the case may be, far less reckless) to connect a substance-abuse problem (drugs or alcohol) to the potential for accidental death or dismemberment while driving a car.

Last edited:
That's true…but they are indirectly involved. By releasing a statement the day Aaron got arrested and "extend (their) sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment (the Patriots) feel knowing that one of (their) players was arrested"
By saying all of that, they are putting themselves into the conversation and it would be completely understandable if they made charitable donation in Lloyd's name or sent a rep to play respects to the family at the funeral. Maybe they did and we just don't know about it?

Okay. 1) If someone you know was being held without bail in a state prison for murdering someone you never heard of, would you feel an obligation to show up at the funeral of the deceased victim? 2) Do you think the family would take solace from your presence?

You are asking for the Patriots to make a public relations gesture.
To me, that is actually insensitive.
I would assume that Robert Kraft made a phone call behind the scenes to the family expressing his condolence.
I am sure the family would prefer to mourn their loss among family and friends without the interuption of a representative of the New England Patriots there to do damage control to 'protect the brand'.

I wouldn't assume kraft made a call if they are trying to distance themselves from this.

I wouldn't be sure they would prefer no patriots Representative there. Who knows maybe they could be upset that there was no patriot's representative there to show their respect.

This is just starting, so the way they decide to handle this will have a direct effect on their brand and fan base...

It will be interesting to see how bill belichick handles the questioning of this. I don't think the boston media is going to give him a pass if bill says something like this...

"we don't have any comment on this since there is an active investigation going on. i'm here to talk about our team and the players that are on our team".

In don't think that will fly and he will get ripped apart in the media because of it. No more free passes...

The patriots have no business with it. For all we know Lloyd himself could be involved in other badness.

It will be interesting to see how bill belichick handles the questioning of this. I don't think the boston media is going to give him a pass if bill says something like this...

"we don't have any comment on this since there is an active investigation going on. i'm here to talk about our team and the players that are on our team".

In don't think that will fly and he will get ripped apart in the media because of it. No more free passes...

I think that's exactly what BB will say, minus the part about an 'active investigation'. And the media won't rip him for this any more than they do anything else.

The contract extension happened in August of 2012.

Unless they had access to Doc Brown's DeLorean, I am unsure how not knowing of events that happened six months later constitutes a failure of due diligence.

I am not seeing anything in that article that supports the failure of due diligence angle. Considering the source (PFT), which is pretty much all gossip and innuendo in order to fuel debate, that says a lot.

Yes, I do understand that the contract happened in aug 2012, one month after the jul 2012 double murder in boston after AH was in the same night club as the victims.

If the patriots have done their due diligence like epstien did with crawford, could any of this been avoided?

Yes, I posted the PFT article to offer a different point-of-view than mine...

I wouldn't assume kraft made a call if they are trying to distance themselves from this.

I wouldn't be sure they would prefer no patriots Representative there. Who knows maybe they could be upset that there was no patriot's representative there to show their respect.

This is just starting, so the way they decide to handle this will have a direct effect on their brand and fan base...

Bill doesn't need free passes. He just handles the mediots the way he feels like handling the mediots. I always LMAO every time someone suggests that some mediot is going to put BB on the hot seat. Ain't happening, and if you're waiting for it to happen, I hope you're not waiting under water.

I think that's exactly what BB will say, minus the part about an 'active investigation'. And the media won't rip him for this any more than they do anything else.

I think this time it may be different. Here is a player they drafted out of college with a checkered past, and gave him a 40M extension. So this player has been in a gang since he was a teenager and still is. this person is charged with murder, shot another guy in the eye, and now a suspect in a double murder. even matt light knew what was going on and the front office didn't?

I don't think the typical BB statement is going to work, if he does it may backfire on him and the boston media may turn on him.

I'm looking forward to see how BB handles this...

I think this time it may be different. Here is a player they drafted out of college with a checkered past, and gave him a 40M extension. So this player has been in a gang since he was a teenager and still is. this person is charged with murder, shot another guy in the eye, and now a suspect in a double murder. even matt light knew what was going on and the front office didn't?

I don't think the typical BB statement is going to work, if he does it may backfire on him and the boston media may turn on him.

I'm looking forward to see how BB handles this...
"The Boston media may turn on him"? Where have you been living, on Mozambique?

The Patriots express themselves as a classy organization and always trying to do the right thing.
You're using the Ladanian definition of classy: "Hey, look at how classy I am."

True class for the Pats is to express private and sincere non-media condolences to the family via a personal call or visit. And not worry that some people will call the Pats classless because they didn't do something that was on television.

Were you a Boy Scout? Remember daily good deeds? They had to be anonymous.

Bill doesn't need free passes. He just handles the mediots the way he feels like handling the mediots. I always LMAO every time someone suggests that some mediot is going to put BB on the hot seat. Ain't happening, and if you're waiting for it to happen, I hope you're not waiting under water.

i'm not in the media, so I don't know their temperament with BB. do you think some in the media is so sick of his smugness and distain for the media?

we are talking murders here, not football plays, calls, players, etc. We are talking about people losing their lives because of this.

IMO, BB needs to answer the tough questions and not blow people off as he normally does... in this instance he need to step up and show his leadership and not hide behind his "no comment" attitude.

we shall see...

because it would be the right thing to do?

I don't think so. The Patriots had nothing to do with Lloyd's death and had no relationship with him. Why should they be represented?

That's true…but they are indirectly involved. By releasing a statement the day Aaron got arrested and "extend (their) sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment (the Patriots) feel knowing that one of (their) players was arrested"
By saying all of that, they are putting themselves into the conversation and it would be completely understandable if they made charitable donation in Lloyd's name or sent a rep to play respects to the family at the funeral. Maybe they did and we just don't know about it?
They extended their sympathies in the written statement as a matter of etiquette, that's all. The team has no "involvement" in this whatsoever.

Yes, I do understand that the contract happened in aug 2012, one month after the jul 2012 double murder in boston after AH was in the same night club as the victims.

If the patriots have done their due diligence like epstien did with crawford, could any of this been avoided?

Uh, the state police didn't tie AH to this murder* back then yet you imply that somehow the Patriots FOOTBALL organization should have? Sets a record in the 20-20 hindsight department.

* In fact it is simply not known at this time if AH had anything to do with that murder. It's under re-investigation based on recent developments. Appropriately so.

i'm not in the media, so I don't know their temperament with BB. do you think some in the media is so sick of his smugness and distain for the media?

we are talking murders here, not football plays, calls, players, etc. We are talking about people losing their lives because of this.

IMO, BB needs to answer the tough questions and not blow people off as he normally does... in this instance he need to step up and show his leadership and not hide behind his "no comment" attitude.

we shall see...
W hy would Bill Belechick comment on the murder? What would he have to add?
The Patriots released the player when he was arrested. Is that not statement enough of how they feel about his actions.
Are you seriously trying to hold the Patriots accountable for not preventing the crime and ask that BB hold a press conference to address his culpability?

I don't think so. The Patriots had nothing to do with Lloyd's death and had no relationship with him. Why should they be represented?

The patrots have an indirect relationship with the lloyds because one of their current (now ex) players is charged with murder of their family members..

I'm just using the quote the patriots were using when they released herandez,

because it was the right thing to do...

In August of 2012 there was zero knowledge about Hernandez being involved in the July 2012 incident. The Massachusetts State Police did not know suspect him then, nor did the City of Boston Police. Given that those two agencies did not suspect Hernandez back then, I don't see how a PI would have found out about it.

Performing their due diligence and any other investigation prior to the contract extension would not have uncovered any involvement by Hernandez with the July 2012 murders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back