PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Olin Lloyd's Funeral - Any Patriot Representive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't assume kraft made a call if they are trying to distance themselves from this.
Who said they are trying to distance themselves from anything?
What would you like them to do?
I will absolutely assume that Bob Kraft made a phone call to the family, because that is the human thing to do, and Kraft has proven to me that he is a genuinely caring person.
I do not need, nor do I want, him to make a public show of how he conveyed his condolences to the family of a murdered man.

I wouldn't be sure they would prefer no patriots Representative there. Who knows maybe they could be upset that there was no patriot's representative there to show their respect.
Well I am sure I would not, which is what I said. I see no good in it.

This is just starting, so the way they decide to handle this will have a direct effect on their brand and fan base...

It will be interesting to see how bill belichick handles the questioning of this. I don't think the boston media is going to give him a pass if bill says something like this...

"we don't have any comment on this since there is an active investigation going on. i'm here to talk about our team and the players that are on our team".
Frankly, I think its none of BBs business. BB fired the man. He has no right or obligation to be speculating about a murder investigation or trial to the media.

In don't think that will fly and he will get ripped apart in the media because of it. No more free passes...
I simply do not understand what you are saying.
Correct me if i am wrong, but you feel BB and the Patriots bear responsibility for Odin Lloyd's murder?

i'm not quite sure why you cited that article because it contradicts your point of view.

That is the reason I posted it... I'm ok with an open, healthy discussion without it getting personal, all point of views are welcome even if it doesn't coincide with mine...

The patrots have an indirect relationship with the lloyds because one of their current (now ex) players is charged with murder of their family members..

I'm just using the quote the patriots were using when they released herandez,

because it was the right thing to do...

That's the same as saying that ANY murderer's employer at the time of the crime has an indirect relationship with the victim. This makes no sense. As I posted earlier, extending their sympathies to the victim's family within context of the written statement about Hernandez was a "nicety" that certainly wasn't "required." It was just etiquette.

If the Pats sent somebody there, everyone would be saying they were looking to play the sympathy card. And...BTW... F the media.

If the Pats sent somebody there, everyone would be saying they were looking to play the sympathy card. And...BTW... F the media.

If the Pats sent somebody there it would be improper, and could be seen by the family as insulting.

Can anyone tell me if there was any Representative from the Patriots to offer any condolences to the Llyoyd family? I see the Mass State Police sent someone and but did not hear or read any reports that the Patriot's sent one.

Anyone have any info?

thanks

I think you should've went for the funeral, his family would have appreciated that

That's the same as saying that ANY murderer's employer at the time of the crime has an indirect relationship with the victim. This makes no sense. As I posted earlier, extending their sympathies to the victim's family within context of the written statement about Hernandez was a "nicety" that certainly wasn't "required." It was just etiquette.

like it or not, the patriots have an indirect relationship to this murder.

in every news report, written or TV, the media is stating "former new england patriots tight-end arron hernandez has..."

This murder happened when he was an employee and every media outlet is using the patriots name in all reporting. IMO, there is a indirect relationship in everything that is reported.

I'll agree to disagree and i'm ok with that...

I think you should've went for the funeral, his family would have appreciated that

yes, i think they would have appreciated that.

do you have anything to add to the discussion instead of making fun of the OP?

There has been some healthy discussion going here, do you have anything of substance to add without getting personal?

yes, i think they would have appreciated that.

do you have anything to add to the discussion instead of making fun of the OP?

There has been some healthy discussion going here, do you have anything of substance to add without getting personal?

It's really not that healthy. It is just you getting pummeled and since you dont like it you are playing the "everyone is getting personal with me" card when in fact nobody has said one thing "personal" to you.

If the Pats sent somebody there it would be improper, and could be seen by the family as insulting.

just to flip the coin around...

how do you know if the family thought it was improper and insulting that the patiots didn't have a representative present?

I don't know... that is why i'm asking the question..

Just looking for some insight and perspective. thanks

When releasing they made clear their sympathies were with the victim's family and their disappointment that one of their players could be involved.

Sending people to the funeral would have been grandstanding and wrong JMO.

It's really not that healthy. It is just you getting pummeled and since you dont like it you are playing the "everyone is getting personal with me" card when in fact nobody has said one thing "personal" to you.

I'm not getting pummeled at all, you have anything of substance to add?

just to flip the coin around...

how do you know if the family thought it was improper and insulting that the patiots didn't have a representative present?

I don't know... that is why i'm asking the question..

Just looking for some insight and perspective. thanks

Maybe the Lloyd family hates the Patriots because they wouldn't give their son a chance? Or maybe they hate them because they gave a ton of money to a thug and empowered him to live his GTA dream lifestyle and kill their son.

Or, maybe as explained to you already the Pats FO has no obligation and nothing to do at all with this tragedy. The last thing this family wants right now is more of the Patriots and certainly more pomp and circumstance that would come from some silly gratuitous appearance by them

because it would be the right thing to do?
How is it "the right thing to do"? The Patriots are the former employer of the accused, but they are in no way connected to the crime or to the victim.

The Patriots are either going to run away, deny, hide, evade and take no responsibility or they will try to turn this horrible/horrific crime(s) into something we all call learn from and somehow make something positive out of this, as hard as it may be...
Of course they're going to take no responsibility - because they have no responsibility.

Did you go to the funeral? No? Well, does that mean you were trying to hide, evade, and take no responsibility?

I think that when there is a very sad, unfortunate and tragic situation like this one it is quite common to want to (a) place blame, and (b) want to figure out a way of preventing it from ever happening again.

As far as placing blame, that all falls solely on Aaron Hernandez himself. This is such an outlier, it is not something that could reasonably have been foreseen. Of course that doesn't stop some people in Florida from trying to point fingers at Urban Meyer and blaming him; and of course others will point their fingers at Kraft, Belichick, and the entire New England Patriots organization. The reality is that this is just one of those things that could not have been expected to happen, and therefore was virtually impossible to have been prevented.

Let's not forget that the media's job is to maximize profits via advertising revenue; the way to do that is to increase the number of people who watch, read and listen to their product. That may be worth considering when an event like this is presented by them, and opinions are presented so strongly that they resemble factual statements.

The patriots have no business with it. For all we know Lloyd himself could be involved in other badness.
This is what I was thinking too. There are an awful lot of crocodile tears in here for Odin Lloyd but you know what? We may not know much about him, but I'd gladly bet he was a pretty scummy person. After all, you're known by the company you keep and he sure spent a lot of time around another degenerate sleazebag: Aaron Hernandez.

We don't know anything for sure, but there are a lot of people who think he may have known about the murder of 2 people last summer and did nothing about it.

like it or not, the patriots have an indirect relationship to this murder.

in every news report, written or TV, the media is stating "former new england patriots tight-end arron hernandez has..."

This murder happened when he was an employee and every media outlet is using the patriots name in all reporting. IMO, there is a indirect relationship in everything that is reported.

I'll agree to disagree and i'm ok with that...

I think you're making a mistake by inferring any kind of relationship between the team and the victim. Just because the killer was a celebrity via his employment does not bring the employer into relationship with the victim, indirectly or otherwise.

Let's say Jimmy Buffett was under contract with Columbia Records and murders someone. Does that automatically bring Columbia Records into "indirect" relationship with the victim because thousands of people "know" Jimmy Buffett through buying his records/attending his concerts? Of course, fewer people would "know" Jimmy Buffett without Columbia Records, just as fewer people would "know" Aaron Hernandez without the Patriots. But being a celebrity musician or athlete or actor or financier does not even indirectly draw the employer into the picture.

In other words, Ahern did not commit a crime "because" he was a New England Patriot at the time. The team had nothing at all to do with it.

I think this time it may be different. Here is a player they drafted out of college with a checkered past, and gave him a 40M extension. So this player has been in a gang since he was a teenager and still is. this person is charged with murder, shot another guy in the eye, and now a suspect in a double murder. even matt light knew what was going on and the front office didn't?

I don't think the typical BB statement is going to work, if he does it may backfire on him and the boston media may turn on him.

I'm looking forward to see how BB handles this...
Is there anything about the way Belichick deals with the media that makes you think he gives a crap how they respond to his comments?

I guarantee you he goes with the old "just going to talk about the players that are here" line. I actually think he will get less criticism from the media (compared to when he normally says that) because, in this case, they know he couldn't talk about it even if he wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes