PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - the "reflections and observations" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It's been almost 3 weeks since the miracle in Houston happened. I'm sure all of us have overdosed on game clips, fan clips, analysts' clips, mic'd up clips plus dozens of assorted podcasts and, of course, the not ot be missed fuhrer clips. ;).

Well the other day, while I was getting my daily fix of these clips I came accross one that showed the last 20 minutes of the game, and despite the fact I had seen clips like this several times over the last few weeks, I came away with some thoughts I'd like to share, along with some others concerning the team and the upcoming season.

1. A lot has been made about the reason that the Pats were so dominant over the last part of the game was that the Atlanta D was worn out because they were playing over 90 plays. While I don't doubt that it played a factor, in my opinion if you watch closely the Atlanta D was STILL playing very hard and fast at the end of the game. The difference was that Brady was insanely accurate, the OL blocked better, and his receivers consistnenly made the plays that they weren't making in the first half.

There is an old Vince Lombardi quote that says, "fatigue makes cowards of us all" I didn't see that in atlanta's play and the narrative that wants to make that the deciding factor in the game demeans the great effort of the Falcons and minimizes what the Pats offense accomplished. Remember the Pats had almost the same passing offense (close to 200yds) in the first half, as they did in the 2nd (not counting the OT) In the end, the Pats just made plays that continued drives in the last 20 that they were missing in the first 40. And don't forget the Pats offense also had to play those 90+ plays too. No one seems to remember that fact

2. How dominant and mentally tough were the Pats on the last 2 drives of the game. Think about this. On the game tying drive of 91 yds and the game winning drive of 75 yds combined, they had to make just ONE 3rd down conversion. And boy what a play it was, but I'll get back to that. That's pretty amazing when the fact is that neither of these drives had huge chunk plays in them, though there a number of 20 yd plays.

3. Getting back to the play that I think was the most important offensive play of the game in a game FULL of important plays. It was the 3rd and 11 from the 8 yard line. Given that the previous 2 plays had been pretty ugly, if it had failed, BB might have punted on 4th and 11. He still had 3 TO's and close to 3 minutes left. The odds of making 4th and 11 in that position were NOT good. So making that play was of critical importance. And it was an incredible throw by Brady under a lot of pressure.

Alot has been said about the Edelman catch and the Bennett PI, but BOTH of those plays were on first down and if they hadn't been made, the way the Pats were playing, I think both drives would have continued unabated. So that 3rd and 11 near your GL was a MASSIVE play, and one of the clutch throws of Brady's career. JMHO

4. I love Bennett and really hope he comes back, but I can't help but think that Gronk would have caught that pass in OT despite the obvious PI. Not that Bennet did anything bad, it just Gronk is that good. In my mind it would have made for a cleaner ending.

5. A lot has also been made about the Atlanta play selection after Jones' miracle catch. Easy to say, but much like the Seattle decision, it wasn't as bad as it seemed, (though it was pretty bad. ;) ) The run game was going no where in the 2nd half. Remember the first down run yielded negative yardage. In the end it STILL would have had to have been over a 40 yd FG, plus you already had one kick blocked.

To my mind it wasn't so much they chose to pass, but that they didn't use the opportunity to run a play action pass instead, that was the biggest mistake. I often have that complaint of the Pats who often line up in shot gun on 3rd and short and give up the run option entirely and make it easy on the D. But I digress. '

In the end a team will always revert to "who they are", and throwing the ball in key situations is "who they are". It's the same mentality that caused Ryan to throw the ball to Jones despite the fact he was really well covered. One play worked the other didn't. And when things don't work, they become subject to relentless 2nd guessing. If they had completed the pass, nothing would have been said about the choice.

6.The fact that the defense held the Falcons historically good offense to 7 second half points is the story that ISN'T being focused on enough. The Falcons got six 2nd half opportunities, including one (after the onside kick) that started in Patriot territory, and only managed one score, including getting 0 in the last 4 straight. That's pretty awesome.

7. Gotkowski's missed extra point was bad, but his KO's that allowed the Pats to pin the Falcons deep on the couple of drives are being underplayed. It isn't easy to make a KO end up right on the GL AND in the corner.

8. When Edelman fair caught the ball on the Pats 35 with 3 seconds left in regulation, I was a bit surprise BB didn't go for the free kick to win the game. I couldn't see the risk. Any such kick would clearly take the 3 seconds left, so there was not risk Atlanta would see the ball again. It would have been an extreme long shot, but it would have been cool to see a play in the superbowl that very few people would have ever seen, or likely even knew about. Calling that play would have just been SOOO Bellichick. And it would have been legendary if it had worked. BTW- did any mediot ask him about that after the game?

9. One of the things I noticed happened to jibe with one of my pet peeves. If you watch closely you can't help but notice that the Atlanta DL were getting off the ball quicker than the Pats DL. And if I had ONE thing I'd like them to improve on this off season is to get off the ball faster.

This is Totally a coachable skill, and has nothing to do with knowing snap counts, and everything to do with reacting to the ball being snapped It is a visual thing. I know because I worked hard on it, and it allowed me to be a successful college NT at 210. When I coached it in HS, I could see a significant difference in players who worked on it. So I know it CAN Be done. Like tackling I think this is skill that is not adequately coached at the NFL level. And there is no excuse because, unlike tackling, you can teach it without any contact. JMHO

10. In all the post game interviews one of the prevailing mantras you heard was "I just try to do what the coaches tell me." Over and over again, from Marty to Julian to Flowers, etc, you hear the same thing. I mention it because it is ANOTHER big difference that allows the Pats to be who they are for so long. The players on this team BELIEVE in their coaches and what they tell them. Of course it all starts with BB's credibility, but it extends to the rest of the coaching staff. What makes it so remarkable is that it works despite the fact that the vast majority of the staff, not only never played in the NFL, most never played big time college ball either.

For some reason there is rarely ever a case where a player questions what he is being coached to do, even when the guy doing it has never played the position, or played it at a high level. A perfect example is Matty P who's playing experience at that football powerhouse of RPI, was on the OL. In fact IIRC his first NFL job was as an assisteant OL coach. What other team who has 5 veteran and accomplished Safeties, would be successfully directed by a coach who has more experience playing lacrosse than football. Yet somehow they listen and accept.

WHAT an amazing culture they have developed over the years that it has allowed this kind of acceptance to happen. I'm happy that more and more of this kind of insight is being publicized, which allows the average fan to understand that THIS is why the Pats seem to win every year, and it's NEVER been about "cheating":

10. A second thing I'd like BB to take a long look at improving is the indisputeable fact that 3 of the worst game the Pats played this year all came AFTER they got a bye week. It is no coincidence that the Seattle game, the Houston playoff game, and the Superbowl ALL came after the Pats had an extra week to prepare.

I don't know what exactly they are doing wrong, but whatever it is they better change it, because in all 3 games the Pats had horrid first halfs and beyond. Anyone have any possible ideas as to why this was the case? I'm really curious because when it happens 3 times in the same season, its GOT to be something that can be improved.

11. The Garapolo situation will be the biggest story of the off season. I have to admit I am all for the trade, even if its for my own selfish reasons. Frankly the draft season will be THAT much more interesting if the Pats are picking 32nd in every round. Lately I've become just a casual follower of the draft process, because most of the time I really don't have a clue who they draft and why. I have been wrong so many times, I no longer bother to speculate what they will do. Well actually I DO speculate, but certainly don't take anything I think seriously ;)

That being said, I really thing that BB IS going to get an offer that will get him to move off of JG between now and the draft. CURRENTLY, my best guess is Chicago, and the fairest compensation that will get the deal done, is Chicago's pick at #35 plus an extra 3rd day pick in this year's draft, PLUS a conditional pick that could run from a 3rd to a first in next year's draft. With a fairly low bar to get to that first. Say wins the job, he has a solid year with the team,and signs long term before next year's draft. If he gets hurt inthe 4th game, or turns into Osweiler they get a 3rd. Something like that. The Pats most likely get their 1st round pick, and 3 shots to get 2 players. The Bears get the hardest piece of the puzzle to get, and SOME protection if it doesn't work out as well as they hope

The main reason I pick Chicago is that Fox is the HC who is most "on the hot seat". I don't know much about this QB class, except that NONE of them look to be ready to help a team win next season, and THAT is what Fox and Pace, his GM, need to do to keep their jobs. They have to win now and the best bet of THAT happening is getting a QB who is capable of that. JG is the top prospect for that. What exactly do high draft picks mean to Fox and Pace, if they end up just helping the NEXT HC.

Plus you have the "hometown" connection and Pace's ties to E. Illinois as well that may factor into the decision

In the end, I don't think BB will actively shop JG, but rather listen to what is being offered and hopefully be blown away by one of them. If he only gets something like a high 2nd round pick, I can see him keeping Jimmy another season.

12. The second biggest story is what we will do with our top FA's To me, either by an extention or franchise tag, Hightower will be a Patriot next season. No drama in that situation. The most interesting IMHO, will be Butler's situation. As a RFA with a first round tag, I'm wondering if a team will make a big enough offer to grab him AND give the Pats a first round pick. Butler might be a top 10 CB, but as a short one, is he worth a 8 figure cap hit PLUS the loss of #1 pick.

I think I'd take the gamble. This year's draft is FULL of replacement possibilities if you get ANOTHER #1 pick. Plus there are a couple of decent FA replacements out there on the off chance he's overpaid. Trumaine Johnson comes to mind.

The alternative for Butler, I believe would be to sign a 2 year extention that will pay him more than what he'd get as a RFA, but less than what he'd get as a true FA, and would give him a true shot at FA while he's still under 30, in 2019. Say a 2 year 16MM deal. with half guaranteed.

The 3rd alternative is to pay him like he was a true FA on a long term deal (5 years). The kid has been a testiment for the Patriot Way. Coachable, dependable, productive, versatile, and above all AVAILABLE.

I think all our low end FA's will be back at the same price, or small raises. That includes Branch, Long, LGB, Devlin, Mingo, Van Noy. While Bennett, Ryan, Harmon, Sheard are all question marks

13. Areas I'd like to see improvements on are on the DL, to add depth and get more explosive. I'd like to add another big CB. I'd like to try another stab at a speed, or coverage LB. On offense, a developmental TE, and big RB. The only thing I'd want to see on the OL is if we can get a bigger more powerful C. If not I'd pass.

14. I'd like to see Mingo get a real shot at getting into the regular defensive rotation. I'm wondering if the time has come (and Harmon goes) for Nate Ebner to move into that 3rd S spot. He has the physical skills. I'll be curious to see how DJ Foster makes the jump into his 2nd year. Will Geno Grissom be able to make the same jump Flowers made only 1 year later The Pats kept him and Foster around for a reason. Finally I'm sure at least ONE of CJones or JJones will make an impact at CB next season.

Those will be my off season/TC watch list, what's yours?

15. This team is going to be poised to make a serious run at 3 in 4 years. They have the money to sign everyone they really want on the current roster and others that aren't. They could be drafting with their highest pick in the last decade, or at least start to make a dent in the draft lurch Goodell left us, So I'm not worried about the talent level of next year's team. It WILL be good enough to win, IF they can develop the same kind of chemistry this year's team did. But it will ALSO be a different team with a roster turnover that usually ranges from 15-20%.

16. Speaking of the walking mass of pustual corruption, I hope people don't think that what he did to this franchise and Brady is over, just because we won the superbowl.. I might have been able to let it go if he hadn't come out and repeated the charges and called the Pats cheaters and Brady a cheater and liar for almost the entire 40 minute presser he had at the superbowl. He didn't back down an INCH, and neither am I. When someone directly attacks your integrity when it's been proven that you are innocent, and CONTINUES to lie and misrepresent the truth, you DON'T let it go. When he, or his minions of haters, continue to propegate lies, WE have to be there to make sure it doesn't go unanswered, because if you don't, the lie becomes the truth. It's as simple as that.

17. I am still hoping that some kind of organize protest will be in evidence on opening night. I still love the Clown shirt idea, and will gladly volunteer my time and effort to see 68,000 Pats fans wearing that shirt on opening night. Let me know how I can help.

Last edited:
BTW- My favorit fan clip among the many I loved, was a clip showing what looked to be a large family of about 15 all watching the game from grannies to toddlers. All were of asian decent and there was no English being spoken. I was touched by the fact that while you had no idea what was being said, you knew EXACTLY what they were feeling as you watched them live the varied highs and lows of that special game. The same unfettered glee with each scoring drive at the end of the game culminating in Whites 2 yd run, was the same that was felt throughout Patriot Nation. You didn't need a translator.

The lesson to be learned here is that people are much more alike than they are different and their loyalty to a sports franchise cuts across all the barriers we seem to be making such an effort to create. We should take more time to remember that

Last edited:
When someone directly attacks your integrity when it's been proven that you are innocent, and CONTINUES to lie and misrepresent the truth, you DON'T let it go. When he, or his minions of haters, continue to propegate lies, WE have to be there to make sure it doesn't go unanswered, because if you don't, the lie becomes the truth. It's as simple as that.
This applies to NFL/local and national media diatribes SINCE 1980.

I, for one, am obviously never letting it go. The national - and local, perhaps even more - public, as well as Robert Kraft, will be educated as to who and what the New England Patriots really are. God, do they need it.

When Edelman fair caught the ball on the Pats 35 with 3 seconds left in regulation, I was a bit surprise BB didn't go for the free kick to win the game. I couldn't see the risk. Any such kick would clearly take the 3 seconds left, so there was not risk Atlanta would see the ball again. It would have been an extreme long shot, but it would have been cool to see a play in the superbowl that very few people would have ever seen, or likely even knew about. Calling that play would have just been SOOO Bellichick. And it would have been legendary if it had worked. BTW- did any mediot ask him about that after the game?

There would have been the risk that the Falcons could have returned the extra long field goal try for a touchdown. Its happened before in College, remember the Alabama Auburn game a few years ago. Auburn won in the last seconds with a returned field goal attempt for touchdown.

We know "bend and break."
We've seen game after game of "bend and break."
We've watched garbage QBs put up perfect passer ratings vs. NE's "bend and break."
And for this SB......it was Brady's turn.
After seeing Atlanta's version of "bend and break," we now know NE's "bend and break" ain't that bad after all...because NE almost always gets the W.

Great post Ken.

1. Much in line with our thoughts on the Falcons 'fatigue' I watched an Atlanta defence keep putting themselves into position to make plays but it was the Patriots player who made them. Brady was imperious. The 20/20 hindsight narrative that made it seem like a shoe-in doesn't hold up when you look back at how many great plays the Patriots has to make in the 4th quarter and OT to get the win. To top it all off, James White's run really was amazing and so close to not actually making it across the line.

2. The 3rd and 11 was HUGE - I agree! Brady didn't have a great deal of time and was still being harrassed regularly and he throws that ball to a spot KNOWING that his WR would get there. Great stuff.

3. Totally agree on the 'coming off a bye week' thing. The Patriots are always so sluggish (relative to their usual selves) - it's been the case for quite awhile now. If ever you wanted a stat to make the point, here it is:

The Patriots have failed to score a single point in the first quarter of ANY Superbowl since 1997.

It leaves us often chasing the game - against teams with amped up pass rushers its a recipe for games being constantly played on a knife edge of failure

4. I'l be seriously disappointed in anything less than a 1st rounder for Garopollo. The QB market has never been so needy with so little quality resources available (though draft or otherwise) - this has to be the year to strike it big.

5. I have a sneaking suspicion that Marty Bennett might return to the Patriots. Despite the stuff about 'Superbowl winners getting paid' I think he knows that spending a year of life in football purgatory for some extra money (even millions) is not a great idea. He's had a taste of playing and winning - I think he'll test the market and then he'll sit down with the Patrriots and get something worked out.

6. Another 'out there' prediction is that we don't re-sign Hightower. Bill always drops at least one offseason WTF move on us and I think this might be the one.

There would have been the risk that the Falcons could have returned the extra long field goal try for a touchdown. Its happened before in College, remember the Alabama Auburn game a few years ago. Auburn won in the last seconds with a returned field goal attempt for touchdown.

Either Belichick or Edelman (or both) was asked about it and said that they were setting up for the fair catch free kick but that BB felt it ended up being too far to try.

As for risk, I think the risk you mention here is overstated. This is not like a regular field goal where you have lumbering fatties in the game to block the rush and therefore have a limited number of fast people who can deal with a return. Rather, it's like a kickoff where you can have all your usual fast, kick coverage people in. Also, Edelman fair caught the ball at the NE 35. That's the usual kickoff location. And we've seen Ghost blast them through the endzone plenty of times from there. You put him out there with instructions to try to get it through the uprights but err on the side of it going out of the endzone. And as @patfanken said, the clock does start on the kick so if it goes out of the endzone (even if a miss) the quarter is over.

But yeah -- it would have been glorious to win the SB on a fair catch free kick. People would have freaking out everywhere. And I bet a bunch of the players wouldn't have understood it, either.

The only downside is that you can guarantee the fair catch free kick would be removed from the rulebook for 2017.

8. When Edelman fair caught the ball on the Pats 35 with 3 seconds left in regulation, I was a bit surprise BB didn't go for the free kick to win the game. I couldn't see the risk. Any such kick would clearly take the 3 seconds left, so there was not risk Atlanta would see the ball again. It would have been an extreme long shot, but it would have been cool to see a play in the superbowl that very few people would have ever seen, or likely even knew about. Calling that play would have just been SOOO Bellichick. And it would have been legendary if it had worked. BTW- did any mediot ask him about that after the game?

It would have been incredible if this had happened and worked. I can just imagine Troy Aikman trying to explain it, and failing.

He was asked about it (not sure if it was immediately after the game, or the next day) and he said he considered it briefly, but he thought it was a little too far away. 10 yards closer and he might have tried it.

It's been almost 3 weeks since the miracle in Houston happened. I'm sure all of us have overdosed on game clips, fan clips, analysts' clips, mic'd up clips plus dozens of assorted podcasts and, of course, the not ot be missed fuhrer clips. ;).

Well the other day, while I was getting my daily fix of these clips I came accross one that showed the last 20 minutes of the game, and despite the fact I had seen clips like this several times over the last few weeks, I came away with some thoughts I'd like to share, along with some others concerning the team and the upcoming season.

1. A lot has been made about the reason that the Pats were so dominant over the last part of the game was that the Atlanta D was worn out because they were playing over 90 plays. While I don't doubt that it played a factor, in my opinion if you watch closely the Atlanta D was STILL playing very hard and fast at the end of the game. The difference was that Brady was insanely accurate, the OL blocked better, and his receivers consistnenly made the plays that they weren't making in the first half.

There is an old Vince Lombardi quote that says, "fatigue makes cowards of us all" I didn't see that in atlanta's play and the narrative that wants to make that the deciding factor in the game demeans the great effort of the Falcons and minimizes what the Pats offense accomplished. Remember the Pats had almost the same passing offense (close to 200yds) in the first half, as they did in the 2nd (not counting the OT) In the end, the Pats just made plays that continued drives in the last 20 that they were missing in the first 40. And don't forget the Pats offense also had to play those 90+ plays too. No one seems to remember that fact

Another good read, Ken. About teaching the defensive line to get off the ball more quickly, doesn't this go against Belichick's read and react defensive philosophy or is this something that the Pats defense no longer employs? Livinginthe Past beat me to the observation that it has not just been this year's poor first half play following a bye week, but the slow starts in all seven Belichick/Brady Super Bowls. It is amazing that a coach like Belichick, who does so much analysis of his own team's weaknesses, has allowed this to persist.

Another good read, Ken. About teaching the defensive line to get off the ball more quickly, doesn't this go against Belichick's read and react defensive philosophy or is this something that the Pats defense no longer employs? Livinginthe Past beat me to the observation that it has not just been this year's poor first half play following a bye week, but the slow starts in all seven Belichick/Brady Super Bowls. It is amazing that a coach like Belichick, who does so much analysis of his own team's weaknesses, has allowed this to persist.
Thats a gppd qiestopm Norm. You are right when you are using the OL to get your keys, it would obviously slow your start. But when you are clearly in pass rush mode, as everyone was in that superbowl, I would think you can teach them to get off quciker.

Thats a gppd qiestopm Norm. You are right when you are using the OL to get your keys, it would obviously slow your start. But when you are clearly in pass rush mode, as everyone was in that superbowl, I would think you can teach them to get off quciker.
gppd qiestopm? Good god, man.

gppd qiestopm? Good god, man.

I've had a few gppd qiestopm days before...

c19c88599be3b872f1a733b5c2c808ae.gif

I'm sure BB's good buddy Saban has told him all about this...a few times...over many beers...

As for the OP, totally agree about the D being very competitive. Many of those catches were tightly contested. The throw to Dola had to be perfect, and it was. Hogan was a touch late coming back to the ball, and the corner got a hand in there. The Jules catch on the crossing pattern was an extremely tight window. Seriously, so many plays where Brady had to be just perfect, and he pretty much was. The D-linemen might have been a half a step slower, but that defense was very competitive to the very end.

The two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl helps the opposition much more than it helps the Patriots because its gives them more time to prepare for and practice against the diverse looks the Patriots offer on both offense and defense.

That's my theory anyway.

Lucky for us, I don't think our fanbase will let this integrity issue go one bit, and rightfully so.

Lesson of the day? You fight until the bitter end if someone CONTINUES to make false accusations against your character. You can bet if that coward shows his face at Gillette on opening night that those clown shirts and a lot more will be evident for a national audience.

BTW- My favorit fan clip among the many I loved, was a clip showing what looked to be a large family of about 15 all watching the game from grannies to toddlers. All were of asian decent and there was no English being spoken. I was touched by the fact that while you had no idea what was being said, you knew EXACTLY what they were feeling as you watched them live the varied highs and lows of that special game. The same unfettered glee with each scoring drive at the end of the game culminating in Whites 2 yd run, was the same that was felt throughout Patriot Nation. You didn't need a translator.

The lesson to be learned here is that people are much more alike than they are different and their loyalty to a sports franchise cuts across all the barriers we seem to be making such an effort to create. We should take more time to remember that

You are so right on here Ken. My favorite of the MANY reaction videos was this one:

Here is an even bigger example of how Patriots Nation spans ALL LANGUAGES. Even sign language. And even through this vid we know when White scores the TD because we can see their reaction to it.

Like I said when I posted it in the original thread (here), winning has ONE language. And it's not just the 5 1/2 states of NE that emcompasses Patriots Nation as we know. Regardless of our differences, this team and this sport brings folks together. Folksy as it may sound, that's the truth.

The two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl helps the opposition much more than it helps the Patriots because its gives them more time to prepare for and practice against the diverse looks the Patriots offer on both offense and defense.

That's my theory anyway.
We need the two weeks to rest up, man.

The Pats have played more games than anybody over the last 10 years, by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3