PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NOTICE: Ratings Abuse - Knock it off, Seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your going to take the time to hit the disagree button, take the time to post a constructive response why you disagree. The dislike button should only be used on posts that are "troll" like. Just my opinion

Disagree
The Disagree button does not always mandate a response.
If one or more others have posted prior reasons that clearly delineate why I strongly disagree with a post I see NO value add by my posting an inane ME TOO post.

I rarely use negative ratings but when I do its dos X's.

Seriously though when I do I also reply as to why I dislike or disagree.
Yes,i dont get someone disliking a post or disagreeing with a post without saying why

Wow man. If you can't appreciate that vid, you have my most sincere condolences.
Funny, I thought you were originally referring to the Jennifer Connelly vid...

I feel like we should have a ratings that compliments the poster, but dislikes the subject matter. Like, "X is injured"

then someone can rate it "Oh boy, that is awful, but thank you for taking sometime to spread the news" or something
INTERESTING

Didn't realize people were abusing the ratings. Honestly, I have never checked my rating, probaly because I use my phone alot, but I do get an alert and check out what the alert was about. But wow. I wonder what sort of post would prompt an assault like that, was it a Steelers fan?

I put a contact form on my website. Should I not get mad when a spammer floods it with 100 junk submissions?

Does this contract form propose a transfer of millions of dollars now trapped in an African bank for the paltry sum of $1,000 necessary to administratively process the financial transfer?

If so, yes, and I want my $1,000 back. The millions never showed up in my bank account.:)

Last edited:
What about mods deleting posts simply because they don't agree with your opinion?

Ratings cleared out, if you see changes to your ratings, you were among the abused. :cool:

Hopefully this closes this out and as I said, I'll be keeping an eye on this moving forward.

Ratings cleared out, if you see changes to your ratings, you were among the abused. :cool:

Hopefully this closes this out and as I said, I'll be keeping an eye on this moving forward.

I'm now in first place.

Miss-America-winner-Nina--008.jpg

I'm just sorry that I didn't have a speech prepared for the occasion.

Nnnnng my good will towards Ian iswarring with my childish need to dislike everything in this thread cause it'd be funny. To me only. Probably.
Be strong!!!

Then why post on this 'discussion' board? If you believe you present unique insights and others are hanging on what you say in your perceived monologues, then guess again. I would assume you visit the site to talk sports rather than offer an amateur opinion piece without response or reply.

'Agree' means you find no issue with a post. 'Like', pretty much the same. 'Disagree' or 'dislike' means you take issue with a post but give no indication why you take exception with the post with no further explanation. If something is worth hitting 'dislike' or 'disagree' on, then do the discussion a service and say why you take issue with it. As an exercise, try responding using the words "I disagree" with nothing more in live conversations at work or at home and let me know how that conversation flows. Or say a calculation is incorrect with no explanation why. People tend to have an annoyed response due to the lack of dialogue, especially when offering opinions.

And if does not matter what others do with that function in your posts, then why use it? Do you actually believe others care what you think and are writing for your non-specific opinion on what they say?

Public service announcement over. And no, I didn't complain about the practice. Change or not, I like your unwavering view, but you may want to check Ian's rule because you may be one of the targets and thus may not need to worry about the function much longer. Problem solved. No hidden meanings. Pretty simple.

Phenomenal Post!!
smiley_headbanger.gif

I seldom use the negative ratings but I do think there's a world of difference between Disagree and Dislike -- and I'm not sure the Dislike rating is even useful to have around.

You can disagree (or Disagree) on issues of fact. If a poster makes a claim you strongly disagree with and 5 other posters have already given detailed rebuttals, clicking Disagree is a reasonable way to add your vote without repeating what's already been said.

Dislike is fact-free, just pure negative emotion. I've seen people use it as a natural reaction to negative info, like a report of a serious injury -- thus "shooting the messenger" by putting a negative rating next to their name. If you dislike the poster him/herself, well, put them on ignore. If you dislike the way the poster is treating other people, report the post as abusive.

Excellent Post!!

As Ian points out: As abrasive as the Big Red X may be, it doesn't show up on our Permanent Record!! :D

Stack Overflow crawls through its database once a day and removes serial downvotes from butthurt posters trying to seek petty revenge. It's very easy to automate the detection of this behavior. They also remove serial upvoting, as it is not deserved either (i.e., it isn't based on the merit of the posts). I wouldn't be surprised if it sent the offenders an automated warning message to stop.

But Stack Overflow's entire economy is based on reputation, with lots of perks added based on your reputation votes. Without reputation, Stack Overflow collapses.

Here it's very different. Here the little likes/dislikes are minor: content is everything. The like system is a minor social feedback loop: votes let the poster know your feelings, and can draw other people's attention to a thread (as each thread shows the modal vote type and number). People doing serial voting should grow up, but the victims: don't worry it really isn't a big deal. Feel free to publicly call the offending party out, public shame is often a good corrective for trolls.

I like the system, as it allows lurkers to express their opinion without having to post and get sucked in. So I disagree with those saying people should post why they downvoted something. I also think we shouldn't do away with the system, because it is a cute helpful little parallel/underground communication stream.

Could always do what facebook does, and only have positive votes: like/agree/useful/winner. That's what the Colts have on their message board. :p Oh, and banners. Lots of banners.

This week, after our first loss in a while, people have definitely been acting weird here more than usual. The chicken littles at one extreme, but much more prevalent are the opposite: those acting like we have already won the Super Bowl and are offended at the suggestion that we legitimately lost to the Broncos. And then we have Quantum Mechanic in some superposition of states that is pretty much incomprehensible.

1267527853_old_guy_going_crazy.gif

When the most sane poster on your forum is Off the Grid, you are in deep ****. ;)

Awesome!!
jester.gif
I assure you that my bouts of Sanity are fleeting, though!! :D

The lion's share of the negative consequences are felt by the ones lashing out. Indulging in such behavior contributes to the stunting of their development.

Hah!! Beauty!!
jester.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes