PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ANNOUNCEMENT New Feature: Censor Filter Toggle

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
As many of you know, I disabled the censor filter for logged in users, since there wasn't much point in having the filter active as most people circumvented it anyway and made it relatively pointless.

However, at the same time, I've gotten a few messages on this, as it did bother some people. As a result, after doing some digging into the code a bit further, I just added the ability for people to toggle whether or not you wish to have those words censored or not as you browse the board.

Some people don't care, but I also realize it bothers some people and that's certainly cool. Thank you to those who did reach out as I can't fix things around here without your suggestions, and these are obviously things I need to be aware of. ;)

If you open up the slideout menu, at the top (if you're logged in) this option now appears:

1703184624502.png

Just toggle it on if you want those words censored (it's off by default, so you'll need to turn it on). The change will go into effect as soon as you refresh your browser.

Not a big deal, but it was a suggestion several people requested and after figuring it out, it's now active for anyone who wants to utilize it. :)

Imagine being offended by the language others use.

That's embarrassing.

Sorry you have to put up with all that nonsense.

That's embarrassing.

It's not nonsense, everybody's different. The cool thing is the fact that I was able to figure it out, which solves the issue for everybody.

I've always tried to make it where people could control their experiences here, and it also helps deal with some additional issues we've had. At the same time, digging into this one indirectly helped me with something else I was working on, so it worked out just fine. :cool:

Last edited:
You do know most people are going to defeat the purpose of this and you are still going to have have to deal with the crybabies tears (sorry, I mean complaints), right?

The below is dedicated to the babies on this forum that waste Ians time coming up with this stuff.

sad.gif

You do know most people are going to defeat the purpose of this and you are still going to have have to deal with the crybabies tears (sorry, I mean complaints), right?

The below is dedicated to the babies on this forum...

sad.gif
Not really worried about it. It was a relatively easy fix once i figured out how to access this part of things.

Not to mention, I’d rather people have simple options instead of having to make bigger decisions that affect the whole group.

Now it’s business as usual for everybody else, and those who would prefer otherwise at least have that ability. ;)

Great Ian that you always seek to improve ... for me watching this since 2000.
My opinion is that it is not my business who is offended ... everyone can enjoy the site as they wish is great.

In the future perhaps we can get AI for our posts feature ? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
My opinion is that it is not my business who is offended ... everyone can enjoy the site as they wish is great.

In the future perhaps next we can get an AI for our posts feature ? Asking for a friend.
We should get an AI bot to argue with Andy. It would be an infinite loop.

In the future perhaps we can get AI for our posts feature ? Asking for a friend.
ChatGPaTriot.

That's embarrassing.

I prefer it off…easier to have folks self-identify the kind of human they are by the words they choose. I can be salty myself, but some words and phrases are off limits in my vocab or the vocab of anyone I take seriously as an adult with value to add.

Pretty rare on this site that I see anyone cross my admittedly subjective line.

Usually it’s not the words, but when I see someone constantly resort to childish personal attacks when another poster disagrees with them that I just hit “ignore”

Maybe 3 in 2 years, and one was banned so…

Well done @Ian

As many of you know, I disabled the censor filter for logged in users, since there wasn't much point in having the filter active as most people circumvented it anyway and made it relatively pointless.

However, at the same time, I've gotten a few messages on this, as it did bother some people. As a result, after doing some digging into the code a bit further, I just added the ability for people to toggle whether or not you wish to have those words censored or not as you browse the board.

Some people don't care, but I also realize it bothers some people and that's certainly cool. Thank you to those who did reach out as I can't fix things around here without your suggestions, and these are obviously things I need to be aware of. ;)

If you open up the slideout menu, at the top (if you're logged in) this option now appears:

View attachment 55379

Just toggle it on if you want those words censored (it's off by default, so you'll need to turn it on). The change will go into effect as soon as you refresh your browser.

Not a big deal, but it was a suggestion several people requested and after figuring it out, it's now active for anyone who wants to utilize it. :)
Not terribly freaking useful to me personally.

but nice to know we continue to be the avant garde of football boards.

1-2questions:
1. are the censored words individually tailorable? (Also, If so how does someone who doesn’t want to see those words type them in? :evil:)
2. how is the foreign language recognition (for example, Scheisse, piesen, fick, Mötze, Schwanzlutscher, Wichser, Titten)

asking for a friend.

I was raised in a Scottish Family by my Grandparents who immigrated to the U.S. after WW2, and raised in Lynn (although I lived in Glasgow for 4 years before moving back, and I was an Active-Duty Marine and then a Coast Guard Search & Rescue Pilot). Cussing (although I rarely have the past 15 or so years), doesn't faze me in the least. But, for those sensitive to such, if they need a filter, then so be it.

I was raised in a Scottish Family by my Grandparents who immigrated to the U.S. after WW2, and raised in Lynn (although I lived in Glasgow for 4 years before moving back, and I was an Active-Duty Marine and then a Coast Guard Search & Rescue Pilot). Cussing (although I rarely have the past 15 or so years), doesn't faze me in the least. But, for those sensitive to such, if they need a filter, then so be it.

Awa' n bile yer heid, ya boggin dobber!

well, if your ears are sensitive, its a good add to the site... cuz

s galore doctor who GIF

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft