PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NOTICE: Ratings Abuse - Knock it off, Seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally if I disagree or dislike something I quote it and comment. But I have at times done the opposite admittedly but generally I think if someone disagrees or dislikes what does it hurt to tell us why?

I spend most of my board time on dirt bike forums, in one we have NO ability to like, dislike etc., only reply, on the other the only option is to like a comment or reply. It works well and the *****ing, hate and crap is kept to a minimum and the trash talk forum rules are strictly enforced.

If no one cared about the rating there wouldn't be 9 pages of comments :D

my 02, please dont dislike this LOL

Last edited:
Going back in time and disliking a bunch of posts is silly, I agree.

But just to be clear, if someone keeps posting stupid **** over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, it's okay to keep disliking each stupid post right?

Like if Cris Collinsworth joined our board (might pick a username like "Pessimistic Peter" or something similar) and continues to post non-stop stupidity, disliking/disagreeing with every dumb thing they write is fine so long as it's not done maliciously.

Or if Roger Goodell were to join the board (might pick a username like "RedFromDartmouth" or something similar) and just rambles on and on about incorrect stuff and trolls the board worse than the typical Jets fan (which coincidentally, Goodell is), it's fine to dislike almost every post if almost every post is stupid. Which 99% would be. Just so long as we don't go back and dislike past posts. Unless they're also stupid. Which they probably will be.

Just some random fictitious examples...

"The right to dislike a post on patsfans shall not be abridged" - Thomas Jefferson

Sorry - this is still america I'll dislike everything

We didn't have any bells and whistles in the forum when I came here in 2000 ...

It was a great forum ... just saying.

I get it ... forums need to adapt to social media and the need to post Facebooks and Tweets is useful.

But there really is no need for a ratings type system ... didn't need it then and don't need it now.

Do away with dislike and disagree and the problem goes away.

- Disliking comes at the cost of one of your Positive ratings.

This is a very good idea. At Stack Overflow, when you downvote, you actually lose reputation yourself. So you are less likely to do it gratuitously.

We didn't have any bells and whistles in the forum when I came here in 2000 ...

It was a great forum ... just saying.

I get it ... forums need to adapt to social media and the need to post Facebooks and Tweets is useful.

But there really is no need for a ratings type system ... didn't need it then and don't need it now.

Do away with dislike and disagree and the problem goes away.

So I'll serious face post for a second and say that I do think there's a pragmatic value in ratings systems - it cuts down on the number of low content replies by people who want to have their voice heard. Which saves bandwidth.

I have no idea about the complexity of scriping for this board but maybe a limited # of dislikes per thread per person or something would help cut down on the pettiness.

So I'll serious face post for a second and say that I do think there's a pragmatic value in ratings systems - it cuts down on the number of low content replies by people who want to have their voice heard. Which saves bandwidth.

I have no idea about the complexity of scriping for this board but maybe a limited # of dislikes per thread per person or something would help cut down on the pettiness.
Not all Pettiness is bad.

Going back in time and disliking a bunch of posts is silly, I agree.

But just to be clear, if someone keeps posting stupid **** over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, it's okay to keep disliking each stupid post right?

Like if Cris Collinsworth joined our board (might pick a username like "Pessimistic Peter" or something similar) and continues to post non-stop stupidity, disliking/disagreeing with every dumb thing they write is fine so long as it's not done maliciously.

Or if Roger Goodell were to join the board (might pick a username like "RedFromDartmouth" or something similar) and just rambles on and on about incorrect stuff and trolls the board worse than the typical Jets fan (which coincidentally, Goodell is), it's fine to dislike almost every post if almost every post is stupid. Which 99% would be. Just so long as we don't go back and dislike past posts. Unless they're also stupid. Which they probably will be.

Just some random fictitious examples...

Interesting post ConvertedPatsFan, but I have to respectfully point out that the idea of Cris Collinsworth and Roger Goodall writing posts on this website is completely implausible, they both lack a certain key skill set....

illiteracy.jpg

It's incomprehensible to me how people can watch Patriot games and post at the same time. My eyes and attention are so riveted to the TV, I would not be able to, nor want to, share that attention with my tablet or phone.
Commercials.

I love this forum.. It really is jam packed with great info. But i have to ask who cares if someone dislikes what someone else has to say. Why waste your time fixing something that doesnt matter. Ban the morons that are acting like children and move on. Also to the people who are disliking post.. Feel free to dislike or disagree every post ive ever made if it makes you stop sucking your thumbs every night to fall asleep.

I've written a script tonight that created a report to look at the abuse regarding the negative ratings after multiple complaints and have noticed a few users that are abusing it badly, which includes racking up a lot of negative totals toward other users. I can now see exactly who you're unloading on and it needs to stop.

I'll be reversing these over the next couple of days and have over a dozen people who are involved in this practice and am going to have to set aside time to go through and manually write queries to delete them as it will require essentially over 50 queries to clear them all out, as well as run the function to recalculate them.

I think most of us are over the age of 18 on here so I'd like to think we're above that kind of behavior. I'm going to be running this report now each night to see how many negative ratings are handed out by certain individuals (and you know who you are, so consider this your one "get out of jail free card" to change your behavior) and it also shows me who you're apparently not getting along with by who you're slamming with those ratings, and if it continues I'll be revoking your ability to use them at all. For those being nailed by these people, don't retaliate as I'll see who is hitting you to begin with and will take care of it accordingly. If you retaliate, you're creating more work for me .

Needless to say, just stop it. If you disagree or dislike a post by someone, don't proceed to hit the next 10 because you're angry. If it's that bad and what the person says annoys you, put them on ignore and just move on. Because this is just ridiculous.

I've written a script tonight that created a report to look at the abuse regarding the negative ratings after multiple complaints and have noticed a few users that are abusing it badly, which includes racking up a lot of negative totals toward other users. I can now see exactly who you're unloading on and it needs to stop.

I'll be reversing these over the next couple of days and have over a dozen people who are involved in this practice and am going to have to set aside time to go through and manually write queries to delete them as it will require essentially over 50 queries to clear them all out, as well as run the function to recalculate them.

I think most of us are over the age of 18 on here so I'd like to think we're above that kind of behavior. I'm going to be running this report now each night to see how many negative ratings are handed out by certain individuals (and you know who you are, so consider this your one "get out of jail free card" to change your behavior) and it also shows me who you're apparently not getting along with by who you're slamming with those ratings, and if it continues I'll be revoking your ability to use them at all. For those being nailed by these people, don't retaliate as I'll see who is hitting you to begin with and will take care of it accordingly. If you retaliate, you're creating more work for me .

Needless to say, just stop it. If you disagree or dislike a post by someone, don't proceed to hit the next 10 because you're angry. If it's that bad and what the person says annoys you, put them on ignore and just move on. Because this is just ridiculous.

This is a bit silly. Also, whoever on this board actually complained about something like this ought to be embarrassed. lol

This is a bit silly. Also, whoever on this board actually complained about something like this ought to be embarrassed. lol
There should be some type of irony rating.

I have never rated anyone a dislike/disagree or any other negative rating. If my view conflicts with yours, I would much rather offer my countering opinion in retort...isn't this what message boards are for anyways???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes