PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL scout on Garoppolo: Bill thinks he's got the next great one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please show me one of those multiple sources that confirmed the browns offered the #12 pick. That would end the discussion. Showing me one that says I think they might consider offering it, and claiming that is proof they did, is what got the thread where it is.

Here are some sources indicating they wanted to do it.

More talk in Cleveland of the Browns trading for Jimmy Garoppolo

NFL Rumors: Cleveland Browns would give up No. 12 pick for Jimmy Garoppolo

The Browns reportedly have a 'dream scenario' that would involve a big trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

Those first 3 are what the reporter you were talking about said and indicated Mary Kay Cabot was told this rather than making it up. Here are some others

Browns will still try to trade for Jimmy Garoppolo, source says, and now have extra 2nd rounder

Jimmy Garoppolo Trade Rumors: Browns Inquired About QB During 1st Round of Draft

Both Browns and Patriots blew it with lack of Jimmy Garoppolo trade on draft day

It seems Cleveland called the Patriots in round 1 about JG but were told no. To me that seems to indicate there is a lot of truth the the sources which indicated the #12 pick was in play as you don't call a team during day 1 to talk about day 2 matters. That just isn't done. Also the #12 pick was mentioned by reports after the phone calls were made. Not speculation but sources. So I do think Cleveland wanted JG and was willing to give up the 12th to do it.

@robertweathers

I feel for you man. You seem to be getting treated badly in this thread and I don't see why. Well I do I suppose... Sometimes you even mention the fact BB might move on from Brady and people freak out. If you try to bring up anything that says it could be a possibility they get angry. I think on the whole you have been pretty fair with your thoughts in this thread IMO. I don't agree on every single point but i rarely agree with every single point with anyway :p

Doesn't mean we need to jump down each others throats about it.

Also personally i think it was clear the Browns were more than willing to trade the #12 pick for JG and it was reported by multiple sources. When there is so much smoke it is hard to believe there was no fire.

I'm totally fine with disagreement and debate and I don't take it personally. I've been on this board for a decade now and know what to expect. :)

No I choose to not believe the meaning you created out of thin air.

Because I believe she has a tremendous amount of familiarity with the situation, I believe her reporting and how she is couching it.
No you don't. You dismiss her reporting which was very specific. She specific said if the patriots would take 12 she thinks the browns MAY CONSIDER IT.
First there is no need to "couch" and secondly if she felt that need she would say "I think the browns are offering #12". Saying something entirely different is not couching, it's saying something entirely different.

And therein lies the problem. You want to believe something and despite every fact staring you in the face that there is no proof of it whatsoever you twist and make things up because you won't back down.

Yiy said she STATED 12 was offered. A few times.
Instead of admitting that us wrong you moved the goalposts to say she really did because you know what she meant when she said something else.

Maybe they did offer 12. In not saying they didn't. But there is no proof whatsoever that they did and what has been accepted as proof is an opinion that doesn't even say in her opinion they did.

Andy- I like you but I'm done with this argument. You aren't going to accept my view of how she conveyed the Browns offering #12.

You need to see in plain english, "The Browns offered #12".

I don't.

Here are some sources indicating they wanted to do it.

More talk in Cleveland of the Browns trading for Jimmy Garoppolo

NFL Rumors: Cleveland Browns would give up No. 12 pick for Jimmy Garoppolo

The Browns reportedly have a 'dream scenario' that would involve a big trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

Those first 3 are what the reporter you were talking about said and indicated Mary Kay Cabot was told this rather than making it up. Here are some others

Browns will still try to trade for Jimmy Garoppolo, source says, and now have extra 2nd rounder

Jimmy Garoppolo Trade Rumors: Browns Inquired About QB During 1st Round of Draft

Both Browns and Patriots blew it with lack of Jimmy Garoppolo trade on draft day

It seems Cleveland called the Patriots in round 1 about JG but were told no. To me that seems to indicate there is a lot of truth the the sources which indicated the #12 pick was in play as you don't call a team during day 1 to talk about day 2 matters. That just isn't done. Also the #12 pick was mentioned by reports after the phone calls were made. Not speculation but sources. So I do think Cleveland wanted JG and was willing to give up the 12th to do it.
I think maybe you don't understand the discussion.
I am not saying the browns were not interested in JAG. I am saying there is no proof that the 12th was offered.
You are just rehashing people thinking the browns need Igor be willing to offer it.

The closest you come is some guy saying it was reported but no one can find the report (I'm pretty certain he conflated the same speculation)

To use "we could have had #12 and turned it down" is not proven by speculation someone might be willing to propose that trade it's proven by the trade actually being proposed.

Robert weathers tried to argue it was stated the the offer was made. It wasn't. That was my point of contention. Tossing around lots of speculation that they might be willing to doesn't make suddenly confirmed.

Andy- I like you but I'm done with this argument. You aren't going to accept my view of how she conveyed the Browns offering #12.
Because she didn't. She didn't even say they might. She said if asked they would consider.
You said she STATED they offered it.
You have to make up what you read in her mind to reach to your conclusion.

You need to see in plain english, "The Browns offered #12".

I don't.

Yes to prove someone said that something happened you need them to say in plain English that it happened.

Saying it would be considered and then creating this false reality that you know she means it was offered but for some reason must speak in code and say something entirely different is ridiculous.

I think maybe you don't understand the discussion.
I am not saying the browns were not interested in JAG. I am saying there is no proof that the 12th was offered.
You are just rehashing people thinking the browns need Igor be willing to offer it.

The closest you come is some guy saying it was reported but no one can find the report (I'm pretty certain he conflated the same speculation)

To use "we could have had #12 and turned it down" is not proven by speculation someone might be willing to propose that trade it's proven by the trade actually being proposed.

Robert weathers tried to argue it was stated the the offer was made. It wasn't. That was my point of contention. Tossing around lots of speculation that they might be willing to doesn't make suddenly confirmed.

Well in the sporting news link it said "Cleveland reportedly tried to ship the No. 12 overall pick to New England for Garoppolo..."

To me that means Cleveland tried to trade there 12th pick for JG. I don't see any other way to interpret it. If you are asking will Cleveland admit it then I doubt they have officially but teams hate to admit things like that officially.

It is academic what Cleveland offered or didn't offer. The reality is that Belichick DID NOT TRADE Garrapollo.

He would have to be pretty stupid to trade him when he makes less then 1 million per year, only to have to sign a poorer backup for $ 4 to 8 million per year in 2017.

Regardless of what happens in the future, BB solved the problem optimally for 2017.

Why do you continue to beat a dead horse?

Anyone else skip a few pages hoping it had all ended and left with the crushing disapointment of reading yet more really interesting back and forth about Lord knows what?

Or just me? I need to know I'm not alone

Well in the sporting news link it said "Cleveland reportedly tried to ship the No. 12 overall pick to New England for Garoppolo..."

To me that means Cleveland tried to trade there 12th pick for JG. I don't see any other way to interpret it. If you are asking will Cleveland admit it then I doubt they have officially but teams hate to admit things like that officially.
And that is closer than the other examples but someinevwriting an article saying they "reportedly" did something is useless without the report. It's just another rumor.

If someone actually REPORTED that they offered the 12 then I believe it happened. Someone writing that it reportedly happened is not the same thing. Surely you can understand that.

Because she didn't. She didn't even say they might. She said if asked they would consider.
You said she STATED they offered it.
You have to make up what you read in her mind to reach to your conclusion.

Yes to prove someone said that something happened you need them to say in plain English that it happened.

Saying it would be considered and then creating this false reality that you know she means it was offered but for some reason must speak in code and say something entirely different is ridiculous.

It is not ridiculous. She said "likely" because neither org would confirm if it was offered.

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns will still try to trade for Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, league sources tell cleveland.com, and they now have an extra second-round pick in 2018 to pull it off.

The Browns will likely be willing to part with their No. 12 overall pick this year for Garoppolo, and at least one of the second-round picks next year.

It is not ridiculous. She said "likely" because neither org would confirm if it was offered.
Listen to what you just said.
You says the proof that #12 was offered is that a reporter felt it was likely and used likely because she couldn't confirm with anyone that they were willing to.

This is no more than "The Browns like garoppolo they need a QB they have the 12th pick and they may not like any QB on the board at 12 so maybe they will trade 12 for garoppolo".

I think your issue is yiubhave the mistaken idea that the team feels a need to let Mary Kay Cabot in on their trade negotiations so you think she knows stuff she doesn't. She is speculating.

Listen to what you just said.
You says the proof that #12 was offered is that a reporter felt it was likely and used likely because she couldn't confirm with anyone that they were willing to.

This is no more than "The Browns like garoppolo they need a QB they have the 12th pick and they may not like any QB on the board at 12 so maybe they will trade 12 for garoppolo".

I think your issue is yiubhave the mistaken idea that the team feels a need to let Mary Kay Cabot in on their trade negotiations so you think she knows stuff she doesn't. She is speculating.

What benefit do the Browns and Pats see in confirming with a reporter on the record what the nature of the trade discussions have been?

Think about it.

Garopollo has 3-4 games worth of play (96 career attempts) and a QB rating of 106.2, and he has looked the part using the all mighty "eye test". Yes, I acknowledge it is a tiny sample size, but the problem with proven quarterbacks is they are staying with their current team. I've been singing this tune a long time: THE BROWNS SHOULD HAVE ABSOLUTELY GIVEN UP THE #1 OVERALL PICK FOR JG. Of course, the Patriots wanted additional picks (may have been conditional), but according to all sources, the #1 overall pick made it a non-starter.

Meanwhile, the Bears are desperately applying lipstick to a pig named Mike Glennon, while other teams are drafting mid-round QBs in the top 15.

From the beginning the Pats (through Adam Schefter) said that they weren't trading JG, and they didn't.

I would rather have no accolades if it means there are fewer distractions that decrease our chance of winning at the end of the season. I'm sure Belichick thinks the same thing and would shoot down whatever Kraft proposes. Having special ceremonies for a player who is trying to get ready for the game flies in the face of everything our team stands for.

There'll be plenty of time for retiring Brady's number, inducting him into our HoF, and whatever else, after he's done and Jimmy G or whoever else is our starting QB. There will be a special Brady night every year after he retires for the foreseeable future. Probably when we play the Jets like we seem to do with Bruschi nights.

Troy Brown had his night for the Jets game in 2008.

From the beginning the Pats (through Adam Schefter) said that they weren't trading JG, and they didn't.

They were willing to trade him for a king's ransom, which they knew no one would pay. Maybe it's semantics. The Browns did have the draft capital to acquire him.

What benefit do the Browns and Pats see in confirming with a reporter on the record what the nature of the trade discussions have been?

Think about it.
What benefit do they have in telling a reporter what they are going to offer?

But as you say they wouldn't confirm so you have no proof whatsoever what they offered which has been my point all along.

What benefit do they have in telling a reporter what they are going to offer?

But as you say they wouldn't confirm so you have no proof whatsoever what they offered which has been my point all along.
Correct. There is no upside to tell her which is why she framed it as such.

I'm going to continue to say the same thing again and again.

Move on.

Correct. There is no upside to tell her which is why she framed it as such.

I'm going to continue to say the same thing again and again.

Move on.
Which means they didn't tell her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back