PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill and Bob's Excellence Adventure

What I mean by "fine" is; they are not far away from being a playoff contender. Of course the offense this year struggled with terrible QB play and lots of injuries on the O-line and at the WR position. BB will be the best coach to take a crack at correcting the issues if he wants to stick around.
I was thinking that IF Bill leaves that a former player might relate better, or a college coach who has a better grasp on the players coming out. That worked well for Pete Carroll and the Seahawks when he came back.

Its clear best possible outcome
Bill agrees to give up GM duties and stays as head coach until he breaks Shula’s record
Kraft brings in experienced personnel director (eg Ziegler, Lombardi, Pioli)
Bill focuses on coaching
Kraft come out smelling like roses.
Turmoil with offensive coaching staff. BB faking the search for OC. Overruling BoB on bringing in his own staff over his own guys. Cheapening out on the OL and skill players.

This is why Bill can't stay even with someone else at GM. It won't work. Bill is too set in his ways and will sabotage any decision made by others.

Turmoil with offensive coaching staff. BB faking the search for OC. Overruling BoB on bringing in his own staff over his own guys. Cheapening out on the OL and skill players.

This is why Bill can't stay even with someone else at GM. It won't work. Bill is too set in his ways and will sabotage any decision made by others.

Yeah it was an interesting read.

Bill didn’t want to pay for real OL talent? Shocking…

The best outcome for whom?

And why is it important that Bill get's to break Shula's record? At the rate he's going he'll have to be here for 3 or 4 more years to accomplish that.

They both come out smelling like roses if they have an amicable split.
You're the one that said "The best outcome for both of them."

Why would you then question the best outcome for Bill (breaking Shula's record)? This is his goal.

It can end amicably only if he agrees to give Kraft some of the money Kraft owes him. But he's not going to give all of that money back, and he's certainly not going to agree to a contract that allows Kraft to trade him.

What I mean by "fine" is; they are not far away from being a playoff contender. Of course the offense this year struggled with terrible QB play and lots of injuries on the O-line and at the WR position. BB will be the best coach to take a crack at correcting the issues if he wants to stick around.
I mean, they are merely a LT and a RT away from being decent

I was thinking that IF Bill leaves that a former player might relate better, or a college coach who has a better grasp on the players coming out. That worked well for Pete Carroll and the Seahawks when he came back.
I think BB relates fine to most players. There will always be personality difference, no matter who the coach is.
A solid or (ideally) a franchise type QB will solve a lot of the issues, not all. The defense that BB has built is on the edge of being elite, with a competent offense we can win a **** ton of games next year.

Black Monday. Make it happen.

I think they would look to trade him which means they would need an interested team to go thru the motions of the bylaws of the head coach interviewing process before anyone could hire him.

I will be looking extra hard at Mayo, and Vrabels activity while we wait.

Last edited:
I think they would look to trade him which means they would need a interested freak to go thru the motions of the bylaws of the head coach interviewing process before anyone could hire him.

I will be looking extra hard at Mayo, and Vrabels activity while we wait.
Are you saying that only a freak would be interested in hiring Belichick? I can see that.

I'm pretty sure you are being sarcastic...
But a consistent O-Line would definitely be a good start. the stat I read during last week's game was that the Patriots have used 9 different starting lineups this year. The Bills had the same O-line all year. That is a huge difference for trying to run a productive offense. So, yeah, even just a healthy RT and LT would make them "decent" but get a stud or two and this team will be a playoff team (providing they upgrade the QB position).

But a consistent O-Line would definitely be a good start. the stat I read during last week's game was that the Patriots have used 9 different starting lineups this year. The Bills had the same O-line all year. That is a huge difference for trying to run a productive offense. So, yeah, even just a healthy RT and LT would make them "decent" but get a stud or two and this team will be a playoff team (providing they upgrade the QB position).
Why was the OL changed from 2021 (#9)?
Why wasn't it fixed in 2022?
Why wasn't it fixed in 2023?

This offense needs too many parts to be "fixed" enough to make it a playoff team.

Free agents: Henry, Gesicki, P. Brown, Bourne, T. Brown, Onwenu, Elliott.

Those are most of our best offensive players. So you need: QB1, TE1, TE2, TE3, WR1, WR2, RB2, LT, RT, OL depth.

You can re-sign some of them but that'll still cost you cap space. There aren't many good UFA choices at LT or TE. Receivers will want to get paid. That leaves the draft to acquire: QB1, LT, WR1, TE1. Then pray they all hit. Good luck with that.

Why was the OL changed from 2021 (#9)?
Why wasn't it fixed in 2022?
Why wasn't it fixed in 2023?

This offense needs too many parts to be "fixed" enough to make it a playoff team.

Free agents: Henry, Gesicki, P. Brown, Bourne, T. Brown, Onwenu, Elliott.

Those are most of our best offensive players. So you need: QB1, TE1, TE2, TE3, WR1, WR2, RB2, LT, RT, OL depth.

You can re-sign some of them but that'll still cost you cap space. There aren't many good UFA choices at LT or TE. Receivers will want to get paid. That leaves the draft to acquire: QB1, LT, WR1, TE1. Then pray they all hit. Good luck with that.
That is why I want BB to make those choices. I think he is the best person to identify the holes and address them. Hopefully BB wants to stay and finish the rebuild.

You don't like Onwenu?

I'd say they are a QB, LT and WR away from being a top contender

That has more to do with injuries though.

I still say that Strange, Andrews, Sow, Onwenu is more than good enough for an OL. If Trent Brown was locked in, this would've been fine.

Injuries and Trent Brown being such a headcase doomed them.

I agree they should have known he was a problem. They did know. But they had no choice, the same way that Trent Brown is the #1 LT free agent this coming offseason.

Players relate well to winners and people with credibility.

Pete Carroll was so buddy buddy with players, he related so well to them, that they disrespected him.

I can clearly remember Terry Glenn shaking his head at hime and deliberately disrespecting him.

Come to think of it, this has been common through Carroll's career. I can name several Seahawks who showed him up on the sidelines even during their championship years.

That has more to do with injuries though.

I still say that Strange, Andrews, Sow, Onwenu is more than good enough for an OL. If Trent Brown was locked in, this would've been fine.

Injuries and Trent Brown being such a headcase doomed them.

I agree they should have known he was a problem. They did know. But they had no choice, the same way that Trent Brown is the #1 LT free agent this coming offseason.
I'm wondering when Andrews will hang them up. I hope he has a year or two left in him to anchor the line for a bit.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back