PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Barnwell article on how we got here

Most of those are personnel decisions- things such as timeout usage or FG decisions are on par with the questionable decisions he's made over the years, in the past. We had quite a number of sloppy penalties, mistakes, and many players checking out in 2009 when BB lost control of the team. That was the year we had Adalius Thomas.

But the decision to bench Mac right before the last drive is something that stands out as an outlier to me. If we have more moments like those, then I will consider that his acument is not the same as before.
Back in 2009 he was 50 something years old and still had Brady to drive the message home in the locker room. Without a driving force in the locker room his message is no longer landing. Everyone (including Bill) talks about how hard it is to play here. Do people still want to deal with the difficulty of playing here while being 2-8?

The decision to bench Mac when he did set up Zappe for failure and likely finished Mac's career here as a starter. Bill has set up Mac for failure with the Patricia OC experiment and then again this year by not investing in the offense. He also continually seems to set up Zappe for failure by throwing him into games where we're already down multiple scores. If Bill is done with Mac then give the next guy time to prepare throughout the week as the starter. Give him starter reps in practice and if he falls on his face then at least it is completely on that specific quarterback.

I really don't think Bill will relinquish GM responsibilities. So if he won't step down this might get worse before it gets better.

I really don't think Bill will relinquish GM responsibilities. So if he won't step down this might get worse before it gets better.
With all the posturing going on through the backchannels to the media I think the groundwork is being laid for Bill's exit. The report of Bill's "multi-year contract extension" could be read two ways:

Bill leaked the info as a message to Kraft. "You're going to pay me regardless if I am coaching here or not."

Kraft leaked the info as a message to Bill and the other 31 franchises that if Bill is going to be coaching elsewhere next year the Patriots will need to be compensated in order for a new team to acquire him.

With more and more smoke developing around the fire that is Bill coaching elsewhere next year I am leaning towards the latter. We learned with Brady that no matter what the league does there is going to be tampering when it becomes clear a guy has run his course with his current team and I would be shocked if Bill's camp hasn't already put out feelers and had conversations with a couple of potential teams about his future and Kraft caught wind of it.

For the sake of his sons, I think he caves and gives up GM duties if Bob wants it. The rumor is he goes to LA, but I highly doubt the Chargers fire Telesco so Bill can also be the GM. Telesco is not the problem.

The last 3 drafts have been ok, with Mac Jones being the difference between a good and bad grade. And when we picked him, it's not like we missed on some other great QB we could have taken. He still could turn out to be ok, though he's really underperformed in the rz all year.

It's a fine line between 2-8 and 6-4. Injuries have been the main story, we've had just enough of them, especially at OL but also at WR, to screw up most games. Together with some untimely mistakes: Boutte's feet, Parker's drop, Mac's underthrow. We beat the Bills and the Jets, and pressed Miami (twice) + Philly to the end. We're not a dumpster fire, 6 of the 8 losses were close games.

BB & staff should stay. We have a solid D, and can fill in the pieces we need on offense between FA and the draft. Can't say where the rest of this season is going, but we're not capable of winning 7 in a row vs the Chargers, @Steelers, Chiefs, @Broncos, and @Bills, so I'd rather we end up 3-14 and pick top 3 or 4. Cinci, Miami, and the Jags have turned it around cause they had top 3 picks.

The decision to bench Mac when he did set up Zappe for failure and likely finished Mac's career here as a starter. Bill has set up Mac for failure with the Patricia OC experiment and then again this year by not investing in the offense. He also continually seems to set up Zappe for failure by throwing him into games where we're already down multiple scores. If Bill is done with Mac then give the next guy time to prepare throughout the week as the starter. Give him starter reps in practice and if he falls on his face then at least it is completely on that specific quarterback.

I agree with this.

The last 3 drafts have been ok, with Mac Jones being the difference between a good and bad grade.
Whether Jones was good or not, the last 3 drafts have been atrocious which has been par for the course the last 10 years.

I like the article but disagree with his point on keeping Bill. Barnwell seemed to go over two dozen reasons why Bill has failed at the rebuild but then inexplicably thinks he should come back with some changes in place.
Felger thinks Mayo is going to be the head coach next year. I'm willing to give him a chance, but God I hope he brings his own coaching style and philosophy and doesn't try to emulate BB.

Offensively I'd love to see us Implement something other than the EP system for a change.

Madden auto draft would have done better than Bill
I find it hard to believe out of 10 drafts, you could only draft one player on offense or defense who was worthy to make a Pro Bowl or All Pro. Thuney was the only player to make 2nd team All Pro in 2019.

The only other All Pro’s were a punter (cut shortly after) and a kick returner.

The Pats were sitting in a goldmine with elite players there for the taking in 2018 and 2019, but were passed up. One in particular made it clear he wanted to play for them (AJ Brown).

Anyone on this board could’ve drafted better.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe out of 10 drafts, you could only draft one player on offense or defense who was worthy to make a Pro Bowl or All Pro. Thuney was the only player to make 2nd team All Pro in 2019.

The only other All Pro’s were a punter (cut shortly after) and a kick returner.

The Pats were sitting in an goldmine with elite players there for the taking in 2018 and 2019, but were passed up. One in particular made it clear he wanted to play for them (AJ Brown).

Anyone on this board could’ve drafted better.
Probably could have taken an aggregate of mock drafts and just picked one of those guys each year and it would've worked better.

Felger thinks Mayo is going to be the head coach next year. I'm willing to give him a chance, but God I hope he brings his own coaching style and philosophy and doesn't try to emulate BB.

Offensively I'd love to see us Implement something other than the EP system for a change.
I guess out of any Belichick disciple I would pick Mayo but I really wouldn't love it. I especially wouldn't love it because I think Josh would be back as OC (unless he foes where ever Bill does) and I don't want a whole coaching staff of Bill guys. I just want to start fresh but I get how hard it can be for the Kraft's to completely break away from some that worked so well for so long.

Last edited:
The last 3 drafts have been ok, with Mac Jones being the difference between a good and bad grade. And when we picked him, it's not like we missed on some other great QB we could have taken. He still could turn out to be ok, though he's really underperformed in the rz all year.

It's a fine line between 2-8 and 6-4. Injuries have been the main story, we've had just enough of them, especially at OL but also at WR, to screw up most games. Together with some untimely mistakes: Boutte's feet, Parker's drop, Mac's underthrow. We beat the Bills and the Jets, and pressed Miami (twice) + Philly to the end. We're not a dumpster fire, 6 of the 8 losses were close games.

BB & staff should stay. We have a solid D, and can fill in the pieces we need on offense between FA and the draft. Can't say where the rest of this season is going, but we're not capable of winning 7 in a row vs the Chargers, @Steelers, Chiefs, @Broncos, and @Bills, so I'd rather we end up 3-14 and pick top 3 or 4. Cinci, Miami, and the Jags have turned it around cause they had top 3 picks.
Lol what? Last year's draft class could very well top the 2019 class for Bill's worst all time.

Strange has been below average at best. Tyquan Thornton may end up being the worst early receiver Bill has taken and that is saying something. Marcus Jones is an excellent kick returner but below average corner who likely won't be big enough to play there anyways. Jack Jones was cut. Zappe was cut and they've been doing everything they can to replace him with someone else. Pierre Strong was frivolously traded away for a bag of beans and the late round picks either have been cut or can't get on the field at positions we need.

2022 produced Barmore who looks to be living up to the potential he showed in his rookie year. Stevenson isn't having a great year and the rest of that draft has all been cut or traded.

2021 is one of Bill's better drafts in a while.

There was reporting saying that he thought Brady would just accept whatever he was offered and was surprised that he did not. That he assumed Brady would not want to start again at 42 somewhere else.
He was so sure that Brady would stay that he had no other QB to backup a 42 year old. Woops.
And we still don't have even an average QB 4 years later. Double woops.

Never assume. If you do you make an ass out of yourself if you're wrong.

I guess out of any Belichick disciple I would pick Mayo but I really wouldn't love it. I especially wouldn't love it because I think Josh would be back as OC (unless he foes where ever Bill does) and I don't want a whole coaching staff of Bill guys. I just want to start fresh but I get how hard it can be for the Kraft's to completely break away from some that worked so well for so long.
Kraft had no trouble completely breaking away from Brady. Maybe that move has him gun shy about breaking away from Bill now.

Kraft had no trouble completely breaking away from Brady. Maybe that move has him gun shy about breaking away from Bill now.
I think he did have a problem with it but deferred to Bill. Bet on the wrong guy so who knows how that factors in.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back