PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Barnwell article on how we got here

“If another general manager had Belichick's past eight classes of drafts on his résumé, he would be out of a job”
This kinda coincides with when he said something akin to "From now on I'm only going to get people/players I want to coach"

Does anyone recall that? Wish I had the exact quote and date.

The double-up around halftime was once a thing New England opponents feared on a weekly basis. Now, it's a pleasant surprise when the Pats score twice in an entire game.

Indeed.

Interesting to see the take that it's a waste of time to play anyone else other than Jones for the last 7 games and then he is playing for his job in 2024- I agree with that but Jones still needs to sit now and get out of the spotlight and away from the criticism for at least a couple of games IMO. It shouldn't be that controversial.

Pretty damning article about BB though. The writing is on the wall. Time to go.

I know the usual suspects will complain about it but I think it is a pretty good in depth article. If anything I think Barnwell goes easy on a few of the bad picks like Cole Strange and Malcolm Brown.

The decisions that led to this Patriots catastrophe: Barnwell on how they could get back on track
Strange is probably a ok-ish starter right now, certainly better than other guys on that line but that's about it. He still has a lot of problems with his technique for a first round pick. Needs development. Wouldn't matter as much or maybe not at all if he was a 3rd round pick.

Bill pretty much nails what many of us have been saying for years.

As much I think BB's drafts from 2014 to now have been GM/HC killing bad overall, Malcolm Brown wasn't that bad. He started every year he was with the Patriots and I never saw him singled out in being a glaring weakness at DT. I'm also pretty sure he was mocked to the Pats so, the pick wasn't a surprise. I also remember the Colts taking heat for picking Dorsett over shoring up the defense with Brown.

Strange is probably a ok-ish starter right now, certainly better than other guys on that line but that's about it. He still has a lot of problems with his technique for a first round pick. Needs development. Wouldn't matter as much or maybe not at all if he was a 3rd round pick.
I think he was picked to be a guard for the ill-fated stretch run experiment and is now too undersized to play guard in the current iteration of the offense. With that being said he wasn't good last year either. The run game he has been okay but pass protection he has been a liability. Deforest Bucker is a good player but when you draft a guard in the first he should be able to hold his own against good players. Strange couldn't. He got abused and embarrassed.

This kinda coincides with when he said something akin to "From now on I'm only going to get people/players I want to coach"

Does anyone recall that? Wish I had the exact quote and date.
I have been referring to this to the point that I have gotten the horse beat out of me. (get it?) To much emphasis on Bill getting Bill Type Guys and not enough emphasis on getting best athletes available.

I think he was picked to be a guard for the ill-fated stretch run experiment and is now too undersized to play guard in the current iteration of the offense. With that being said he wasn't good last year either. The run game he has been okay but pass protection he has been a liability. Deforest Bucker is a good player but when you draft a guard in the first he should be able to hold his own against good players. Strange couldn't. He got abused and embarrassed.
1st pass play of the game Buckner ran through Strange like he wasn’t even there. He was in Mac’s face within a second.

I know the usual suspects will complain about it but I think it is a pretty good in depth article. If anything I think Barnwell goes easy on a few of the bad picks like Cole Strange and Malcolm Brown.

The decisions that led to this Patriots catastrophe: Barnwell on how they could get back on track

Thoughtful article, but I’m not seeing his solution. Groh and BB have already started to prioritize speed in both the secondary and offensive skill positions: Marcus Jones, Thornton, Gonzo, etc. BB once built a formidable staff and FO. Not sure he can do that anymore,

Bill and the draft have been oil and water for far too long.

When he took Jordan Richards in the second round in 2014 from Stanford, I knew there was a problem. I watched Richards get smoked in the Rose Bowl on a Stanford goal line stand by Michigan State’s Jeremy Langford, a rb taken in the fourth round by the Bears, even though Richards had the angle. I saw Richards spaz, play with bad instincts, and possess marginal athleticism. Great guy tho.

People here who knew nothing about the player reflexively defended BB.

I suspected as much in 2012 when he reached for Tavon Wilson from Illinois in the second. At least Wilson had nfl athleticism.

Kraft did Belichick a disservice letting him run the show on the drafts from 2015 onwards. Plenty of blame to go around. Jonathan Kraft, why didn’t you wake up from your sleepwalking? Did you try and pops put the kabash on bringing in a real GM?

I have been referring to this to the point that I have gotten the horse beat out of me. (get it?) To much emphasis on Bill getting Bill Type Guys and not enough emphasis on getting best athletes available.
Idk about all of that. He’s been drafting quite a few of the best athletes available lately. It hasnt translated to the field. Look at guys like TT and Pierre Strong. Phenomenal athletes that didn’t produce.

His solution is to keep Bill. Not seeing how that works.

Neither do I... Very disappointed when I read that line, especially after reading all of the examples he had just given about why Bill AND Al Groh's kid should be Fired.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back