PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Barnwell article on how we got here

I find it hard to believe out of 10 drafts, you could only draft one player on offense or defense who was worthy to make a Pro Bowl or All Pro. Thuney was the only player to make 2nd team All Pro in 2019.
Luckily Bill got rid of Thuney before he had to give him what he's worth. Whatever that figure is the Chiefs are glad to be paying it.

Luckily Bill got rid of Thuney before he had to give him what he's worth. Whatever that figure is the Chiefs are glad to be paying it.
From what I read he will probably be an all pro this year.

Felger thinks Mayo is going to be the head coach next year. I'm willing to give him a chance, but God I hope he brings his own coaching style and philosophy and doesn't try to emulate BB.

Offensively I'd love to see us Implement something other than the EP system for a change.

You know who I'd love to see Kraft bring in? Flores.

The guy is a defensive tactical genius and a solid HC. He knows how to get players to play for him. He posted the first back to back winning seasons for Miami in over 20 years despite Ross pushing him hard to tank, offering him $100k for every L.

You know who I'd love to see Kraft bring in? Flores.

The guy is a defensive tactical genius and a solid HC. He knows how to get players to play for him. He posted the first back to back winning seasons for Miami in over 20 years despite Ross pushing him hard to tank, offering him $100k for every L.
I agree about Flores. The only issue with him is he is an extreme hardass. More so than Bill.
Maybe with more experience under his belt now he can temper that a bit.

This kinda coincides with when he said something akin to "From now on I'm only going to get people/players I want to coach"

Does anyone recall that? Wish I had the exact quote and date.
Turns out the quote wasn't hard to find. From 2017, as described by Urban Meyer after a coaching clinic where he and Belichick talked:

“I started asking him about it and he made this point to me and I shared it with our team. He said, ‘At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around and that’s it.’ He said, ‘I’m not going to coach anybody else.'”

And man, reading that gave me a sense of dread at the time. Kept drinking my coolaid but that quote always stayed with me, and not in a good way.

There was reporting saying that he thought Brady would just accept whatever he was offered and was surprised that he did not. That he assumed Brady would not want to start again at 42 somewhere else.
I don't know why many people don't look into the Seth wickersham material. It's very good. It's first hand info from TB and the organization.

From what I read he will probably be an all pro this year.
That means that Bill has drafted and dumped more all pros than he drafted and kept. He might be pitching a shutout on that stupidity.

With each passing day it looks more and more like the Pats are tanking. How else can we explain the drain on talent that's been going on?

Yes it was a pretty damn good book. He was pretty objective- didn't take sides.
Yes, it was accurate as you can get about everything that has transpired . As it's coming directly from the mouths of everyone involved

2024 Patriots is clear to me having read the article and this thread:

HC Brian Flores
GM Eliot Wolf

2024 Patriots is clear to me having read the article and this thread:

HC Brian Flores
GM Eliot Wolf
I like that.. it's likely to be mayo and a whole youth movement. This roster is a circa 2000- 2001 roster.

I don't know why many people don't look into the Seth wickersham material. It's very good. It's first hand info from TB and the organization.
Simple - a lot of people believe in fairy tales and don't like getting told they are not real.

There is a reason most people in the world believe in religion - many different relions. Yet they don't stop to think how can there be so many when mine is obviously the real one?

Turns out the quote wasn't hard to find. From 2017, as described by Urban Meyer after a coaching clinic where he and Belichick talked:

“I started asking him about it and he made this point to me and I shared it with our team. He said, ‘At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around and that’s it.’ He said, ‘I’m not going to coach anybody else.'”

And man, reading that gave me a sense of dread at the time. Kept drinking my coolaid but that quote always stayed with me, and not in a good way.
Agreed! All you have to do is look at this roster.. filled with special teams, try-hards, and underacheivers. So I guess he really likes JC Jackson.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back