PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next 3 games are huge now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people overrate the Dolphins and Ravens. Both teams are 7-6 for a reason. I know both have been playing better recently, but partly because of their competition.

The Dolphins should have lost this past weekend against a bad Steelers team except that Antonio Brown accidentally stepped out of bounds untouched on what would have been the game winning TD.

The Ravens barely beat a bad Vikings team at home this weekend where Adrian Peterson went out of the game early. And all their talk about their offense rebounding with Pitta back is overstated since one TD drive was a 25 drive off a turnover by Toby Geirhart subbing for AD and another was a Jacoby Jones kick return for TD. Take those away and they score 15 offensive points against a team that gives up 30.4 PPG. And barely beat a bad Steelers team the week before.

Granted if the Pats don't fix their first half of games slow starts, they could lose to either or both teams. But if the Pats go into both games clicking on offense from the start, I think the Pats win confidentially with both. Even without Gronk, I think the Pats are significantly better than both teams. I am hoping the loss of Gronk is a rallying point and Belichick uses the disrespect card to get the Pats start games more focused. If they do, I think the Pats go 3-0 the rest of the way and take HFA.

This is probably unpopular but I don't want the 1st seed. I have a feeling Chiefs will crush Indy, and that would mean them coming to our house in Round 2. (Unless 6th seed pulls out an upset)

#2 seed is the best option. We can win at Denver. I know we can. Think about it... let Denver/KC slug it out in Round 2. Knowing Peyton he might even choke and lose. And then the AFC Championship would be in New England regardless as long as we take care of business.

I like that scenario.

ibhp9OKg3ipOug.gif

I think people overrate the Dolphins and Ravens. Both teams are 7-6 for a reason. I know both have been playing better recently, but partly because of their competition.

The Dolphins should have lost this past weekend against a bad Steelers team except that Antonio Brown accidentally stepped out of bounds untouched on what would have been the game winning TD.

The Ravens barely beat a bad Vikings team at home this weekend where Adrian Peterson went out of the game early. And all their talk about their offense rebounding with Pitta back is overstated since one TD drive was a 25 drive off a turnover by Toby Geirhart subbing for AD and another was a Jacoby Jones kick return for TD. Take those away and they score 15 offensive points against a team that gives up 30.4 PPG. And barely beat a bad Steelers team the week before.

Granted if the Pats don't fix their first half of games slow starts, they could lose to either or both teams. But if the Pats go into both games clicking on offense from the start, I think the Pats win confidentially with both. Even without Gronk, I think the Pats are significantly better than both teams. I am hoping the loss of Gronk is a rallying point and Belichick uses the disrespect card to get the Pats start games more focused. If they do, I think the Pats go 3-0 the rest of the way and take HFA.

We barely beat an awful Houston team and a bad Browns team.

Barely beat still looks the same as convincingly beat in the win column.

Agreed.

But if one is going to criticize, as Rob was doing, that both Miami and Baltimore just "barely" beat bad teams just recently and thus people are overrating them, you also have to look at what the Pats have done recently.

Point being, those two teams, in the current scope of the AFC where there are no dominant teams, are pretty good.

Agreed.

But if one is going to criticize, as Rob was doing, that both Miami and Baltimore just "barely" beat bad teams just recently and thus people are overrating them, you also have to look at what the Pats have done recently.

Point being, those two teams, in the current scope of the AFC where there are no dominant teams, are pretty good.
TBH, I see the Super Bowl as a winnable contest for any team that makes the Playoffs. It's a matter of whether or not the slipper can cover the pumpkin come January/February.

TBH, I see the Super Bowl as a winnable contest for any team that makes the Playoffs. It's a matter of whether or not the slipper can cover the pumpkin come January/February.

This year more than any year I can remember. The way the Chargers were playing last night, they could make a run if they make it in.

we are good enough to win at road. and we can be bad enough lose at home.

it's all about bringing A game in january

which includes an end to crap play in first 1/2.

You guys are totally overlooking the most important aspect of getting the top seed. 2 home playoff games means that I get to go to two more fantastic football games (if they win the first one).

AFC Championship game at home is an unbelievable experience, especially if they win.

We barely beat the Saints too. We barely won our Superbowl games. Who cares?

It's the NFL. Winning is winning.

Coming back against the Saints, coming back against the Browns, coming back against the Broncos, taught us more about this team than Denver blowing out scrubs taught anyone about the 2013 Broncos.

Denver has the biggest home field advantage in football.

I'd rather play in Seattle.

Maybe this is because of the 50 consecutive losses the Patriots suffered there (it sure seemed like 50) but unless you've actually been to Denver, you might not have an appreciation for what happens to your body at that elevation. Headaches, nausea, dizziness, etc. One Charger kept coming out for oxygen. The Broncos have acclimated to it and it doesn't impact them. I run regularly (granted, only 3 or 4 miles) and I bike a lot. But walking up the big hill to the UC Boulder campus last month took its toll on me.

I never want to see the Patriots play AT Denver.

Home Field is huge, especially when you consider the weather and the wind. Brady has shown time and time again, that he can play in those conditions. He is incredible in snow!! You have to hand it to the Pats, they have lost 3 of their 4 best players, and yet can still clinch the #1 seed. When you consider that, I can't understand how TFB and BB are not considered the front runners for MVP and Coach of the Year!

Both Cleveland and Houston play teams tough.

Houston have lost a lot of close games against good teams. KC beat them 17-16. Indy beat them 27-24 and were down 21-3 at halftime.

And again, my whole premise is that if the Pats FIX their first half problems, they should have no problem beating them and IF THEY DON'T they could lose to either one or both Miami and Baltimore. The Pats barely beat Houston and Cleveland because the Pats offense spotted the other team multiple TD leads before they they woke up. I am saying if the Pats play a complete game or at least more of a complete game, they should beat the Dolphins and Ravens handily.

Agreed.

Except you are accusing me of doing something I didn't do. I did look at the Pats and I did say the Pats not showing up in the first half of games have been an issue and will be a significant issue if it isn't fixed in the next two games.

The Pats are one of the two or three best teams in the AFC and maybe the NFL when they are on even without Gronk. Their problem has been consistency. Now I don't think you can say the same thing about Baltimore and Miami.

Except you are accusing me of doing something I didn't do. I did look at the Pats and I did say the Pats not showing up in the first half of games have been an issue and will be a significant issue if it isn't fixed in the next two games.

The Pats are one of the two or three best teams in the AFC and maybe the NFL when they are on even without Gronk. Their problem has been consistency. Now I don't think you can say the same thing about Baltimore and Miami.

You can prefix any loss or anytime a team doesn't play well with an excuse. That's what you are doing with the Pats but you are not doing the same thing for the Ravens or Dolphins.

Consider this, Pats and Ravens have both been in 7 games decided by 3 points or less. Pats record is 6-1 while the Ravens is 3-4. A few bounces here or there is what is separating both teams from having a similar record.

With the way we've been playing lately and with no Gronk, i'll be happy just to get the second seed. I realistically see us lose at Baltimore, we need to be at home for the magical stuff to happen.

You can prefix any loss or anytime a team doesn't play well with an excuse. That's what you are doing with the Pats but you are not doing the same thing for the Ravens or Dolphins.

Consider this, Pats and Ravens have both been in 7 games decided by 3 points or less. Pats record is 6-1 while the Ravens is 3-4. A few bounces here or there is what is separating both teams from having a similar record.

If the Dolphins and Ravens problems were that they played like crap in the first half and then play elite in second halves, I would be saying the same things. The thing is that isn't their problems.

Not all close games are won the same way. The Pats' problem is the offense seems to sleep walk through the first half and not turn it on until they put themselves in a hole. That is fixable. The Ravens' problem is their offense sucks and they have absolutely no running game. That isn't nearly as fixable. The Dolphins' problem is their o-line (that has gotten better), poor decisions by Tannehill, and poor defensive play for long stretches. This is more correctable than Baltimore's issues, but not as correctable as NE's.

And for a few breaks, the Pats are just as much a few breaks from being 12-1 right now as they are at being 8-5 or 7-6. You can talk about how last second wins against the Browns and Saints could have gone the other way, but the Pats are also two questionable calls from potentially turning both the Jets and Panthers losses into wins.

Again, I am not saying the Pats will win both or either game. They need to fix their poor first half problems on offense. But unlike most of the problems with both the Dolphins and Ravens, it is a problem that can be fixed overnight.

I like Tom Brady to win on the road but I like the New England Patriots to win at home. The Patriots have a sniff. This is when they play their best football.

Can't wait.

In all honesty this whole patriots can't win on the road thing is nonsense. They've lost 3 close games on the road - two of them they should have won.

With denver losing..all we gotta do is win out and we have #1 seed.

I can't see this happening, unfortunately. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

I also couldn't see us beating Denver after we were down 24-0, or the Browns in the last minutes last week. So what the heck do I know? :snob:

This is probably unpopular but I don't want the 1st seed. I have a feeling Chiefs will crush Indy, and that would mean them coming to our house in Round 2. (Unless 6th seed pulls out an upset)

#2 seed is the best option. We can win at Denver. I know we can. Think about it... let Denver/KC slug it out in Round 2. Knowing Peyton he might even choke and lose. And then the AFC Championship would be in New England regardless as long as we take care of business.

I like that scenario.
Aside from whoever limps into the 6th seed, the Chiefs will be the easiest opponent.
Playing the AFCCG away is a huge disadvantage even if 'you know' we can win there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye