PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next 3 games are huge now

Status
Not open for further replies.
after reading Mr. Optimistic To Moss's sunny outlook for tomorrow's game ,I think I'll go down the road to the Atlantic Ocean and tear my ticket to shreds, jump in and swim to South America and take up soccer as a fan...krist

after reading Mr. Optimistic To Moss's sunny outlook for tomorrow's game ,I think I'll go down the road to the Atlantic Ocean and tear my ticket to shreds, jump in and swim to South America and take up soccer as a fan...krist

you do realize if you become soccer fan you have to riot every game right? you're not up to that

anyone who doesn't want the #1 seed in the playoffs is on crack. All playoff games at home where brady is unbelievable? or go on the road where the pats struggle...hmmm

I'll always take good health and a 6 seed over a #1 seed and a lengthy IR/injured list.

Let's put it this way. Which scenario would you say gives the Patriots a better chance of winnning the Super Bowl. A healthy Brady and Gronk and a 6 seed, or a #1 seed without Gronk?

This year, seeing as we already have the injuries, I'll be gung ho for them to get the #1 seed. And in fact this year I think it's critical. They need every advantage they can get.

But look over the list of recent Super Bowl winners and if the crack isn't too powerful, count how many were the #1 seed.

I'll take the #1 seed and Gronk out. Bye Week and just have to win 2 home games and your in the SB.

#6 seed puts you on the road for 3 straight weeks just to get to the SB.

But look over the list of recent Super Bowl winners and if the crack isn't too powerful, count how many were the #1 seed.

Seeing as we have never seen this team make a SB without a bye (1 or two)...says just how important they are to this team.

No one would rather want the #6 seed over #1....# 3 over # 1 ect

Just becasue recently teams that have been wildcard teams have won..doesn't mean you would rather want 5-6 then 1

Seeing as we have never seen this team make a SB without a bye (1 or two)...says just how important they are to this team.

No one would rather want the #6 seed over #1....stupid

^^^^^^^^^this, we need the bye bad.

you can scroll till the 29th min and listen for the only 2 mins. thats all it is...
in summary king asked eisen what is the story of the season in his opinion and eisen waxes poetic that its peyton manning. they are ging to be #1 seed and teams which he will see in the playoffs are not nearly equipped to beat him like the ravens were last yr. That he needs 6 TDs to break the record which king says he might have by halftime vs SD on thursday. Eisen concurs that manning has been a monster on Thursday night games on NFL network and they would love to have him on their set after the win and how is like michael jordan right now in terms of wanting to win it all etc etc..
All this before the Thursday night game and we know what happened...Both look incredibly stupid :-D. As Reiss says, current media is obsessed with the end game before everything is played out.

LOL! at Peter King for saying Peyton may break Brady's TD record by halftime vs. the Chargers on this past Thursday. Six TDs in a half is extremely rare. In fact, only Daryl Lamonica in 1969 ever passed 6 TDs in one half. Even before the game played out on Thursday, that was a stupid comment.

Of course now the story is shifted back to "can Peyton win in the cold?". He is 1-2 in the cold and 10-1 in games over 40 degrees this year which plays into his poor record in the cold.

No one would rather want the #6 seed over #1....# 3 over # 1 ect

Just becasue recently teams that have been wildcard teams have won..doesn't mean you would rather want 5-6 then 1

Under Belichick and Brady, the Pats been in the playoffs three times without a bye. One time the Pats were leading in the AFCCG with 1:02 left in the game and gave up a TD because a bogus call (face guarding call on Ellis Hobbs which isn't even a foul in the NFL) put the Colts on the one yardline. I don't know if that is good enough sample size to determine this team needs the bye.

I still believe it is all about getting hot in the playoffs. Most of the Super Bowl winners over the last decade were not the best team in the NFL. In fact, many of them barely even got into the playoffs. They just got hot at the right time.

I don't want the 6 seed because they have a better shot to win the Super Bowl that way. But all I care about is them getting in and getting hot around playoff time.

Under Belichick and Brady, the Pats been in the playoffs three times without a bye. One time the Pats were leading in the AFCCG with 1:02 left in the game and gave up a TD because a bogus call (face guarding call on Ellis Hobbs which isn't even a foul in the NFL) put the Colts on the one yardline. I don't know if that is good enough sample size to determine this team needs the bye.

I still believe it is all about getting hot in the playoffs. Most of the Super Bowl winners over the last decade were not the best team in the NFL. In fact, many of them barely even got into the playoffs. They just got hot at the right time.

I don't want the 6 seed because they have a better shot to win the Super Bowl that way. But all I care about is them getting in and getting hot around playoff time.

as long as they don't start down 14+ at half the next 3 weeks..that to me means they are as ready as they will ever be

As a fan watching QBs like Keenum and Campbell tear up your D...it's alarming. Very important for a D to have a shut down game here soon

With Gronk now gone. Not many are sold on the pats given their recent struggles of falling behind big in games. Denvers D sucks. But they still have a good O that can score at any point.

Manning in the cold FTW

Sold? I'm not sure I am seeing this unbridled optimism you are seeing (or, more accurately, imagining??). There are 3 games left in the season and then the Patriots will be playing in the playoffs.
So ok. Maybe, just maybe, the loss of Gronk will sink the Patriots. But is it homer glasses to believe the Patriots may put together a formula that gives them a shot? Is it homer glasses to look at the history of BB's Patriots to see they frequently find a way to be competitive no matter the circumstance? Have you noticed during some ugly moments this season when the Patriots were depleted personnel wise they made every game competitive?

If you want your fan-dom to be based a lack of hope? Have at it. What purpose that serves you considering you (and no one else) knows how the Patriots will play in the playoffs. I choose to see that unknown and be cautiously optimistic. I cannot even fathom taking the bleak view while investing so much time into the fan-dom.

Yes sold. The media is not sold on the pats. Bet you of pats had gronk that article sings a different tune

I was talking about the article about the broncos..

The pats are more flawed then the broncos right now due to injuries. But come playoffs we know how manning plays

In any other "regular" year (or as regular as it can be lately) I would agree that we don't necessarily need the bye. However, in this particular year, anyone who doesn't think we need to have 2 weeks rest to prepare for ONE home game to go to the AFCCG and let the chips fall where they may is delusional in my opinion.

1. This team has given up double digit deficits in its last 5/6 games, including leads to teams such as MIA (14-0), CAR (10-0), DEN (24-0), HOU (10-0), and CLE (12-0); many of them being mediocre NFL teams or worse. The only one of those 6 games where they didn't have a major deficit and start the game off down significantly was PIT, and even then they gave up a 2 TD lead like it was nothing.

2. 9 out of 10 games that they've been in this year where the score has been within a TD or less (7 pts) have come down to the very last minute or less of regulation or has gone into overtime. Sure, they have a 7-3 record in those 10 games (the most in over a decade, with 3 games still remaining), but these last 2 paragraphs certainly lead the average spectator to believe that they are having some SERIOUS luck. I'm not meaning to undermine their accomplishments by any means, and it's been great to see the resiliency of the current squad, but these aren't the kinds of victories that you can depend on in the playoffs when the competition stiffens tremendously. The MIA's, CLE's, and HOU's of the world aren't going to be there.

3. Since September when our defense was actually looking good, our last 8 games or exactly half a season, our defense has given up an average of close to 28 points per game. September is a LONG way off, our defense is entirely different, and let's face it...they pretty much suck on that side of the ball. I'm not saying that they don't have a good game or two in them, but having to not only continue to the regular season with no break, but also play a whole extra game while going on the road (against a top level competitor) isn't exactly setting up to be a winning situation for the 2013 Patriots team. In most part years it's been a Belichick staple that the defense improves as we head into the final stretch. This year it's the complete opposite. They've regressed and taken steps backwards.

4. To take this one step further, they are 1-3 in their last four road games. They look much more like the 2009 Patriots team who struggled on the road, than any of the recent teams of the past 2-3 yrs.

5. They now have to deal with starting over from scratch with their best offensive player aside from Brady gone, only this time there isn't any 12 ppg average defense to fall back on. Our offense was 1st in the league in many categories in the past 7 games with Gronk back, and it was the main factor that allowed us to be able to compete in all of the games that we were down 10+ points in. Only time will tell whether the trio of slow white guys named Edelman, Amendola, or Collie clogging up the initial 10 yds of the line of scrimmage down the middle (along with Mulligan, Devlin, and Hooman) can somehow keep defenses honest enough until the rookies come back. I never thought I'd see the day where I thought guys like Dobson and Thompkins would be so badly missed just to try and force the defense into playing a different type of scheme.

6. They've yet to be able to prove themselves capable of stopping the run, winning the battles in the trenches on either side of the ball, or getting much pressure on the QB. These are important aspects when you're heading into the playoffs, as is keeping the one player who is most important to your success healthy and upright on the offensive line. The injuries to Solder, Svitek, and Cannon certainly aren't helping, and the middle pressure allowed from guys such as Dan Connelly and Ryan Wendell isn't doing much to think that we'd be able to go on the road and play 4 games to win the SB.

7. There's been no consistency in the run game. Hopefully that will change if/when Ridley starts getting reps as the lead back again, although he hasn't exactly tore it up so far this year even when he has. They'll need to prove that they can actually run the ball effectively, especially with the uncertainly on offense with attempting to overcome the loss of Gronkowski. Until that happens, we're pretty much one-dimensional, and now we're one-dimensional without our biggest weapon. It doesn't exactly set up well for having to play without the bye week.

8. The obvious injury situation, which isn't just about the important players who aren't coming back, but also the players such as Talib, Arrington, Dennard, Gregory, Spikes, Solder, Dobson, Thompkins, and that isn't even including any injuries that Brady himself is keeping to himself. The ability to have an extra week of rest and a break between the regular season can't be stated enough. It's of the utmost importance.

Again, this isn't necessarily meaning to take away any of the wonderful accomplishments that the 2013 team has achieved, only to state the severe weaknesses that playing without the bye would give us.
This current team isn't suddenly going to overcome all of these problems and be an actual contender unless it gets that much needed bye week in my opinion. Then it's a whole different ballgame. Then it's simply win ONE game at home (which will be difficult enough in itself), and then play the AFCCG and hope for the best; but it's at least a much more viable thought that the other scenario.

Sold? I'm not sure I am seeing this unbridled optimism you are seeing (or, more accurately, imagining??). There are 3 games left in the season and then the Patriots will be playing in the playoffs.
So ok. Maybe, just maybe, the loss of Gronk will sink the Patriots. But is it homer glasses to believe the Patriots may put together a formula that gives them a shot? Is it homer glasses to look at the history of BB's Patriots to see they frequently find a way to be competitive no matter the circumstance? Have you noticed during some ugly moments this season when the Patriots were depleted personnel wise they made every game competitive?

If you want your fan-dom to be based a lack of hope? Have at it. What purpose that serves you considering you (and no one else) knows how the Patriots will play in the playoffs. I choose to see that unknown and be cautiously optimistic. I cannot even fathom taking the bleak view while investing so much time into the fan-dom.

Just to be crystal clear, especially after posting what will be deemed by some as a negative nancy post (although there's not a word that isn't true), it's just the debate between the bye week vs having to win one game at home to play in the AFCCG that is the argument.

There's not necessarily any pessimism involved, just what seems to be reality and common sense. Sure, none of us are going to "give up" or doubt that the team can make a run even if they don't get the bye, but if we're being totally honest with ourselves and our chances, having the bye makes it a 100% totally different ballgame, as our odds would literally shoot up dramatically.

This isn't the year to do the whole "other teams have done it before" dance. Other years, sure...this 2013 year, no.

Just to be crystal clear, especially after posting what will be deemed by some as a negative nancy post (although there's not a word that isn't true), it's just the debate between the bye week vs having to win one game at home to play in the AFCCG that is the argument.

There's not necessarily any pessimism involved, just what seems to be reality and common sense. Sure, none of us are going to "give up" or doubt that the team can make a run even if they don't get the bye, but if we're being totally honest with ourselves and our chances, having the bye makes it a 100% totally different ballgame, as our odds would literally shoot up dramatically.

This isn't the year to do the whole "other teams have done it before" dance. Other years, sure...this 2013 year, no.

The flawed posting method of jumping into a thread starting on the last page. My bad :)

Fyi, as of right now I'm not hot on our chances. They're better with the bye, obviously, but with either path I'm not super optimistic. I am keeping generally optimistic due to BB's historical ability to, sometimes, find a way.
And while the bye is never unimportant, in this instance I would trade the bye in favor of the Patriots finding a solid identity. As of right now I don't see a Patriots identity other than dig, scratch, figure it out as they go, just find a way to pull out a victory. And that will only work, imho, with an abundant amount of favorable critical bounces/situations. Hey, if I have to hang my hat on that? So be it. I'll enthusiastically do it/be enthusiastic about the playoffs. However, I'd much rather see health and an identity developed over the next 3 games. Something such as they've become consistently tough to pass on, consistent in their ability to put up 130+ rushing yards a game, the WR based passing game now clicks with a fair amount of 4 quarter consistency.
Of course I hope that happens during the 3 victories that are upcoming :D but I think the identity may be more important than getting 3 victories (especially as I believe Cincy will lose another game and give the Patriots a one loss cushion for getting a first round bye).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back