PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss Postgame Presser Meltdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't make **** about himself. The press asked him a question, and he answered it honestly. That should be admired.

I can't admire what he did. He came out from the first word he spoke and made it all about him and his contract situation. There are certain times to address these issues in certain forums and this really wasn't one of them. It was a post game press conference those are supposed to be about the game although reporters do ask questions about other things.

I think it is the exact opposite. This was the ONLY time he could get his piece out. The only distraction when talking about it after the victory is to the fans. Talk about it during the week and you are distracting the team from preparing for the next opponent.

He just needs to use social media (e.g. twitter) to reach out to his fans and never talk with the media again IMO.

So you really think the media are going to just forget about this week? Are they going to say that since Moss addressed the issue as part of last week's game, it is off limits this week?

Personally, if he addressed it on Wednesday or Thursday, it wouldn't give the press the access until the following week and the story may have died down. Now the team will have to address this issue for the entire week.

Personally, I think a press conference was the absolute worst place to address this story. He probably said a lot of things he probably regrets say and a lot of his quotes are made into sound bites to make them worse than they are. What he should have done is spoke to a player friendly reporter like Borges (who defended him and most players vs. management) and done an one on one interview.

It's clear to me what he wants.

He wants an extension, feels he deserves one, and so far, the team hasn't had any contact with Moss or his agent about an extension.

He's proven his worth, and he wants a little security in the unfortunate case he's injured. He said it himself, 'he's old', and if he does get injured this year and then subsequently not re-signed, he'll be a 34 year old WR coming off an injury with another team signing him probably to a 1-year deal reduced 'prove-it-again' contract to see if he's past his prime after the injury.

Not a way to respect the man after producing close to 50 TDs, an almost historic 19-0 undefeated season, and opening up the field for Welker & others for the last 3+ years, hence the 'slap in the face' comment. What would Welker be without a Randy Moss creating space for him?

How about paying the man a market value extension (Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald/Brandon Marshall money) for the next 3 seasons after this one? He's earned it. He keeps his body in terrific shape. He works very hard in the offseason with his training regimen.

Age shouldn't decrease his contract worth if he hasn't shown decline in his numbers. Just a shorter deal (2-4 years), instead of a long-term one (5+ years) would suffice.

Last edited:
So you really think the media are going to just forget about this week? Are they going to say that since Moss addressed the issue as part of last week's game, it is off limits this week?

Personally, if he addressed it on Wednesday or Thursday, it wouldn't give the press the access until the following week and the story may have died down. Now the team will have to address this issue for the entire week.

Personally, I think a press conference was the absolute worst place to address this story. He probably said a lot of things he probably regrets say and a lot of his quotes are made into sound bites to make them worse than they are. What he should have done is spoke to a player friendly reporter like Borges (who defended him and most players vs. management) and done an one on one interview.

I didn't say the media would forget about it. But it's a hell of a lot easier to deal with the crap they will spew this week after a comfortable victory in week ONE, than in a tough loss down the stretch when the media throws out the "Moss' unhappiness causing him to quit on the team down the stretch" crap. He got it on audio where you can listen to him rather than read the context-less quotes written around however the media wants to portray it. He's probably naive to think that the media is not still going to bring up the contract status as reason for any less than stellar performance, but that was his intention to nip it in the bud. He's got it on record but no one that didn't believe him will believe him anyway.

And talking about it on Wednesday or Thursday is far more self-centered and team-damaging than after a [good] game and before preparation. To even suggest that he do it in the middle of the week is to suggest that he really doesn't give his all to preparation and playing. The only thing better than when he did it would have been not at all. But the guy gets so much unwarranted crap said about him that I will not dog him for being upset enough to try to clarify something.

Seriously, the guy is being accused of QUITTING on his damn teammates, for selfish reasons and before he's even had a bad game. All the while he is busting his hump and doing everything the team needs (and then some). It's outrageously disrespectful to any competitive person to be accused of quitting, especially on teammates. Does anyone think that Brady would be the same PC, savvy media 'friendly' person he is if they were blasting him at every wrong turn and accusing him of QUITTING on his teammates? Sure maybe it's a chicken and egg thing but we can't change the past and we only live in the present.

It was a poor decision BECAUSE there's a clear divide in the people that openly root against Moss and those that understand what he really brings to the table. He didn't have to convince the people that already know he doesn't quit on the team, who already know he's a hard working receiver who "takes the top off" the defense like no other in history. And he will -never- convince those who simply refuse to believe he's anything but a lucky (DNA-wise) selfish SOB.

Well that was way too many words but in the end I'm not going to blow a simple presser out of proportion from a guy who has rarely made a mistake in NE and done as much as Moss has for the team.

If he addressed it on thursday, the hubub would be about how hes whining about his contract and not preparing to play this week, and hes a distraction in the lockerroom, etc.

His point was that hes not going to be that.

The meltdown never bothered me. I expected it from a Wr Diva. That is just how they are in my perception.

What did bother me is when he called out the people in the New England area not wanting him to succeed in a Patriots uniform. I got ------- mad as hell when he said that. I was like you got to be kidding me Moss. Every time I see you in a uniform I want you to do well. I want you to destroy Revis this weekend, 3 tds every game with a over a hundred yards per. That took some balls to say and I don't know if he is using us as a ploy to turn on the management. I'm not grabbing a pitch fork anytime soon Randy and I'm certainly not gonna ask them to trade or release you either. Just play the game and you will get paid one way or another. There is no way you are not going to. You are way too talented to not get a deal by either the Pats or another team at season's end.

I hope they talk about an extension because its downright scary wat they have if they lose him.I like Brandon Tate but he has to show more then just punt returns.Taylor Price is still an unknown.I am sure Welker would do his thing but not as effectively with Moss being on the other side.I look for this team to draft a WR in the first round next year.

Let's stop beating up on Moss. He's an extraordinary football player and deserves to be paid like one. He's also a bit insecure and needy, but who among us can't emphathize with that?

Personally, I know how remarks like the one he made post-game get made. They come out of overthinking and rumination. They come from egos that are more fragile than they look and more fragile than they should be.

What he said was very human and in my view, not even requiring a pass. Give the guy the money he deserves. Tell him he's a great Patriot and that he's been better than anyone dreamed he would be.

And here's one for the press: stop throwing gasoline on the fire. It looks like we have an opportunity for an excellent season. Stop sowing discontent and discord. Like many of us, maybe like all of us, Randy is a unique individual and deserves kind and understanding treatment.

What did bother me is when he called out the people in the New England area not wanting him to succeed in a Patriots uniform. I got ------- mad as hell when he said that. I was like you got to be kidding me Moss. Every time I see you in a uniform I want you to do well.

Then he wasn't talking to you. If you really don't think there's a big contingent of people who want him to fail (including sportswriters), then you're naive as they get.

Why is no one talking about his comments about Revis? He has prided his offseason to staying off of the island. Lets hope it worked!

Why is no one talking about his comments about Revis? He has prided his offseason to staying off of the island. Lets hope it worked!

shhh don't jinx it... just wait in silence.

That's good to hear they have spoken to him and addressed it

Now we move on

His new tweet that he has a feeling that Moss and Belichick reach an understanding... can't completely rule out anything by this though!

Huh? Are you saying that Moss' only incentive to play hard in 2010 is his next contract? Wasn't worded very clearly, so I want to make sure I'm not misreading that, because that's nuts.

I'd say that's a pretty huge incentive, wouldn't you?

Moss has very clearly stated that he wants to continue to play.

He's very clearly stated that he wants to be appreciated (i.e. paid well) in his next contract.

Now to say that money was Moss' ONLY incentive wouldn't be correct as Moss was due to make about $20 million in his remaining years in Oakland and didn't want to play for them anymore, opting to come to the Pats for less money.

But even them I'm sure he realized that playing on a loser team would affect his next contract too - hence he gave up millions to play for a winner in the Pats hoping to rehab his reputation and actually earn top dollar on his next contract.

So seeing as this might very well be Moss' last contract ever, depending on how much is guaranteed, yes, by paying him now you've taken away a very big chunk of a financial incentive for Moss to play hard.

Clearly the pride of playing hard isn't enough for Moss otherwise we would have seen more effort with Oakland. I'm not trying to bash Moss but it seems clear his next contract is a big incentive for him to play hard. There's nothing controversial about that.

The bottom line is that the Pats know this, and they also know that there's a good possibility the NFL won't be playing in 2011... so there's very limited incentive for them to shell out guaranteed money when the following season might not start until 2012 when Moss is 35.

I can't speak for Moss but if your boss offered to pay you your next 20 years of salary, guarnateed, up front, do you really think you'd be giving as much as if you had to earn it each and every year?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe