PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Irvin "Patriots have the toughest schedule I have seen in a long time"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just trying to figure out if I am going to get in a ton of trouble trying to watch the game Christmas eve. At a minimum, the miller lite will probably be kept to a minimum, sort of wrong to go to the candlelight service slightly lit.

Last year's schedule was tougher but i don't care really.We don't need 14 wins. Just win the division and for the love of god actually win a playoff game for a change.

I'm just trying to figure out if I am going to get in a ton of trouble trying to watch the game Christmas eve. At a minimum, the miller lite will probably be kept to a minimum, sort of wrong to go to the candlelight service slightly lit.

My plan is to surprise the wife telling her that I was really born in Kenya and I'm a Muslim so...

They should predict our Pats couldn't make the playoffs, I would love to see Brady and the gangs fired up and in the "prove everyone is wrong" mode.

First, there is a reason why Michael Irvin is an ESPN reject. Yes, part of it is his drug use, but it also has to do with him saying grandeous ludicrious statements.

Second, talking about strength of schedule at this point is useless. I guarantee you that there will be teams on the Pats' schedule that people think now will be a tough game which the team will struggle to get get to and possibly miss .500 and one or two teams that people expect to suck that will be a playoff or even Super Bowl contender. Last year, everyone thought that the Vikings was going to be a tough game for the Pats and that they and San Deigo were Super Bowl contenders. Both missed the playoffs. No one thought much about the Bears before the season and they won their division against the eventual Super Bowl champs.

Third, based on last year's record, the Pats SOS in 2010 is tougher than 2011. I know Irvin has trouble admitting it to himself, but the Cowboys just aren't that good. With Romo back and Phillips gone, they should be better, but they weren't playing well before Romo got hurt and the Cowboys' defense was surprisingly mediocre. As for the Eagles, teams seemed to have started to figure out Michael Vick late in the year (hence why he went from MVP candidate to out of the discussion). The Redskins don't even have a QB. Denver is totally rebuilding with no QB since they don't seem to want Tebow. The AFC and NFC North produced more playoff teams (and both Super Bowl participants) than the AFC West and NFC East (both division winners were one and done).

Fourth, the Pats have a relatively easy December/January schedule based on last year's results. After Indy December 4th, the Pats' final four games are against teams that went .500 or below last year. Having a soft schedule at the end of the year can really be huge for a run in the playoffs.

I still don't get except for Irvin's NFC East bias and/or Patriots anti-bias how anyone can say based on what we know right now that the Pats have the hardest schedule he has seen in years. Based on what we know right now, the Pats schedule last year was far harder They faced Baltimore, Green Bay, and Chicago (Baltimore and Green Bay are stronger than anyone they will face in either the AFC West or the NFC East). I don't know if the Pats can repeat a 14-2 season, but right now they have a better shot of it than they should have had last year based on the SOS based on 2010 results. The 2011 schedule right now is significantly easier than the 2010 based on what we know now.

Anyone seen this idiot on NFLN and his prognostication that this is the toughest schedule he has seen in a long time for any team and he GUARANTEES they will not duplicate 14-2 and kind of hinted the Jets will win the division.

The only thing I agree with is the Pats will likely not win 14 games again but I think the schedule from 2008 looked tougher than this one and we went 11-5 with a Bradyless team that year.

What else is frigging new? Michael Irvin is an idiot.....and the Pats have one of the toughest schedules ALMOST EVERY year!!! Nothing has changed......

Don't know what this clown is coming from, last years schedual was the toughest i can remember. Just went back and looked at it, i don't think its That Tough, again i thought last years was brutal, much worse than this years.

Last edited:
I didn't listen to the clip, so I don't know what his points were, but I'm always nervous when our guys go to Miami, the Chargers always play with a chip on their shoulder against us and the Raiders ended last season playing like they have something to prove. So, that makes the opening month anything but a walk in the park.

My favorite thing about the schedule: we play the Steelers after our bye.

I wouldn't be too hard on Irvin.

This has more to do with the NFL "beast" concept. Frankly, the NFL North and South are more daunting but the East has the reputation.

14-2 is more of a floor vs a ceiling.

Last edited:
Every year, people claim a schedule is going to be tough based on the previous year of the opponents' schedule. While some of those teams will duplicate and/or take a step forward, at least a 1/4 tend to drop off. IMO Buffalo won't make any leaps this year, I think Chan Gailey got lucky and I'm thinking Pittsburgh's age on D will start to catch up with them this year and the hard-hitting style they use won't benefit them, much in the way that the Pats age caught up with them in 08. I see the Pats going 11-5 or 12-4 with this schedule.

Anyone seen this idiot on NFLN and his prognostication that this is the toughest schedule he has seen in a long time for any team and he GUARANTEES they will not duplicate 14-2 and kind of hinted the Jets will win the division.

The only thing I agree with is the Pats will likely not win 14 games again but I think the schedule from 2008 looked tougher than this one and we went 11-5 with a Bradyless team that year.

We played the AFC and the NFC West in 2008. It was among the five easiest schedules in the league. You're insane if you think that looked tougher than next season's.

Until they get beaten, I'm saying 16-0 again. You go in with the highest of expectations and don't change them until the OTHER teams show they can beat the Patriots.

sounds like he hasn't lost his bag of coke...

Our schedule looked just as tough in 07......although we didnt win the ring, we did pretty damn good that season.

Our schedule looked just as tough in 07......although we didnt win the ring, we did pretty damn good that season.

That schedule in 2007 was BRUTAL. So damn impressive.

Check out my insight on games 1-3 on the Patsfans.com home page.

Irvin has taken a few too many hits from the crack pipe. Great player in his day, but as far as an analyst, he has zero clue on what he is talking about. He is a big a homer as Michael Strahan, Terry Bradshaw, and Shannon Sharpe.

My opinion as of right now, the Pats go 12-4. One of those games they lose are going to be a headscratcher. Like last years Cleveland game or 2008's Miami game at home.

Stay tuned for games 4-6 by the end of this week.

Mike

That schedule in 2007 was BRUTAL. So damn impressive.

Seems like every year's schedule this decade has been very challenging (except maybe '08). They played a lot of very good teams in '03 and did all right, '07 was just monstrous, and last year — after the loss to the Browns, this board had some serious melting down with an extremely tough schedule looming (Ian even posted a thread on tough times ahead). The way they shredded one top-flight team after another was just so impressive.

Just shows how masterful this organization has been in consistently winning at such a high level in a league system designed to keep him from doing so. The Patriots have been so good for so long I look at the '11 schedule, think "who do you fear?" and really come up with no one except possibly the Chargers and Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes