PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Good Does Mac Have To Be To Get His Option Picked Up?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mac will very likely be improved under a new OC, QB coach and a new OL line coach. We may or may not make the playoffs. We have a very difficult schedule. I could see us winning 8-10 this year and easily win a couple of more next year.
============================
What does Jones have to do for Belichick to pick up the 5th year option? This is not a trivial matter. The team would be guaranteeing $30M for the 2025 season.

Even if Jones has a good year, the choices would be to
1) say no and have him play a contract year for $5M while looking for another QB,
2) pay him for 2024 as a sort insurance policy and look for another QB, AND hope to sign a long term contract if he has a good year. I cn already hear the agent's response to that strategy.
3) say no, or even yes, and delay the real decision for a year, probably picking up a draftee to compete for #2 or even #1.

1. Like the defense, he needs to show he's capable of keeping up with teams .500 or better. Pats have a terrible record against these teams since his rookie year.
2. Put up some worthy stats to warrant getting paid that amount.
3. Needs to make the playoffs.

I mean, there are many factors.

While there are steps to take on the way to a championship, and that I’m not in the camp that it’s an absolute must to have a top 5 QB to win it all, you still need to believe the guy can take you to the SB. And it’ll be interesting to see if there is significant improvement this season.

Rookie Mac was a keeper with potential to be vg. Last year’s Mac liked pouting a lot for a guy with little production. Interesting year ahead of him.

The team will win if they can follow a good game plan, even if the QB is not the best in the league. The ability to execute the coaches direction and not turn the ball over in the process is the formula for success. Mac should be extended if he proves to be an above average NFL QB that produces reliable results. Mac should not be extended if he is an unpredictable turnover machine that does not produce points, or Zappe beats him out. At the moment Mac is the most expedient way for the Pats to be better next year, I am cheering for him to earn an extension.

I think if he shows the required improvements whatever that is in BBs mind then I think you would probably try to come to an agreement on a new contract not some forced 5th year option. You'd be getting ahead of things and hopefully can save a little cap that way and Mac would avoid the short term risk that the options come with. It likely wouldn't be a super long contract so that Mac can get a true starters long term deal next after proving himself over more years. Assuming it goes well. I don't think it will be that tricky so long as he does improve enough.

Flip side he does not improve and obviously the choice is easy but where it gets tricky is if he shows some improvement but not necessarily 30 mil worth of improvement. I think we'll have a good idea when the time comes though.

This is year 3, right? When does the option have to be picked up? Is it before or after year 4?

But the simple answer is you'll know it when you see it... Mac needs more than a few statement games that don't end in moral victories

I’m guessing a season of 4,000+ yards passing and 30+ TD passes and less than 15 INTs would do it. I still think the Pats will lean heavily on the running game this year.
30 TDs? That's a ridiculously high bar. He threw for about 3700 yds his rookie year. Getting back to that level would be a must, and what I'm looking for in his TD/pick ratio would be closer to 3:1 than 2:1

The most important thing I HOPE he is working on this off season is to improve his pocket presence and maneuverability/escapability. There ARE drills you can run that will help in that area.

Pretty damn good, Belichick isn’t giving him 30 million to be average. Either way they need to draft a QB high next year. Unless he turns into an elite QB he won’t be getting 40 million from the Patriots when he hits free agency.

Pretty damn good, Belichick isn’t giving him 30 million to be average. Either way they need to draft a QB high next year. Unless he turns into an elite QB he won’t be getting 40 million from the Patriots when he hits free agency.
Why would they to draft a QB if Mac shows great improvement? If he doesn't sure but if does no.

Too hard to say. Like someone else said, you’ll know it when you see it. Is Mac the reason you win games or is he costing you games? Is Mac producing at the level of qb’s around the league that are getting paid 30 mill, or is he close enough that you are hedging on his upside? I’d like to see him come in and improve at things like 4th qtr comebacks, sustaining long drives, completing crucial 3rd down passes, converting some fourths. I’d like to see his pocket presence improve and the level of outbursts on and off the field drop quite a bit.

30 TDs? That's a ridiculously high bar. He threw for about 3700 yds his rookie year. Getting back to that level would be a must, and what I'm looking for in his TD/pick ratio would be closer to 3:1 than 2:1

The most important thing I HOPE he is working on this off season is to improve his pocket presence and maneuverability/escapability. There ARE drills you can run that will help in that area.
How is that ridiculously high ? He’s going into his 3rd year, I don’t think 30+ TD passes is something that is unattainable. I know only 4 QBs did that last year, but the year before, 8 QBs did it. He had 22 as a rookie and 3800 yards. Seems to be the natural progression if he’s going to be better than he was as a rookie, 4,000+ yards and 30+ TD passes.Also, I agree, I rather a 3-1 TD to INT ratio.

If he’s going to be the guy, he has to progress at a good rate. Similar stats to his rookie year aren’t good enough.

Why would they to draft a QB if Mac shows great improvement? If he doesn't sure but if does no.

It would have to be amazing, because his agent is going to want 40 million a year if he’s even average. And I don’t see Belichick giving him that $$$ unless he’s elite, which would be a huge jump.

My position on this is that the QB market is so out of whack that any team that doesn’t have an elite QB needs to be continually taking them high until they find one, because paying huge money for mediocre QB’s makes no sense at all.

make the playoffs...WIN a playoff game...(my personal feeling is 5/12 is not out of the question, given the start he faces...8/9, 9/8 is NOT good enough if this team has aspirations of getting back to where they are accustomed.)

make the playoffs...WIN a playoff game...(my personal feeling is 5/12 is not out of the question, given the start he faces...8/9, 9/8 is NOT good enough if this team has aspirations of getting back to where they are accustomed.)

Agree. If he plays well enough to get them a playoff win they will most likely pick up his option. That would be a decent step forward. But it’s also a heavy lift given the schedule. Should be interesting to watch. He’s going to have to manage games in a similar fashion to what Brady did in 2001. Strong run game, make the most of 3rd downs and the red zone. Keep the defense off the field as much as possible. Win tight games. If he can’t make key plays the season could go south big time.

This is year 3, right? When does the option have to be picked up? Is it before or after year 4?

But the simple answer is you'll know it when you see it... Mac needs more than a few statement games that don't end in moral victories
The decision is made in March before his 4th year. If the option is picked up , he would play under his original compensation package for 2024 and for about $30M guaranteed in 2025.
============
As far as drafting a QB, I would see us doing that unless we extend Mac because we would need a QB in 2025. We certainly wouldn't count on him signing an extension, especially if the team didn't pick up the option.

Agreed. Mac has to learn how to relax and move in the pocket while looking downfield. He was improved at the end of 2022, and needs to keep growing.

It would have to be amazing, because his agent is going to want 40 million a year if he’s even average. And I don’t see Belichick giving him that $$$ unless he’s elite, which would be a huge jump.

My position on this is that the QB market is so out of whack that any team that doesn’t have an elite QB needs to be continually taking them high until they find one, because paying huge money for mediocre QB’s makes no sense at all.

What is it with fans on this board and worrying about Krafts money?

I'm all for continuing to draft QB's in the event one is a diamond in the ruff...But if Mac Jones makes a big enough improvement then the Patriots wont be drafting high. so its basically, have a good/decent QB, refuse to pay them, tank, draft high. wait 3 years to see if they are elite, if not repeat steps?

thats pretty poor management. the market for QB's isn't changing anytime soon. If the idea is that we arent going to pay the "going rate" for a decent QB in this market and will jettison them unless they are a Mahomes.....well get ready for many sub .500 seasons....

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back