PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Patriots Schedule Analysis, How I Would Have Drafted

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
"...Given the uncertainty of how the coaching duties will be divided (QB coach, Offensive Coordinator) I think this is going to be a rebuilding year. The defense will have quite a few new faces and it will take some time for them to gel. Sad to report, I am predicting a 6-11 season. I hope I am wrong."

I don't think you'll be wrong, unless the twin goddesses of Injuries & Weather both spread their legs even wider for us than they did last season.

I too would've chosen McDuffie or Elam if I had stayed at 21... But I have no problem at all with the trade-down; and there were worthy DBs such as Dax Hill, Kyler Gordon & Andrew Booth still available at 29, as well as DE George Karlaftis.

"Round 2 Pick #54 – I would not have traded up to 50..."

Neither would I... But I would've chosen DT Travis Jones at 54, even if Strange69 were still available... I do agree however that Skyy Moore should've been the pick if Bill insisted on trading up to 50 just to draft a WR.

85 is too early for Marcus Jones... Too small and too damaged-goods for a Day 2 pick... I would've taken DE Cam Thomas to help Judon, or maybe WR Jalen Tolbert, who is Infinity times better than BoneyT.

There's NFW I'm taking JackOff Jones at 121, or maybe at all... If Strange69 were unavailable at 85, then I'm taking OLman Zach Tom here, who profiles very closely with the Doctor except in the strength department (31-24).

127 is too early for a RB; that's what 158 is going to be used for... If Jalen Tolbert weren't the pick at 85 either, then I'm taking WR Romeo Doubs here as Agholor/Parker insurance/competition... Khalil Shakir would be the consideration if a Slot Receiver is the higher priority, though his shuttle & 3-cone times won't remind anyone of Julien Edelman... Kyle Phillips or Calvin Austin? I may regret this, but I like the other two a little better for us...

Since I've met all 5 of my pre-draft objectives, I'm going to start double-dipping at those same positions, starting at 137 with the best remaining CB - and No it's not Either of the Jones Boys: it's Zion McCollum... but if someone wants to pound the table for Tariq Woolen then I'm willing to listen... The mere suggestion that a...QB... be given consideration here is preposterous.

158 is a more appropriate spot for Pierre Strong; but if he's unavailable then no big deal: Ty Chandler or Kyren Williams will do just fine, thank you... We both get what we want at 127/158: same positions, different players maybe...

"I didn’t understand the selection of RB Kevin Harris at #183..."

Neither did I... I would've double-dipped at the OL by taking Jamaree Salyer here, though a case could also be made for Cade Mays.

Whatever this something called a "Sam Roberts" is, it was a Horrible pick, even at 200... I would've double-dipped at DE too, with Isaiah Thomas... Judon needs a LOT of help...

And I complete my 5-position double-dip with WR Bo Melton at 210... Speed AND quickness, unlike the 50th overall pick of the entire draft... And he's from Rutgers too! Win-Win!

And at 245, instead of drafting another Right-side-Only plodder like Steuber (and Chasen Hines earlier, unless he re-learns the Center position), I'll grab the best remaining LB from among JoJo Domann, Mike Rose, Jack Sanborn, Jeremiah Moon or Aaron Hansford, since I haven't taken one all weekend... Heck if Bill insisted on an OLman, then he should've gambled on greatness with PSU Tackle Rasheed Walker.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that in a re-draft in another thread, I chose Alabama CB Josh Jobe at #245; and I still might have in real time... But after looking at the remaining LBs and then looking at our depth chart, I think that a couple of the LBs above, at #245, could possibly beat out a couple of our own LBs, including those chosen by Bill within the top 100...

Last edited:
I'm afraid we will look back at this draft and see the Pats passed up on defensive talent who everyone and their Mom had mocked to the Pats that was right there for the taking from pick 21-29.

Can't believe people are still fooled by the dreaded trade down. It always looks good on paper or in theory. But when you see how it turned out with the players they chose, not so much.

Can't believe the are so many geniuses in here, must all be opposing GMS trying to rattle PatsFans....
Ignore button is getting quite the workout.

We're losing to Mitch Trubisky and Kirk Cousins? Was this article written by Tony Mazz?

Can't believe the are so many geniuses in here, must all be opposing GMS trying to rattle PatsFans....
Ignore button is getting quite the workout.
Can't believe the amount of rationalization on this board that some how this was a great draft, and a genius move when you trade your starting pro bowl rt tackle and then draft a tackle that could be had a rnd or two later, when your need was on defense.

We're losing to Mitch Trubisky and Kirk Cousins? Was this article written by Tony Mazz?
I can see it happening because of a combination of holes in the defense and the loss of the OC. Mac is in just his second year and has to adjust to another offensive coordinator and an OC that has never held the job before.

Can't believe the amount of rationalization on this board that some how this was a great draft, and a genius move when you trade your starting pro bowl rt tackle and then draft a tackle that could be had a rnd or two later, when your need was on defense.
I don't know if it was a great draft or not, but I can't believe the amount of certainly that many folks have that it was an absolute failure when they haven't palayed a single game yet. If 3 or 4 players hit then it will be a good draft regardless of where they were taken.

Not getting an edge rusher to pair with Judon, whose play dropped off mightily second half of the season, is going to hurt. Jermaine Johnson taken by the Jets, who moved up to get him, left the Patriots looking to plan B with Cole Strange.

I would have looked to trade down a second time a few spots and pick up an additional third- or fourth-rounder.

Chances would be good that at 34 to 37 Strange would still have been there.

Not getting a big, athletic linebacker also stings. The kid Anderson from Montana State or Leo Chernal from Wisconsin.

The pick that will most likely be scrutinized most this season will be the burner WR from Baylor with the skinny legs and tiny hands. Not a good impression.

I hope he proved the doubters wrong.

Not getting an edge rusher to pair with Judon, whose play dropped off mightily second half of the season, is going to hurt. Jermaine Johnson taken by the Jets, who moved up to get him, left the Patriots looking to plan B with Cole Strange.

I would have looked to trade down a second time a few spots and pick up an additional third- or fourth-rounder.

Chances would be good that at 34 to 37 Strange would still have been there.

Not getting a big, athletic linebacker also stings. The kid Anderson from Montana State or Leo Chernal from Wisconsin.

The pick that will most likely be scrutinized most this season will be the burner WR from Baylor with the skinny legs and tiny hands. Not a good impression.

I hope he proved the doubters wrong.

He also had wrists measured as the smallest in, like, Ever... A complete Anti-Patriot.

Pro Bowl RT?
When you start whining about something, you should know what POSITION they play.
YOU'RE a fkn idiot, STFU and back away from the bar.

He also had wrists measured as the smallest in, like, Ever... A complete Anti-Patriot.
And we all know that in the secret Belichick Notes from Cleveland he emphasized that he wanted above all "a thick wristed team"

Surprised our friend Mark isn't being relegated to the Brady/Bucs forum after this article. Solid B for big balls on this one Mark.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back